• javi2541997
    Instead, he respected the lawyers he could find who were taking him the election WAS rigged.

He fired the lawyers because they weren't telling him what he had already decided must be true.
    flannel jesus

If I were Donald Trump, I would have fired those lawyers as well. What is the point of paying an amount of dollars to lawyers who will not follow up your strategic defence plan? Whether Trump lies or not, it is obvious that he will not hire lawyers who would not represent him effectively.
  • flannel jesus
    follow up your strategic defence planjavi2541997

But that's what's so damning about his quote - it shows that the whole "stolen election" argument was his *plan*, rather than something he believed because he was shown reliable evidence.

He fired the lawyers because they were telling the emperor he had no clothes.
  • javi2541997
    He fired the lawyers because they were telling the emperor he had no clothes.flannel jesus

He fired them because they were not willing to do their job.
  • Michael
    He fired them because they were not willing to do their job.javi2541997

Their job is to advise him on legal matters, and they were advising him that he had no legal basis to challenge the results of the election.
  • flannel jesus
    I think Michael's got it right. Sometimes doing their job involves less boot licking and more objective reality
  • unenlightened
    Except criminal lawyers, whose job is to represent the client's version of reality.
  • Fooloso4

It is not the job of a criminal lawyer to aid and abet criminal activity. After the fact, the lawyer's job is to establish that there was no criminal activity.
  • flannel jesus
    criminal lawyers, or *criminal* lawyers.
  • EricH
    Except criminal lawyers, whose job is to represent the client's version of reality.unenlightened

I can't speak for other countries, but here in the USA that is most definitely NOT the job of a criminal lawyer. The job of a criminal lawyer in the US is to demonstrate to the jury (or judge if the defendant so chooses) that - based on the evidence presented in the trial by both sides -that the prosecution has not proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. If the lawyer thinks the prosecution has not presented sufficient evidence, then the lawyer does not have to do a thing except convince the judge or jury (in summation) that there is insufficient evidence.
  • javi2541997
    The job of a criminal lawyer in the US is to demonstrate to the jury (or judge if the defendant so chooses) that - based on the evidence presented in the trial by both sides -that the prosecution has not proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. If the lawyer thinks the prosecution has not presented sufficient evidence, then the lawyer does not have to do a thing except convince the judge or jury (in summation) that there is insufficient evidence.EricH

Perfectly explained, and that's what Donald J. Trump is asking for from their lawyers. A group of legal experts to help him to convince the jury that he is innocent. Why is this evil? If I were Trump's lawyer, I would give my best to represent him in court because that is why he hired me in the first place. Whether Trump is condemned or not, it is upon the jury/judge's final decision.
  • GRWelsh
    But aren't we talking about lawyers Trump hired long before he was indicted for anything? The context is that Trump was hiring lawyers to advise him and help him challenge the election results in the courts. At that point, they weren't on the defense -- they were on the offense, and making the claim that the election was rigged and stolen and so they had the burden of proof.
  • unenlightened
    Well aren't we all putting on our wigs and getting excited! I maintain that the defendants version of the truth is liable to be that they are not guilty, and then their lawyers' business is to make this somewhat credible. Accordingly, a lawyer who warned in advance that one's proposed actions were illegal would be ill-placed to mount a defence thereof.
  • flannel jesus
    that's not the lawyers I was talking about, who he fired lmao. You got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

He was talking about lawyers he had on his team prior to Jan 6, not the lawyers he now relies on to defend him in court.
  • NOS4A2

There is a movement to disbar and condemn the lawyers who work for Trump. Famed defense lawyer Alan Dershowitz, who defended Trump in his first impeachment, has illustrated how shadowy legal groups like The 65 project has sought his own disbarment. He often notes that he has been effectively alienated from his usual social groups because he had the gall to believe that one particular defendent deserved representation. He says of the most recent indictment that it is the worst example yet of criminalizing lawyers and strikes at the heart of democracy and the US constitution.
  • flannel jesus
    I've only recently realised that you misunderstood the context of all of this.

This wasn't trump firing lawyers from his criminal trials. This was trump firing lawyers long before any charges were brought against him, during his campaign to overturn the election results.

I'm going to spell out a few more things for you here as well because there was a lot of things you might have misunderstood.

Nobody is saying it was wrong, criminal, or anything like that for him to fire these lawyers. He can hire and fire whatever lawyers he wants - THAT'S not what's so interesting about what he's saying in the Twitter clip.

What's interesting about what he's saying is it proves that the legal experts he surrounded himself with were all telling him he didn't have enough evidence to maintain that the election was stolen. So he fired them and hired lawyers who were telling him what he wanted to hear. Which means he can no longer honestly say "I believed the election was stolen based on reliable expert analysis", because all the experts around him were telling him it wasn't stolen. It means the root concept in his brain that the election was stolen originated from within him.

It was his idea to argue the election was stolen, against the grain of evidence and expert opinion.

Which blows a hole in his own current defense
  • javi2541997
    So he fired them and hired lawyers who were telling him what he wanted to hear.flannel jesus

I clearly understand what you are complaining about, and I am aware of the context. Nonetheless, you are mixing up many things regarding lawyer's work, and that is seen in the phrase I quoted from you. It doesn't matter if Trump hired those lawyers before or after the rigged elections. Here the key is how effective the lawyers should be (that's why you pay a lot of money to them) when you need their help.

On the other hand, I doubt that Trump wasted thousands of dollars just to hear "what he wants to". He is not stupid, and maybe he is not the type of politician you like, but it is obvious that he will not waste his money on useless lawyers (before the election issue or afterwards). The aim of the lawyers is to try to get what Trump is looking for. Again, this is why you pay them. If the lawyers do not want to help Trump out, they are fired. Simple.

He has the idea that the elections were stolen. Now, he is searching lawyers to help him in court to go in that path or strategy. And again, whether Trump conspired or not, the final decision is on the judges.

If someone says he is lying, prove it with the defence of your lawyer. As well as Trump needs to prove that the elections were rigged.
  • NOS4A2

I’m afraid the only expertise of “legal experts” is law. An election is a political venture, not a legal one. So I’m not sure why you’d think his lawyers were the kind of experts he was referring to.
  • Fooloso4

As usual, short on facts and long on hyperbole and misrepresentation. The complaint against Dershowitz has nothing to do with him being a social outcast.
  • NOS4A2

Why would you pretend I said the complaint against Dershowitz has something to do with him being a social outcast? Because you like men of straw.
  • Mikie
    Yawn. Trump is a criminal and tried to overthrow an election. May he drop dead soon.

Fun to watch his few sycophants here playing three card monty with the truth.
  • Fooloso4
    Why would you pretend I said the complaint against Dershowitz has something to do with him being a social outcast?NOS4A2

You say that he has illustrated how shadowy legal groups like The 65 Project have sought to disbar and condemn the lawyers who work for Trump. How has he illustrated this? In the next sentence you say he notes how he has been effectively alienated from his usual social group because he had the gall to believe that one particular defendent deserved representation.

One has nothing to do with the other, but you move from the one to the other as if it is all one and the same. Until you are called out on it. His defense of Trump in the first impeachment has nothing to do with the 65 Project's complaint against him. He, like Trump, wants to play the victim.
  • GRWelsh
    We all know what happened at this point, but a few people are still in denial. Trump had a pattern of behavior dating back to the 2016 Iowa primary and general election of claiming the only way he could lose is if it there was election fraud. So, it was no surprise that he did it again in 2020. This wasn't a belief based on evidence, it was a strategy. And of course he was going to fire any of his lawyers and underlings who didn't go along with the strategy. Fortunately for our country, there were those willing to not go along with his strategy to overturn the election. Unfortunately for Trump, the consequences are catching up with him.
  • NOS4A2

I was just listing the typical anti-Trumpism he faced, at least according to him, both the attempt to remove people from their careers and the ostracism people face should they oppose anti-Trump narratives. He has spoken about it many times.
  • flannel jesus
    He has the idea that the elections were stolen. Now, he is searching lawyers to help him in court to go in that path or strategy.javi2541997

And if it's true that he just invented that idea out of thin air, I hope he goes to prison for it. That's dictator behaviour.
  • Fooloso4
    I was just listing the typical anti-Trumpism he facedNOS4A2

Obviously, you did not read the complaint against Dershowitz. Your spurious allegation that the 65 Project is shadowy is without evidence. This is a typical Trumpian tactic, attempt to discredit anyone who attempts to bring to light to the actions of Trump and his minions.

Dershowitz and others whose lawsuit, Lake v Hobbs, against the Grand Canyon State’s election process, failed and Dershowitz and the others were sactioned. For details.
  • Mikie
    Trump says for years he won’t accept the results of an election unless he wins.

He loses fair and square.

Then — surprise — refuses to accept the outcome and tries to literally overturn the election. The justification is irrelevant — it could have been anything. Maybe aliens came down from the moon and rigged the numbers. Of course there’s no evidence for any of it. A child could understand this.

Of course these crazy ramblings and predictable excuses for being a loser had their time in court (laughably), and of course 60+ were thrown out by Republican and Democrat appointed judges.

That brings us to today, where Trump is being held accountable. Turns out you can’t overturn the results just because they hurt your ego.

Maybe one day we’ll get to the bottom of the Moon People stealing the election though. Who knows. :roll:
  • NOS4A2

I don’t care about the complaint of anti-Trump forces, nor if you lap it all up.

A dark money group with ties to Democratic Party heavyweights will spend millions this year to expose and try to disbar more than 100 lawyers who worked on Donald Trump’s post-election lawsuits, people involved with the effort tell Axios.

David Brock, who founded Media Matters for America and the super PAC American Bridge 21st Century and is a Hillary Clinton ally and prolific fundraiser for Democrats, is advising the group.

Brock told Axios in an interview that the idea is to "not only bring the grievances in the bar complaints, but shame them and make them toxic in their communities and in their firms."

https://www.axios.com/2022/03/07/trump-election-lawyers-disbar
  • Tzeentch
    The whole Biden administration belongs to the US Ukraine portfolio, so it's kind of obvious what's wrong on, really.
  • NOS4A2

At almost every step Ukraine appears to be a common theme. It is becoming more and more evident that Trump got in the way of their ongoing regime-change and proxy war in Ukraine.
  • Fooloso4
    I don’t care about the complaint of anti-Trump forces ...NOS4A2

Of course you don't. At least now that it is clear you can't spin it the way you want. You brought it up.

Some key points in the Axios article:

1.The group is working to expose and try to disbar lawyers who worked on Donald Trump’s post-election lawsuit.

None of those lawsuits were found to have merit and those who attempt to overturn an election should be exposed. Those who seek to bring it to light do not operate in the shadows.

2.The 65 Project hopes to deter right-wing legal talent from signing on to any future GOP efforts to overturn elections.

3 Advisory board members include Paul Rosenzweig, a conservative and member of the Federalist Society.

Meritless efforts to overturn an election should not be tolerated.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.