• L'éléphant
    It's a sad, sad world.

What's wrong with Biden? Why is he being criticized so much?
  • frank
    What's wrong with Biden? Why is he being criticized so much?L'éléphant

He has a speech impediment. He stutters. Old people tell me that every year after 80 gets harder. I don't think that's true for everyone, but the basic idea is that as a person's mental and physical health decline, whatever problems they've always had get a little worse. For Biden, this means his ability to communicate gets worse.
  • L'éléphant

So in America, criminality is more acceptable than aging?

Lord have mercy!
  • NOS4A2

His criminal son is his closest advisor in case you were worried.
  • NOS4A2
    Remember when everyone was duped by these crooks?

For months, Democrats have alluded to but largely danced around the question of whether President Trump might be compromised by Russia. On Thursday, Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) decided it was time to stop dancing so much.

“I’m talking about the entirely legitimate question of whether Donald Trump could be compromised by the Russian government,” he says in prepared remarks for a floor speech he just began. “It’s more than a legitimate question.”

“For should the facts confirm our greatest fears to be true, I ask my colleagues to consider what the history books will say about those who knew the president of the United States was compromised by a foreign power and yet still did nothing.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/02/14/they-deserve-know-if-donald-trump-is-an-agent-russian-federation-democratic-senator-makes-case-trump-being-compromised/

Sen. Bob Menendez found guilty on all counts, including acting as foreign agent, in federal corruption trial

Sen. Bob Menendez was found guilty on all counts Tuesday in his federal corruption trial.

Federal prosecutors in New York alleged the New Jersey Democrat accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes in the form of cash, gold bars, mortgage payments and more in exchange for the senator's political clout. Three New Jersey businessmen who were also charged, along with the governments of Egypt and Qatar, were the alleged recipients. Two of those co-defendants, Wael Hana and Fred Daibes, were also convicted of all counts they faced.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/sen-bob-menendez-federal-corruption-trial-verdict/story?id=111295557

It must feel so embarrassing.
  • Echarmion
    So in America, criminality is more acceptable than aging?L'éléphant

You have to understand that the mindset is that all politicians are criminals, Trump's just the only one who's honest enough to be caught.
  • Benkei
    Aging is an issue for one of the most important jobs in the world and in Biden's case we're talking about dementia. He's a vegetable half of the time.
  • frank
    So in America, criminality is more acceptable than aging?L'éléphant

Criminality is better than dementia. There's a worry that Biden will soon be unable to recognize people around him. We don't know.
  • Wayfarer
    So in America, criminality is more acceptable than aging?

Lord have mercy!
    L'éléphant

:100: :pray:
  • Benkei
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xT4YpIt9zLE

I still don't like him but it was well done indeed.
  • Wayfarer
    Sen. Bob Menendez found guilty on all counts, including acting as foreign agent, in federal corruption trialNOS4A2

The difference being, when a Democrat member is found guilty of felony, the Party expels him. When it's a Republican, they make him leader.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I don’t think anyone should be forced to register for anything.NOS4A2

Birth certificate? Driver's license? Social security? Taxation? What are you anarchist?
  • NOS4A2

One accepted bribes from foreign countries, the other’s accountant wrote “legal fees” in a ledger. One did something wrong, illegal, the other did nothing wrong and was railroaded by a corrupt prosecutor. That’s the difference.
  • Mikie
    One did something wrong, illegal, the other did nothing wrongNOS4A2

NOS’s political analysis in a nutshell.
  • tim wood
    the other did nothing wrongNOS4A2
    Your contention is that Trump did nothing wrong?
  • NOS4A2

That’s right.
  • Lionino
    What's wrong with Biden?L'éléphant

Dementia.

Why is he being criticized so much?L'éléphant

Dementia.

Aging is an issue for one of the most important jobs in the world and in Biden's case we're talking about dementia. He's a vegetable half of the time.Benkei

Thanks. If you are interested, the "half of the time" is due to sundowning.
  • Lionino
    Trump being almost shot is a borderline irrelevant event in the great scheme of things — despite the cool picture. It would be another matter had he actually been shot to death. Proof of that: the thing is already losing steam only 2 days after. Just a bunch of dorks thinking they are in a Hollywood drama meanwhile a cartoonishly evil literal cabal of p*d*philes envolving politicians and billionaires was found out in 2018 and people forgot about it one year later while Bill Clinton runs around free :rofl: A country of oestrogenated fist-shakers, despite the guns lying around. The attempt changes nothing besides give Trump an advantage in the elections.

Shinzo Abe's actual death, being no longer a PM and only a member of the chamber, seems more relevant in comparison, especially when the matter of Unification Church is taken into account.
  • Wayfarer
    Say what you like about J D Vance, he can write. Here's one of his pre-Trump articles, the one in which he compares Trump to heroin, one of the articles he had to renounce in order to climb the greasy pole.

What Trump offers is an easy escape from the pain. To every complex problem, he promises a simple solution. He can bring jobs back simply by punishing offshoring companies into submission. As he told a New Hampshire crowd—folks all too familiar with the opioid scourge—he can cure the addiction epidemic by building a Mexican wall and keeping the cartels out. He will spare the United States from humiliation and military defeat with indiscriminate bombing. It doesn’t matter that no credible military leader has endorsed his plan. He never offers details for how these plans will work, because he can’t. Trump’s promises are the needle in America’s collective vein. — J D Vance
  • fishfry
    I'm more of a free trader.
    — fishfry

Well the Trump cult does love their delusions.
    Mikie

That's a curious statement.

Trump is not a free trader. You asked what Trump did that I disagreed with, and I mentioned tariffs. He's big on tariffs. So he's the opposite of a free trader.

So when I said I'm a free trader (or more of one; it's a matter of degree, of course) you could have said, "You're delusional to be a free trader." We could have that argument.

But to say that the "Trump cult" is delusional, in the context of free trade, makes no sense. I PART with Trump on the issue of free trade.

Was that too subtle for you? You ask what Trump did that I disagreed with; then I tell you free trade; and you say I'm in the Trump cult because I DISAGREE with him on free trade.
  • Tzeentch
    Trump being almost shot is a borderline irrelevant event in the great scheme of things — despite the cool picture.Lionino

Hmmm. This is perhaps the one instance where I think who becomes the next US president somewhat matters.

The US establishment has been deeply split over the 'pivot to Asia' (ergo - pivot away from Europe and Ukraine). If Trump were to become president it might be the moment this pivot finally happens. That would mark a fundamental shift in US foreign policy. This is why Europeans are getting nervous, Ukrainians are getting nervous, etc.

The election might be considered irrelevant to the extent that US foreign policy will be guided by geopolitical realities anyway, which will force it to pivot sooner or later. Whether that happens now or during another presidency somewhere down the line (headed by Trump or someone else) I think does matter.

The world changed drastically over the course of Biden's presidency, and it may change drastically again over the course of the next.

The window during which the US can defend its position in the world is closing.

If the US has to endure another presidency during which it focuses on the wrong things, makes the wrong decisions and sees its international power and credibility evaporate, I think it will greatly influence the US position when the pivot to Asia finally does happen and it will most likely be too late.
  • Tzeentch
    Don't you think the failed assassination attempt makes Trump more likely to be elected in what is bound to be a close election?
  • NOS4A2
    Senator Bob Menendez, who accused Trump of being a foreign agent, was just convicted of being foreign agent.

And now writer Max Boot, an anti-Trump propagandist from the Washington Post who made his name accusing Trump of being a foreign agent, his wife has been accused of being a foreign agent. You can’t make this stuff up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cqv5qd82pjlo.amp

Accuse others of what you yourself is doing is the modus operandi of these people. It applies to nearly everything.
  • Lionino
    Yes, I do, I literally said that almost word for word in my post. The same thing happened with Bolsonaro in 2018 and eventually people forgot about it.
  • Tzeentch
    Ok, so how is it borderline irrelevant when you seem to agree the event may give Trump an advantage in a possibly highly consequential US election? :brow:
  • Lionino
    Because, if it was the case that he would have won either way, the shooting would have been entirely irrelevant.
  • Mikie

Then let me make it simple:

You’re part of the Trump cult.
    The Trump cult loves their delusions.
    Free trade and free markets — are delusions.

I never said Trump loved free trade. Trump has no principles or real beliefs of any kind.
  • tim wood
    Nos4, you endlessly miss the point. Trump is a very bad man. That's not relative to or compared to anyone else. And as it happens he happens to draw to himself other bad and very bad people. I think you're English, not American, but even so if he is elected - God help us - as I observed in 2020, Americans will get what they wish for and regret it, and even people like you will rue it.
  • Wayfarer
    For anyone other than Trump supporters, it’s been a pretty terrible couple of months. I think what’s happening right at the moment, is that the Trump campaign has hired a couple of very savvy senior advisors, Chris LaCivita and Susie Wiles, who have persuaded him to drop all the crazy talk on the homestretch and pretend to be a principled politician. He’s learned from his first time in office and also won over some very powerful backers. There is a widespread belief that he has the election in the bag.

There are many dreadful things about the prospect of Trump winning, but chief amongst them is that the many lies he tells, and that his followers seem to swallow whole, will become baked into the record.

* He really won the 2020 election, which was rigged (even though 60 lawsuits attempting to prove it failed and it became subject of the largest defamation payout in American history.)
    * Joe Biden is corrupt (even though a multi-year Congressional Oversight enquiry never found a shred of evidence)
    * The January 6th assault on American democracy was either exaggerated or instigated by someone other than Trump
    * The many recorded conversations of Trump threatening States Attorneys General to shake down votes don’t matter or mean anything
    * That all the criminal indictments and civil cases brought against Trump were the consequences of deep state corruption.
    *That Trump’s first term was something other than a schemozzle

Like, we’re all supposed to swallow these, and forget about the lies told and crimes likely committed. That lies will become the truth, and ‘alternative facts’ will prevail.

That the bad guys will have won.

Hopefully at the last, 51% of the electorate will see that, and vote accordingly.
  • jgill
    Hopefully, Biden will be eased out of the race and replaced by a more worthy opponent for Trump. Kamala Harris is good at reading teleprompters, but does she have presence of mind and ability to argue off the cuff?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.