• Fooloso4

I fixed his statement:

We’ll have it fixed so good you won't be able to vote. — Trump
  • Wayfarer
    And Republicans complain that Trump is ‘falsely accused’ of threatening democracy….. :chin:
  • NOS4A2
    Here's the new hoax, right on time.

Trump faces backlash for ‘in four years, you don’t have to vote again’ remark

Some Democrats say his comments, directed at a Christian audience, signaled his plans to be a dictator. His campaign says he was talking about ‘uniting’ the country, and experts point to his ‘deliberately ambiguous’ speaking style.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/07/27/trump-faces-backlash-four-years-you-dont-have-vote-again-remark/

What's missing is some context, namely, the speech itself. His scolding of Christians for their low voter turnout makes his later comment make sense, and his enemies imaginations looks stupid.

And by the way, Christians have to vote. You know, I don't want to scold you. But do you know that Christians do not vote proportionately? They don't vote like they should. They're not big voters. You know, who else aren't voters? The NRA endorsed me very powerfully strongest endorsement. They can give National Rifle Association people that own guns and rifles are not big voters. They have to vote if you don't vote, we're not going to win the election. If you do vote, we're going to win in a landslide. Too big to rig, we're going to win in a landslide. But Christians, you know, you'll go to church every Sunday and pastor Paula White and all of the people I understand they're doing lock boxes in churches where people don't even have to go to vote. They can now vote in church. And if you do that, we're going to win by numbers that nobody's ever seen before. You know, you have tremendous power but you just don't know that, but you have to use that power. Christians are a group that's known not to vote very much. You have to go out at least this election. Just give us and get us into that beautiful white house vote for your congressmen and women vote for your senators. We will change this country for the better this country will be great again, like never before you've got to vote and I've said it before and I'll say it again.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?537386-1/president-trump-speaks-turning-point-believers-summit

But the anti-Trump movement is going back to the tried and true Live Action Role-play tactics, so with their activism they can pretend they are saving democracy, looking for that straight up dopamine hit. And this after their party removed the primary winner and installed their own candidate, so it's a double deceit.
  • frank
    "we'll have it fixed so good you're not going to have to vote.". --Trump

People who vote for Trump think we need a dictator. Do we?
  • Benkei
    Just as stupid as labeling Biden withdrawing his candidacy as a coup. So you're in good company.
  • frank
    "You know, FDR 16 years — almost 16 years — he was four terms. I don’t know, are we going to be considered three-term? Or two-term?” Trump quipped at the National Rifle Association annual meeting, speaking before a crowd of gun rights supporters.". Politico

He wants to change term limits.
  • NOS4A2

Get angry when I do it, dead silence when others do. You’re in good company.
  • Benkei
    You mistake disinterest with anger because you're just projecting.
  • NOS4A2

Disinterested? You get miffed and insulting when anyone corrects the record, but when they lie and spread disinfo it’s dead silence. Just weird priorities, that’s all.
  • Benkei
    You parrotting Trump talking points doesn't equate "correcting the record". In fact, you're the primary source of disinformation on this site.
  • NOS4A2

But refuting plain nonsense does equate to correcting the record. One thing you cannot do is defend the nonsense with lies any longer. This whole thread is a compendium of your work, your disinterestedness. So it might be best to avoid bringing up disinfo.
  • Benkei
    I never bring up anything in this thread. I engage Bullshit.
  • NOS4A2

You’re the second post.

So do you think Trump’s comments signal that he will end elections?
  • tim wood
    Your contention is that Trump did nothing wrong?
    — tim wood
    That’s right.
    — NOS4A2
    tim wood

Just a reminder to folks that nos4 is a complete something. What, exactly, I'm not sure, but its not good, and on TPF it - he - is a waste of time.
  • NOS4A2

Still can’t tell me what he did wrong?
  • Benkei
    I think Trump is a wannabe dictator as borne out by his actions on the 6th of Jan. and the obstruction he committed during the Müller investigation. I don't really care to delve into the details of everything he says. I took your word for the interpretation but pointed out your own equally stupid interpretation of Biden withdrawing his candidacy.
  • AmadeusD
    I think everyone is taking Trump the person way more seriously than he takes himself. He's muddling through - not planning a decade-long campaign to be dictator. He doesn't care enough.
    The potential results of his political career are legitimately worrying, but he is clearly not the psychopathic mastermind everyone is positing half the time (and a bumbling moron the other half.. go figure). If anything, he is being co-opted for his charisma for genuinely either malicious, or delusional politicians behind him (the heinous Christians, obviously, one of which he is not. He is LARPing, ironically).
  • Fooloso4
    I think everyone is taking Trump the person way more seriously than he takes himself.AmadeusD

There is one thing Trump cares about - Trump.

He's muddling through - not planning a decade-long campaign to be dictator.AmadeusD

What do you make of Project 2025?

He doesn't care enough.AmadeusD

Of course he does! He is driven by his ego. He wants unquestioned loyalty. He courts strong-man leaders of other countries. He uses the dictatorial tactics of fear, disinformation, and scapegoating.

... he is clearly not the psychopathic mastermind ...AmadeusD

This is half true. He is not a mastermind. He has other people doing the thinking for him.

If anything, he is being co-opted for his charisma for genuinely either malicious, or delusional politicians behind himAmadeusD

He is not. There are some who use his popularity and think they can use him for their own ends, but this is a mistake. He is unpredictable and cannot be controlled.
  • AmadeusD
    There is one thing Trump cares about - Trump.Fooloso4

Yep, agree there.

What do you make of Project 2025?Fooloso4

It's not much to do with Trump. He's running with it because it'll work for him.

Of course he does! He is driven by his ego. He wants unquestioned loyalty. He courts strong-man leaders of other countries. He uses the dictatorial tactics of fear, disinformation, and scapegoating.Fooloso4

Haha, case in bloody point mate.

He is unpredictable and cannot be controlled.Fooloso4

This is a ridiculous statement and patently untrue. I'll leave it there.
  • frank

I'm not all that interested in Trump. I'm more interested in what his popularity means for the future. When asked about his authoritarian language, he commented that a lot of people like it. Where a lot of people favor dictatorship, one is likely to develop.
  • AmadeusD
    I'm more interested in what his popularity means for the futurefrank

(Y)
    he commented that a lot of people like itfrank

Well, of course he would. And most people do like strong, decisive language. It's hard to take seriously hte kind of mealy-mouthed horseshit most politicians give out. That's not to say this is good but it certainly doesn't insinuate his votes want a dictator. That's a rather bizarre claim, tbh (not that you precisely made it).
  • frank

A lot of his supporters do want a dictator. His running mate believes democracy should be replaced with monarchy.
  • AmadeusD
    I see no evidence of wanting a dictator, as opposed to being stupid.

Perhaps - but his running mate is also an idiot, who voters aren't happy with. Indicates a lot..
    But also, there's a monarchy in several states where there is no dictator :) I realise Vance is probably not thinking along those lines. But, he's also not really to be taken seriously.
  • frank
    I see no evidence of wanting a dictatorAmadeusD

I think that's because where you are everything is upside down.
  • Fooloso4
    It's not much to do with Trump. He's running with it because it'll work for him.AmadeusD

It will do for him what he in his incompetency was not able to do in his first term.

Haha, case in bloody point mate.AmadeusD

? These examples show that he does care to be a dictator. Dictators grab power for their own benefit.

He is unpredictable and cannot be controlled.
    — Fooloso4

This is a ridiculous statement and patently untrue. I'll leave it there.
    AmadeusD

On almost a daily basis he demonstrates that he is unpredictable. He cannot be controlled because he cannot control himself. By all means leave it there.
  • Fooloso4
    I'm not all that interested in Trump. I'm more interested in what his popularity means for the future.frank

I agree that eliminating Trump does not eliminate the problem. I don't know if the factions can remain united without him though.
  • AmadeusD
    Haha, I see what you did there ;)

It will do for him what he in his incompetency was not able to do in his first term.Fooloso4

More-or-less agree.

These examples show that he does care to be a dictator.Fooloso4

The, quite strictly, do not.

On almost a daily basis he demonstrates that he is unpredictable.Fooloso4

I note your ability to predict him, and nought else :) That's fair.
  • RogueAI
    This concerns me too. A society where someone like Trump is favored to win the presidency is not a healthy society.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.