• Metaphysician Undercover
    Not quite a philosophical contributor.Outlander

Exactly, very little, if anything of philosophical value there.
  • I like sushi
    Just popped back in to reassess the issue. I haven’t seen any comments made by mods that show anything but a modicum of self-realisation.

Almost nothing put forward by the mods holds weight in their reason for the banning. Maybe not everyone here has read through the pages and compared and contrasted what was said, the manner it was put across in and what constitutes ‘poor quality’ posts.

Chester’s posts - agreement with what he says is irrelevant - were of no more ‘poor quality’ than some off-hand quips and insults thrown around by others with far less to say.
  • Benkei
    self-realisationI like sushi
    :chin:

Chester’s posts - agreement with what he says is irrelevant - were of no more ‘poor quality’ than some off-hand quips and insults thrown around by others with far less to say.I like sushi

If al your posts are like that then it's a problem. Quips and the occasional insult aren't an issue in and of themselves.
  • Baden

Anyone who continuously posts low quality like @Chester will be banned. Take him as a brilliant example of what not to do on the site. If you still can't work out why, that's fine. But we're not going to spend days and days explaining one of the most obvious banning decisions we ever made to someone who has decided they just won't accept it.
  • Hanover
    I banned @Nuke today for refusing moderation after multiple deletions of posts and specific PMs asking him to stop posting low quality posts containing nothing other than pictures with no verbal content.
  • Benkei
    Shame. He was capable of decent posts.
  • Baden
    Hardly a quicker route to exit than refusing moderation. I imagine he knew that and was engaged in a last hurrah.
  • DingoJones

What do you think the reason is for that kamikaze “hurrah” we see too often on this forum? There have been a few now who clearly decide they are going to act out and get banned.
  • Baden

People not getting what they want and not being able to handle it. A self-destructive streak maybe? I'm not going to psychologize it more than that. Powers of self-restraint vary.
  • DingoJones

Ya, It seems to be something about how they are received. That Terrapin guy always turned when people either didnt accept his framing or they didnt understand his framing and he did suicide by mod when too many of his discussion went that way. That Nuke guy seemed to be upset that his taunts/rants didnt get enough support or reaction once the discussion degenerated into mud slinging so he suicided by mod in his attempt to escalate it.
    Fragile ego’s and/or narrow interest of engagement would be my guess.
    I dont wanna say trolling..but there is something trollish to it. Its a very focused, self serving sort of engagement like trolling is...I mean there aren’t that many good philosophy sites so there is some cost to it if they are interested in that kinda thing.
    I dont know why it fascinates me but it does.
  • Baden

Human nature. :scream:
  • Hanover
    What do you think the reason is for that kamikaze “hurrah” we see too often on this forum? There have been a few now who clearly decide they are going to act out and get banned.DingoJones

A topical analogy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_cop
  • Brett

All in all I think the mods do a pretty good job in managing this forum.
  • Brett

A bit of “Oooltra violence”.
  • fdrake
    After several days of discussion, banned @ernestm.

Reasons for decision: comments containing phrases like "black coon" (joke or racist double en tendre?), "SUPREME BLACK RACE", while all individually have extenuating circumstances, when taken in total it seems necessary to ban them.
  • creativesoul

The current revolution brings them out...
  • Banno
    thought that might happen.
  • unenlightened
    Right decision, but a shame.
  • Pfhorrest
    He appears to not be banned?

Not that I particularly want him banned, just seems odd.
  • Hanover
    He appears to not be banned?Pfhorrest

Can you provide the link where he appears not to be banned?
  • Pfhorrest
    Weird, it was this post that appeared right before I commented, but now I see that post says it was posted 1d ago. And his site role still says "Banned". Not sure what happened there.
  • Changeling
    The Unimportance of Being @ernestm
  • Hanover
    Weird, it was this post that appeared right before I commented, but now I see that post says it was posted 1d ago. And his site role still says "Banned". Not sure what happened there.Pfhorrest

Zombie prolly.
  • creativesoul

An inevitable side affect from doing philosophy!

:wink:
  • praxis
    Never underestimate the importance of banning ernest.
  • creativesoul

Seemed fairly well educated and knowledgable, from what little I read from him. The weirdness of his comments on race surprised me though! I suppose had they not been a surprise, it would not have seemed so weird!

:wink:
  • ssu

The weirdness of his comments on race surprised me though! I suppose had they not been a surprise, it would not have seemed so weird!creativesoul

Well, he was talking about his rough neighborhood and things what he saw. I don't think he made it up.

:sad:
  • Jamal
    Well, he was talking about his rough neighborhood and things what he saw. I don't think he made it up.ssu

I thought so too at first, but now I suspect he did. In any case, it was his racism that led to the ban. Even if it were true that he'd become racist owing to his bad experiences, it's not an excuse. He was not only "talking about his rough neighborhood and things he saw".
  • ssu

He surely had a fatalist negative view, that's for sure. And I remember discussing some other issue and he was quite gloomy or bitter then too.

Well, I hope we still can discuss difficult topics. Because if this forum will have problems for an open dialogue, just think how bad it will be out there in the real World.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.