• Shawn
    general dissatisfaction and strife.Baden

My life since I got singled out for being the drag on such desired standards. I wasn't even given the possibility of improving myself.
  • Baden

You could improve immediately by stopping the self-indulgent whinging. You didn't even answer my concerned PM to you when you were pissing gibberish all over the site, which PM was the option I preferred to banning you.
  • Shawn

I'm just unhappy I can't post any meaningfully satisfying topics.

And I already explained that I was on benzos regarding the gibberish posted some three weeks ago or so.

Can you at least politely ask jamalrob if I can post topics in the lounge area? I'm afraid of bothering him.
  • Baden

Just give it a few months of posting in others' discussions please, Wallows. It's no big deal. You still have more discussions than anyone else on the site as far as I'm aware.
  • Shawn

Fine, whatever floats your boat. Mine is sunk. But enough whinging. I shall comply, grudgingly...
  • Baden

Worse shit has happened to better people. And that's a line I've had to use on myself from time to time too.
  • S
    Worse shit has happened to better people.Baden

Tell me about it. I once got someone else's blood all over my brand new shirt because they looked at me funny. And then I had to put up with the screaming parents, "Why did you do that?! What's wrong with you?! He's only five years old!".
  • I like sushi
    Your ageism is showing again. — S

The truth is you’re not going to get many people in their early twenties who are ‘worldly’. Some, I am sure, but given that there is no obvious marker on forums to discern age (other than writing ability) we’re thankfully left guessing.

We’ve all been/are young and so understand what it feels like to be what feels like being ‘dismissed’. Personality counts more than age when it comes to communication.

I would say, with obvious bias, that I wasn’t particularly stupid ten or twenty years ago, BUT the difference now is that I have experiences and time through which my thoughts have not exactly ‘changed’ but they’ve certainly matured and refined in many ways opening me up to different paths.

Ageism is probably going to be the next politicized “-ism” I reckon. It’s already on the horizon given the commercialized hyperbole of so-called “left” and “right” policies. By commercialized I mean that the shift is not actually increasing, nor has it ever, it’s just a matter of how media magnifies things - and today the ability to magnify is great.
  • S
    This is the classic missing of the point when it comes to stereotypes. It's not that there's no truth to them whatsoever, it's that unfair discrimination based on them is wrong. It's not acceptable to tar with the same brush. Like you said, if we're talking ethics, then it is about character, and if we're talking about ability, then it is about ability. It would be wise to leave age out of it, unless it is explicitly about that.
  • Shawn
    This is the classic missing of the point when it comes to stereotypes. It's not that there's no truth to them whatsoever, it's that unfair discrimination based on them is wrong.S

Such irony! Much wallows!

It would be wise to leave age out of it.S

Indeed.
  • S
    Such irony!Wallows

Whence the supposed irony? Explain yourself.
  • I like sushi
    I’m 41 btw, if anyone cares! I used to a number of others ages! Up until I was 21 I was quite shy, my early to mid 20’s were a vacuum of nothingness. Then I focused and ventured forth, facing fears and pushing myself - incapable as I was.

My Mum always used to say to me the old adage “Youth is wasted on the young!” and I used to rile against this, even though I understood what she meant. The thing is I NEVER fully understood what she meant and no one who is ‘young’ ever can until they are old. Like riding a bike, you can understand the principles and mechanisms yet unless you’ve actually ridden a bike (ability being an almost irrelevant factor) you simply CANNOT know what it feels like - the odd genius probably has the imaginative capacity to get damn close though and in their youthful arrogance believe themselves too! Sometimes self-deceit is a boon :D

I still find people older than me “talking down” to me. I appreciate it a lot more now than I did when I was in my early twenties (note: I was mostly immature in my early twenties in MANY ways).
  • Shawn
    Whence the supposed irony? Explain yourself.S

Oh ya know. This that, lol.
  • Shawn
    I’m 41 btw, if anyone cares!I like sushi

41, oh yee still younggg. Hhaha.
  • S
    I’m 41 btw, if anyone cares!I like sushi

And you like sushi. I used to like sushi, but then I grew out of it. I still remember how naive I used to be when I liked sushi. It's a bit like riding a bike. People who like sushi are typically unable to ride a bike because they're too busy drooling over sushi to handle such complexities as riding a bike. I remember my mother used to say to me, "Don't judge a book by it's cover... unless it's a book about sushi, in which case, throw it straight in the bin", and I never quite understood, but now I realise that she was right all along.

Reveal
    She also used to say, "Don't tar with the same brush! Unless you tar with sushi, in which case it's okay to use the same brush".
  • Hanover
    Guys, this thread is here to allow discussion about recent bannings.
  • Shawn
    Guys, this thread is here to allow discussion about recent bannings.Hanover

Perhaps more want to jump ship. One never knows.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

I think I had you all wrong, thinking you might be a shitard. But now, you are validating my small hunch that you, might in fact, be a genius.

Verdict still in deliberations
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Guys, this thread is here to allow discussion about recent bannings.Hanover

Oops, sorry, I hadn't arrived at your post yet.
  • Baden
    Banned @Daniel Cox for being a crank and/or troll. Thank you to whoever reported his recent posts, which have now been removed. (Replies needed to be deleted too).
  • tim wood
    I just took him to be ill - sick.
  • Baden

Could be. If so, I wish him well. Here is not the place for him though.
  • Shawn
    Psychoceramics...
  • praxis
    If I recall correctly, he claimed to value love over truth (and reason?), so not a good fit for a philosophy forum.
  • Shamshir

You just banned Commander Sigma.
    How does that make you feel?
  • Jake
    Bouncers are needed on every forum, and we can thank the mods for performing this essential function, for free. Sincerely, without this work the forum would quickly spiral downward, as has been witnessed on some other philosophy forums.

That said, it would be great if this process of cleaning up the bottom end of the scale might be complemented with additional efforts to further populate the top of the quality scale.

It would great if the forum could be organized not only by topic but also by content quality, which would of course be defined and determined by the mods.

Having made such suggestions on many forums for about 20 years I can confidently predict what will happen next.

Someone will shout "FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!", a totally irrelevant concept in this context, to be followed by a chorus of the Down With Elitism!! theme song.

Then Baden will inform me that I couldn't possibly teach him anything because he already knows everything. :smile:

Ok guys, go ahead, do your thing, let the highly predictable dance begin.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Ok guys, go ahead, do your thing, let the highly predictable dance begin.Jake

If you don't mind I am just going to reach down into the bottom of the cooler for a tall one. Got an opener? I have the limes :up:
  • praxis

tumblr_plsptyM10Y1rvqdnso3_500.gif
    Elitist scum! Elitist scum! Elitist scum! Elitist scum! Elitist scum! Elitist scum!
  • VagabondSpectre
    In life, we tend to get what we pay for, and while we share the same desires, we would need to pay a premium.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.