• Wheatley
    It's easy to sit in an armchair and think about philosophical problems. Engaging in philosophy with another person is a different matter. Of course you need communication skills for other people to understand you. My question is do you also need social skills to engage in effective philosophy? I guess it depends on whether or not discussing philosophy with other members on a philosophy forum is a form of socializing. Well is it?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    How would you describe "effective philosophy"?
  • unenlightened
    It's when the donkey's hind legs fall off.
  • Wheatley
    How would you describe "effective philosophy"?Metaphysician Undercover
    I mean having an effective discussion involving philosophy where you can successfully communicate your ideas with someone, but without the participants talking past each other.
  • Jake
    This topic title made me laugh out loud. :smile: Thanks for that.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Talking with anyone about anything is a social activity. So philosophy, when it is discussed with others, is one too. The argument that social skills will enhance your 'social-philosophy' seems convincing. But you can indulge in philosophy anyway. It's just that social skills could help. :up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.