• Shawn
    Stoicism vs Humean has been a pet one of mine, Stoicism states that what is under our control or not, should be recognized as such. Human states that Reasons and he passions are instrumental of the the the realization of the passions.

How does one recognize the two?

Thoughts?
  • Moliere
    My initial thought is that these two lines of thought are so disparate in history that it's hard to compare them. Hume is something of an deacon of the enlightenment (quiet follower who took many enlightenment principles to their rational end), and stoicism is an ancient doctrine we've gleaned through fragments that happen to be left over, and influenced by the ancient Greek milieu concern with invulnerability. Even the words like "control" and "passions" seem to differ to me, because the philosophy of mind and ethics of their day differed.

It's just hard to compare such notions in situ -- now, in vitro, with more explicit explanations of what you are thinking -- that's possible.
  • Shawn
    My initial thought is that these two lines of thought are so disparate in history that it's hard to compare them. Hume is something of an deacon of the enlightenment (quiet follower who took many enlightenment principles to their rational end), and stoicism is an ancient doctrine we've gleaned through fragments that happen to be left over, and influenced by the ancient Greek milieu concern with invulnerability. Even the words like "control" and "passions" seem to differ to me, because the philosophy of mind and ethics of their day differed.Moliere
    Well, yes, they are different philosophies of the mind; but, that doesn't negative they're importance at least.
  • unenlightened
    The Stoic says that wisdom is to know that you cannot stop the rain, but you can fix the roof.
    Hume says that you have a passion to stay dry, and reason is the slave that will help you satisfy your passion.

There seems to be no incompatibility.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.