• jorndoe

has a concise meaning, defined in terms of the universal (∀) and existential (∃) quantifiers for x ≠ 0:

"We can always squeeze the fraction arbitrarily close to zero."

Check (ε, δ)-definition of limit (Wikipedia)

The former is just a different, perhaps more intuitive way, of writing it.
  • Devans99
    "We can always squeeze the fraction arbitrarily close to zero."jorndoe

But arbitrarily close to zero is not zero and is never zero. The limit expression is always > zero.
  • Relativist
    The limit is synonymous to asymptote in the case in question, and an asymptote is never reached. That's why "=" is appropriate.
  • fdrake

You know this is accounted for in the definition right? This is how the definition works. 'For all epsilon greater than 0...'
  • jorndoe
    But arbitrarily close to zero is not zero and is never zero.Devans99

So? That's not what it means. Check the link, or some of the other online resources.

As an aside, these sorts of things are used all the time in physics and other areas (derivatives, integration, etc).
    I can only guess how much throughout the cool InSight project - congratz to the team.

How about fractals with an infinite circumference and a finite area? :)
  • andrewk
    I've moved this to the Lounge as there is no philosophy of mathematics in it. The thread is simply about a misunderstanding of the meaning of the limit operator, which the respondents have amply explained.
  • Devans99
    Are you saying the equal sign means 'arbitrary close' rather than 'equals'?
  • Devans99
    How about fractals with an infinite circumference and a finite area?jorndoe

Fractals have a potentially infinite circumference (potentially depending on how many calculations we do). Fractals never have an Actually Infinite circumference.
  • jorndoe
    Are you saying the equal sign means 'arbitrary close' rather than 'equals'?Devans99

No. The lim, as defined, is zero.
  • Devans99
    No. The lim, as defined, is zero.jorndoe

Then it's defined wrong. There is no value of x for which 1/x = 0. Perhaps you are thinking of Actual Infinity?

Actual infinity, if it existed, would be a quantity greater than all other quantities, but:

There is no quantity X such that X > all other quantities because X +1 > X

Further, actual infinity does not follow common sense or mathematical rules:

oo + 1 = oo implies
    1 = 0

Nothing in the real world can you add to whilst it remains unchanged. This logical absurdity implies infinity is not a mathematical quantity.
  • jorndoe
    Then it's defined wrong. There is no value of x for which 1/x = 0.Devans99

So? That's not what it means. Check the link, or some of the other online resources.jorndoe

@Devans99, it seems like you're not reading (or understanding) the mathematics and/or definitions. There are reasonably good online resources, though it may take a bit of reading if you're new to this stuff.
  • Devans99
    it seems like you're not reading (or understanding) the mathematics and/or definitions.jorndoe

The point is I do not agree with some of the definitions. How exactly is the axiom of infinity from set theory logical? I just disproved the existence of actual infinity twice above (I note you passed on both arguments).

Actual Infinity is just magic and plain impossible/illogical.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.