• EcceHomo
    I'm a woman and I'm confused. I know that there's a biological argument but is that really justifiable?
    I'm more inclined to believe the social argument of how we as females aren't expected to be intellectuals, so its very hard for us to get into it. Usually it starts in adulthood and then its too late, because the way one is raised has a lot to do with who one becomes (nurture matters more than nature). Is that it then? Please let's discuss this. I think its an important issue and as a female OBSESSED with philosophy, seeing women fall short on it saddens me deeply. I also see many errors in my own self regarding my focus etc. Is it just me or is it all women? There are many things to talk about here.
  • Kenshi

It seems to me that the data is pretty clear. As freedom goes up, female participation in the sciences goes down. I think that most women don't do a lot of things because they don't generally want to. The ones that want to seem to be doing fine, but there are few of them.
  • Nickel
    I wasn't aware there were any biological arguments, it is all social/cultural/nurture.
  • Streetlight
    There are heaps and heaps and heaps and heaps of female thinkers, if you do some cursory research. That they are not well known to the general public, is another question.
  • Paul
    Philosophy is not the only way to be a thinker, just the most pompous.

On average, women tend to prefer collaborative problem solving. On average, philosophers are windbags who talk past each other making mountains out of molehills and trying to verbally beat each other up.

And of course, there's a sort of natural selection involved where we only get to see the loudest blowhards because they've out-shouted the rest. There are tons of people who are doing philosophy but aren't competing the public arena of it or aren't noticed by the media because they're not being controversial enough to draw attention.
  • Anaxagoras
    I'm a woman and I'm confused. I know that there's a biological argument but is that really justifiable?EcceHomo

Justifiable in what sense, that there aren't many female thinkers?

There are plenty of female thinkers! All you have to do is look at past and present. Unfortunately, psychology like philosophy and other social and "hard sciences" these disciplines have for the most part been dominated by men. That doesn't mean there are female contributors to the discipline. Now, when it comes to thinkers you'd have to be particular and specify in which discipline do you inquire where these female thinkers are.
  • EcceHomo
    Nobody answered my question. This is like saying "not all men are sexist." yes, we get it, there are many female philosophers, but "many" in relation to what? There's literally 4 or so popular female philosophers in history while theres I-LOST-COUNT many male.
  • Anaxagoras
    Nobody answered my question. This is like saying "not all men are sexist." yes, we get it, there are many female philosophers, but "many" in relation to what? There's literally 4 or so popular female philosophers in history while theres I-LOST-COUNT many male.EcceHomo

You asked, "why aren't there many female thinkers today?"

I supplied you with a list.

but "many" in relation to what? There's literally 4 or so popular female philosophers in history while theres I-LOST-COUNT many male.EcceHomo

Again, I supplied you with a list.

I mean "why aren't there many black inventors?" In actuality there is quite a few, now in terms of notoriety, perhaps their fame is overshadowed by the fact that systemic racism exists. Likewise, female philosophers are overshadowed in a discipline that heavily favored the male mind. Perhaps sexism, and racism are the culprits in why we are unaware of the minority giants of the past and of our time.
  • Sir2u
    "Why aren't there many female thinkers today?"

Is not trying to be a good mother not philosophical enough for you? Just imagine what kind of a mother you would be if you did not apply your thinking skills to the job.
  • EcceHomo
    Yes Ana, that's my idea too. Have you heard of "stereotype threat"?

Sir2u, motherhood is different... I even find it insulting of you to say that about women.
    And every single person is a philosopher/thinker by your standards.
  • Sir2u
    Sir2u, motherhood is different... I even find it insulting of you to say that about women.EcceHomo

Shucks lady, now you made me feel guilty. Well not really that much, maybe just a little, no actually not even a little.

How can you be so belittling to the wondrous state of motherhood? If being a mother is not philosophizing then I am not sure that philosophy even exists.
    Can't believe that I am being called out for saying that mothers are philosophers, damn, next thing you know I will get shit for saying that cats are cuddly.

And every single person is a philosopher/thinker by your standards.EcceHomo
    Are we not all philosophers then? What sets apart a philosopher from a regular person?
  • I like sushi
    Probably nothing more than the obvious. Preference of interests (the social sciences are now dominated by female students) and the inclination to want to start a family which alters priorities in many individuals.

That said I expect we’ll see a steady rise in more prominent female figures, but that it’ll not reach the level of males.

Also, it could be that too many women get sucked into the “sexism” narrative too easily and become a little ideological about this. Perhaps if more women associated with philosophical discourse turned away from “gender politics” they’d become more prominent?

I don’t really think it matters in the sllightest though tbh. As long as the opportunity and freedom remains for people to choose what they wish to do why worry about this?
  • EcceHomo
    Don't you think its a chain reaction? Little girls wouldn't think theyre smart or capable of maths or philosophy if they don't see enough women in the field.
  • Anaxagoras

I like how you ignored me when I answered your question directly. Apparently you're looking for confirmation bias.
  • Sir2u
    Don't you think its a chain reaction? Little girls wouldn't think theyre smart or capable of maths or philosophy if they don't see enough women in the field.EcceHomo

Would that not depend on the parents, the mothers especially. If the mother does not have enough balls to tell her daughters that they can do whatever they like, then maybe I was wrong about mothers being philosophers.
    And the same would have to apply to men becoming dress makers, hair stylists and cooks.

How many female truck drivers do you know? Could that be because of lack of role models or is it just because most girls would never dream of driving a truck because it is not glamorous enough?
  • Sir2u
    I like how you ignored me when I answered your question directly. Apparently you're looking for confirmation bias.Anaxagoras

You might like it but I don't. Seems she has her own agenda and the rest does not count.
  • Anaxagoras

I hear you and I agree. I'm not saying I literally like it, was just being facetious about it.
  • Sir2u
    I'm not saying I literally like it, was just being facetious about it.Anaxagoras

Yeah, I figured that one out. :wink:
  • whollyrolling
    Until very recently, philosophy was exclusively fat lazy males rubbing their chins and scratching their heads and pretending idle talk sprinkled with fancy made-up words was somehow productive. What we're experiencing now is a transitional phase between that and something else.
  • deletedmemberwy
    Cuz most females are boring... which is why most of my friends are guys...
    Anyway, it’s likely just the culture thing. Most women (and guys more often than not) either don't like it or don't want to show that they like it. Nothing to be worried about imo. Just makes things more interesting.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    In addition to what Waya said I think intelligent women, who find a fishing hole full of Big Mouth Bass, we aren't as quick to share it with other females. Quick witted, logic based, creative writing men that are willing to listen to what a woman has to say? Where?
    Here. But shhhhhhh!
    I don't know about you or Waya but I can tell you the territorial instinct in me is a strong guide when I find a group of intellectual males. Not that any male here on the forum would have ever picked up on that. Female "thinkers" are few and far between but the few there are, are definitely worth knowing.
    Welcome to The Philosophy Forum ecceHomo
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.