• Blackhole94
    I have a few issues with the definition of invention and I'm trying to formulate a definition of invention.

If invention means "created" by humans, then babies in pregnancy are created by humans, chewing food is created by humans to make a bolus for swallowing.

We can’t say “crafted” because craft= made by hand skill. But a monkey peeling a banana is crafting (making) something and changing the environment—so that doesn’t work.

Basically, I’m looking for a proper definition of “invent” that excludes things like peeling a banana but includes things like making a banana smoothie. There is a clear difference and I want invent to include making that smoothie vs peeling the banana.

Also a bird making a nest should be considered an invention that evolved over time, but a bird peeing a seed to eat it should not be an invention.

Invent should be inventing either objects or processes.

What is the proper definition of invention?
  • Sir2u
    Basically, I’m looking for a proper definition of “invent” that excludes things like peeling a bananaBlackhole94

Where did you even get the idea that peeling a banana could be said to be inventing. :rofl:

Why don't you try telling us what the dictionary says and then tell us what is wrong with that definition.
  • Blackhole94

Invention is defined as something crafted by humans. What I’m saying is there seems to be a range/continuum of things crafted and a peeled banana seems to fit that definition. I’d like a better definition.
  • Sir2u
    Invention is defined as something crafted by humans.Blackhole94

No it is not, that is only part of the meaning. Bread was an invention, arrived at through experiments. Peeling bananas is an action, and it is doubtful there was an inventor.

Invent: Come up with (an idea, plan, explanation, theory, or principle) after a mental effort

Invention: A creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation
  • Blackhole94
    Wait, but peeling a banana is something that we come up with after a mental effort. So that definition doesn’t work like we want it to.

We all feel peeling a banana is not an invention—but how do we define it such that it is the case?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.