• Jhn4
    Hello,

It has come to my attention, when exploring my internal thoughts, that humanity is approaching a standstill when it comes to the variety of visual information available to us.

My particular interest is computer games, because we can be fully immersed in virtual worlds, but one day this immersion might end, as we run out of finite 3D constructs; as I propose that the variety of 3D objects becomes either too repetitive ("seen it before"), or is simply describable as being finite.

This is not what I dreamt of when I played a game like Majoras Mask as a child, or Sonic The Hedgehog. I believed that the possibilities for creativity were endless, but I don't think this is the case now.

Therefore, as a result, I decided to start writing about extra dimensions, of which I have written 10 pages in my small notepad. This is fine, but I want to encourage others to write about the subject so that the technology companies take notice.
    Currently, we have developments such as Neuralink, which is progressing along the line of being potentially invasive. What if we demand dream-like experiences without the need for brain implants? And so my writing is about just that.

But take note. I discovered something interesting when exploring the possibilities in my mind. Because I had a dream about a video game where I was fully immersed in it. Nothing about it was particularly 4-Dimensional, which would have been the whole premise for my book. Rather, it was simply that my mind wouldn't register the objects (such as a car) as being exactly the same as something I may have seen before.

So it may not be the fourth dimension that we are looking for, but simply some other version of the third dimension, like in a dream state.

But naturally, as I have stated: I was wondering how companies could be influenced by demand from the Philosophical or scientific community to seriously start researching new technologies?Currently, the large Hadron collider is designed not for immersion or entertainment purposes (God forbid if it was!), and so surely, entertainment, and immersion into an existence where we can break boundaries (beyond the finite), is something of a logical next step for humanity, and may demand big spending similar to other serious scientific projects?

So, this is open to discussion, but I was also wondering if it is possible to use this community as a means of spreading interest, maybe through written works, (a compilation of some sort?) towards other possibilities of technology dealing with other dimensional aspects, or the fourth dimension? Hypothetical Dimensional written pieces?

My background is in game design (at college) , and early on I got good grades before entering University. After that, I became interested in philosophy and life, and dropped out. But it became frustrating for me, the more I wrote, as I began to see the finite elements of philosophy relating to games design. And I think, without proper immersion into game worlds, we are truly lost as a species. We need the logic and exploration of further realms and worlds, to expand beyond finite constraints of our 3-dimensional world.

And so, this is open to discussion and hopefully contribution.

Thanks for reading.
  • Streetlight
    You might enjoy this:

• S
    I don't know. @Hanover, what do you think? :smirk:
  • TheMadFool
    :up:

Great video. Great message.

I think the video makes a statement on what is and may not necessarily predict how the world will be

I suspect all this really has to do with fiction-reality distinction. I forgot the term for it but people don't mind punching a dummy but when it comes to punching a human being people think twice.

So, while I enjoyed and appreciated the message in the video I don't think there's a real problem so long as people can appreciate the fiction-reality distinction.

Thanks.
  • Galuchat
    I believed that the possibilities for creativity were endless, but I don't think this is the case now.Jhn4

Instead of limiting creativity to original combinations or transformations of actuality, it may be more interesting to explore possibilities.
  • Jhn4
    Well, the video for me demonstrates that video games have their own internal logic systems.
    Without such systems, most games would simply become simulations and would be less 'gamey. '
    Thanks.

@Galuchat
    The problem is that I don't think that there are many possibilities beyond simply reconfiguring things. You might say, well how about a game where time runs backwards? But the problem is more to do with the physical environment that shapes games. Time could run backwards, but everything would still look reasonably the same.
  • Galuchat

Time is an actuality.
  • Jhn4
    Oh okay. But the problem is that aren't all games just a physical representation of something? So a person can be very imaginative, but it still basically resembles the laws of physics.
  • Galuchat

In that case, check out The Physics Forum.
  • Jhn4
    It's certainly a possibility. I was thinking last night about configurations, and I thought: actually there may be a trillion combinations of the effects of colours; more than the basic parameter for a jpeg, which can be host of up to 16 million combinations of colours.

It got me thinking: If there are an almost inexhaustible number of combinations, then could a computer sift through different combinations to find that the objects could be 'warped' around the edges based on internal combinations? Almost like an illusion representing something beyond regular 3d spaces which appear finite.

So this is the sort of thing I may ask the physics forums, but I was hoping that maybe on this forum, writings could be created that encourage scientific investigations in these areas. Using philosophy to generate demand and curiosity into the technical.

Further, supposedly the human eye can see maybe 7 - 10 million colours, or something. But surely this has not been counted? There is perhaps an infinitesimal quality to the fact that we cannot be absolute in our measurement. So maybe as I write more, I might seek to redefine "infinitesimal. "

Like how a lens can be distorted, maybe every object has a sort of visual membrane. This does sound strange but maybe it can add to a further definition of what "infinitesimal" is, like an infinitesimal membrane, or even that light itself has an uncountable quality.

I was thinking of infinitesimal penetration, where the ability to penetrate an object is so minute and small that it is a totally refined probability.
    I'm sure I can write more about this.

If anyone has any ideas for technical questions that I could ask a physics forum, that may help.

Thanks again.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.