• NOS4A2

I don’t know, I think I may just have trouble with grouping people in general. Even more acceptable Terms like ethnicity or population bother me. I can’t quite put my finger on it. Maybe I lack the ability to abstract flesh and blood human beings in such a manner. I blame travelling. The narcissism of small differences reveals itself to be a farce upon discovering that human beings are the same everywhere.
  • creativesoul
    My definition is “ In it’s purest form, racism is the belief that the species may be divided into separate biological taxonomies called “race”.NOS4A2

It would follow that one who had no knowledge of biological taxonomy could not be racist. It would follow that all who used such divisions are/were racist.
  • NOS4A2

Wouldn’t that be more class than race? I can imagine groups that organize on terms of socioeconomic status are multi-racial.
  • DingoJones

Well they are the same in most ways, the important ways, but its silly to act as though there aren’t any differences at all isnt it? There are obvious physical differences, thats the reality.
  • NOS4A2

It would follow that one who had no knowledge of biological taxonomy could not be racist. It would follow that all who used such divisions are/were racist.

I think that’s close. But I think in order to be racist one must apply biological taxonomy in his thinking.
  • Baden

That's more specifically a definition of "race realism".

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/race_realist
  • DingoJones

No its not, NOS included no “discrimination” in his definition. Recognising a difference is not the same as discriminating based on that difference.
  • fdrake
    Wouldn’t that be more class than race? I can imagine groups that organize on terms of socioeconomic status are multi-racial.NOS4A2

Class and race are conceptually independent - they don't logically imply each other. You can be a black president or white trailer trash. But they're dependent politically and socio-economically. In a world with a history of racially motivated colonialism and imperialism (not that it's over now, it just looks different), and racism in the home territories, this is exactly what you'd expect. The poorest areas in a country tend to be minority saturated. This isn't a coincidence. Class issues and race issues intertwine.
  • NOS4A2

Well they are the same in most ways, the important ways, but its silly to act as though there aren’t any differences at all isnt it? There are obvious physical differences, thats the reality.

Of course there are differences, but most are so superficial that a vast majority of the biology is left out of it.
  • NOS4A2

Class and race are conceptually independent - they don't logically imply each other. You can be a black president or white trailer trash. But they're dependent politically and socio-economically. In a world with a history of racially motivated colonialism and imperialism, and racism in the home territories, this is exactly what you'd expect. The poorest areas in a country tend to be minority saturated. This isn't a coincidence. Class issues and race issues intertwine.

I can agree with that.
  • praxis
    I don’t know, I think I may just have trouble with grouping people in general.NOS4A2

That's funny, in discussions about Trump you have no difficulty grouping people and blanketly attributing them with particular characteristics.

I can’t quite put my finger on it.

In a word: trolling.
  • DingoJones

Well sure, but simply recognising those differences doesnt seem like a problem to me. So if you define racism as recognising those differences then racism isnt really a problem...which makes it a problematic way of defining racism.
    The “race realism” definition seems like a much better definition of racism, because it includes mistreatment based on race.
    Its bizarre that such a thing would be called “race realism”, as if its realistic/fact based to discriminate based race. Never knew what “race realism” was...just sounds like plain racism to me.
  • NOS4A2

That's funny, in discussions about Trump you have no difficulty grouping people and blanketly attributing them with particular characteristics.

I group people according to their ideologies and superstitions, sure. I’ll concede that much.
  • creativesoul
    My definition is “ In it’s purest form, racism is the belief that the species may be divided into separate biological taxonomies called “race”.
    — NOS4A2

creativesoul

I think that’s close. But I think in order to be racist one must apply biological taxonomy in his thinking.NOS4A2

So, all people fighting against the unfair treatment of people based upon their race are racist?
  • Baden

Look at the various definitions:

This one:

"2. One who believes that the human species is divided into observable races."

is pretty much exactly:

racism is the belief that the species may be divided into separate biological taxonomies called “race”.NOS4A2

I'm aware that race realists are generally racists and use pseudoscience to try to justify discrimination. But bare-bones race realism as defined by @NOS4A2 is not exactly synonymous with racism; hence the separate term.
  • praxis

I group people according to their ideologies and superstitions, sure. I’ll concede that much.
    NOS4A2

Will you also concede that you were lying when you claimed that you have difficulty grouping people?
  • creativesoul
    I group people according to their ideologies...NOS4A2

What do you call people who believe that black people are somehow inferior to white people simply because they are black?
  • DingoJones

We get it. NOS is an evil trumpest troll blah blah blah.
    Why dont you just shut up about it and try actually contributing? Youre the one playing the role of troll by disrupting other peoples conversations.
  • praxis

You're no fun.
  • NOS4A2

It think it just makes sense. Attach the suffix “ism” to the root word “race”. The belief, practice, ideology or doctrine of race. Put into practice discrimination automatically results in discrimination. Hence viewing one race as underprivileged, privileged, inferior, superior, and so on. These sorts of conclusions are the necessary, logical consequences of race-thinking.
  • NOS4A2

Will you also concede that you were lying when you claimed that you have difficulty grouping people?

I don’t group them. They group themselves. Cheeky enough answer?
  • NOS4A2

What do you call people who believe that black people are somehow inferior to white people simply because they are black?

Edit: racists in general, supremacists in particular.
  • creativesoul
    t think it just makes sense. Attach the suffix “ism” to the root word “race”. The belief, practice, ideology or doctrine of race. Put into practice discrimination automatically results in discrimination. Hence viewing one race as underprivileged, privileged, inferior, superior, and so on. These sorts of conclusions are the necessary, logical consequences of race-thinking.NOS4A2

The problem with this line of thinking seems clear to me...

People have been devalued by others based upon the color of their skin long before it was talked about as such(racism).
  • fdrake
    I don’t group them. They group themselvesNOS4A2

You're making it appear that the grouping mechanism is just conceptual, like it occurs in ideas and expectations alone. You already know it doesn't, since class and race intersect.
  • creativesoul

Racists.
    NOS4A2

Ok.

What do you call people who are fighting against the racist ideology?
  • NOS4A2

You're making it appear what the grouping mechanism is just conceptual, like it occurs in ideas and expectations alone. You already know it doesn't, since class and race intersect.

I’ve seen people form groups. I could draw a line around them and say “that’s a group”. You cannot do so with a race.
  • NOS4A2

Ok.

What do you call people who are fighting against the racist ideology?

I suppose anti-racist?
  • praxis
    Cheeky enough answer?NOS4A2

It's possible to troll and value truth, but that would require having principles.
  • fdrake

These are the racial demographics and localisations in Detroit.

Racial_Divide_Detroit_MI.png

(Red = caucasian, blue = black, orange = hispanic)

They were there before the data analyst colour coded them.
  • NOS4A2

Now you have to convince me that I’m trolling you and you aren’t trolling me.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.