• Gregory
    Lenin lived in an age when the Catholic church was reaffirming Aristotle. Contradictions in science abound. GR vs QM for example. Or the zero energy universe. To contradict the fact that we can't have no energy could lead us to the power of voidness
  • alcontali
    Btw, it's possible to be responsible but not guilty (i.e. blameworthy) e.g. defective brakes responsible for a car crash - makes no sense, however, to claim that the car or its failed breaks are to blame.180 Proof

We may assume the existence of responsibility, guilt, and blame, and the subtle differences between them, but we do not seem to have a deeper explanation, i.e. justification, for these beliefs. They just appear out of the blue into our minds and behaviour. Even children understand blame. Is it innate? Even a feeling like shame would not make sense without free will.

If free will exists, it fundamentally alters the nature of our universe.

Free will means that our universe is a model of a necessarily incomplete theory. As this model then contains true facts that are not provable from its theory, it means that this theory has other models, i.e. other universes, in which these facts are false.

Beings, who have the impression that they have free will, may pretty much automatically tend to believe that there are other worlds (such as a heaven and a hell) simply because they intuitively sense the mathematical hints which suggest such belief.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.