• Mww
    I am heartened to see the third one mentioned, the Critique of Judgement brought into view.Valentinus

Yeah....the proverbial red-headed step-child of the Critical Period, huh. By far the most difficult from which to extract the good stuff. That, and it took about 150 years before anyone thought there was any good stuff in there to extract, probably because it didn’t take Schopenhauer long at all, to jump all over what he considered to be massive inconsistencies with respect to the two preceding Critiques. Nowadays of course, some philosophical academia acknowledges CoJ for its insights and ground for modern aesthetics, re: Derrida, and equally dismissed by the modern analytic school, the so-called deconstructionists. (Sigh)
    —————-

The matter of what is peculiarly "continental" seems deeply connected to to whatever getting beyond the Scholastics was about.Valentinus

Bullseye!!!! It may be argued the Renaissance put the proverbial nail in the Scholastic coffin, but the Enlightenment drove the nail with a very large hammer. Nevertheless....sign of the times....even Enlightenment philosophers in general needed to maintain sponsorships and benefactors for their respective university chair appointments and publishing, the benefactors themselves being invariably religious, so metaphysical efforts centered more on elevating humanism rather than ostracizing idealistic spiritualism.

Fun times in the world of human thought, and long since dissolved by.....er, dare I say....less than interesting......philosophy.
  • Pfhorrest
    I think it's interesting how the poll results have leveled out over time. Early on the answers were mostly "No" or else "Analytic" with no "Continental" and I think myself the only "Yes", which I take as most people rejecting both sides of the divide, and almost all of the rest being Analytic. As of this writing there are 4 Analytic, 3, Continental, 4 yes, and 6 No, which seems a lot more balanced, though still slightly anti-the whole idea and anti-Continental.
  • deletedusercb
    continental philosophy is more right brain, analytic more left brain. I mean this not so much in the pop psychology sense, but more in the sense Iain McGilchrist presents in his The Master and His Emissary.
  • Ying
    Damned if I know.Ciceronianus the White

Same here.

I suppose this is another way to describe the divide between the traditions.

https://existentialcomics.com/comic/146

:rofl:
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal