• Shawn

Baden, do you want to take over the reins here? As a teacher, you seem more competent on the issue of etiquette and stuff like that.

Jamalrob, gave me the go-ahead, so everything is nominal.
  • Baden
    Jamalrob, gave me the go-ahead, so everything is nominal.Wallows

Great.

Baden, do you want to take over the reins here? As a teacher, you seem more competent on the issue of etiquette and stuff like that.Wallows

You mean you want me to invite him? I was already going to do the rest.
  • Shawn
    You mean you want me to invite him? I was already going to do the rest.Baden

Yes, as someone with qualifications and such you'd be a natural choice. As far as my role, I asked the questions that would be presented to Professor Pigliucci and am still waiting for feedback. I don't believe they are all ideal, such as #3 or the trite #4...
  • Baden

Nothing special about my qualifications regarding this, but alright, maybe you can PM me his contact details and your name, so I can mention you as the person who suggested him.
  • Ciceronianus

I used to comment now and then as ciceronianus in his old Rationally Speaking blog. That was before he became interested in Stoicism, though after I was. I have his book on Stoicism, and enjoyed it. I think your questions are good ones.
  • Amity

Yeah, for sure, life experience can teach us a lot. Our being here is part of that exploration.

If you have read any dead philosopher's works then you might have enjoyed your own dialogue along the way. Asking questions of the text...looking for answers...

Failing that - you might find someone alive and kicking. Someone who might have developed a deeper appreciation and understanding of the author and topic.
    I dunno...maybe a Guest Speaker ?
  • Shawn

Nice. I hope you're present if he decides to stop by.
  • Baden

Thanks. I'll invite him. In the meantime, keep up with the suggestions as these guys tend to be busy so it's likely we'll need to do a few invites before we get someone to accept.
  • Amity

Excellent :up:

As to more suggestions, I think I've done my bit.
    Over to others...
  • Baden

Sure. Cheers.
  • Amity

Oh hang on...just had a wicked thought :naughty:
    How about having the competition along ?
    Rick and Anja From Philosophy Now :cool:

Rick Lewis was working in the laboratory of British Telecom when he decided, just over 20 years ago, to launch a philosophy magazine for non-academics, called Philosophy Now. He tells me about the early days, how grassroots philosophy has grown, how he met his wife Anja Steinbauer, who runs Philosophy For All, and where he sees the 'movement' going.Jules Evans
  • Amity
    Fagan the Horse, accompanied by Eva Meijer - a Dutch philosopher, novelist, visual artist and singer-songwriter.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/nov/13/of-course-animals-speak-eva-meijer-on-how-to-communicate-with-our-fellow-beasts
  • Amity
    Nay. Horse declines the invitation. Nobody fuckin' cares :rage:
  • Shawn
    It's happening @Amity, no worries.
  • Shawn
    1: Get jamalrob to agree to the invite.
    2: The invite is successful.
    3. We finalize a date.
    3: We set up a space for the interaction.
    4. We invite those willing and able to ask a few questions.
    5. We do it and it'll be great.
    Baden

We're on step 3 AFAIK. Baden seems to be grumpy, so I say we stick with one of the questions posed earlier being:

Why has Stoicism experienced such a revival as of late in the Western world? In your professional opinion, Professor Pigliucci is this due to our lifestyle, and if so, what has Stoicism to offer to better ourselves?

And, play it by ear from there?
  • Baden
    Baden seems to be grumpy, so I say we stick with one of the questions posed earlier being:Wallows

No idea why you think I'm grumpy. I'm happy with how things are going. Anyway, we've got everything under control and will make announcements in due course.
  • Shawn
    OK, sorry for the smear. I'm sapped of all energy due to this lingering flu.

I hope the questions are acceptable, as it seems it's time to prepare a list of questions to ask until all the formalities are churned out.
  • Amity
    It's happening Amity, no worries.Wallows

Yes, I know. Thanks to @Baden :smile:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.