• god must be atheist
    I hope he stays. Best way to react to moderation is to treat it as valuable information about the values of the forum and adjust accordingly. He can still offer his theories if done in a more engaging way that people might want to respond to.bert1

His theories were mere word salads. Speedtime and timespeed and such. He used physical concepts that had not been defined by physics, his theories were really insane. I am not talking about the banned user necessarily, I'm talking about the one on philosophynow.

There was nothing to say edgewise to his theories, because they were the products of an unfortunate, unlcear mind.

- P is equal to, but not the same, as p{D} - {speedtime}

This he did not write, it is my approximation of what he would write.
  • god must be atheist
    Best way to react to moderation is to treat it as valuable informationbert1

This is true.
  • Baden

Maybe we're a little too conservative in who we get rid of for low quality, but a) we want to give posters a chance to improve and b) we post bannings and get interrogated about them, so we need to be able to justify whatever we do.
  • god must be atheist
    Maybe we're a little too conservative in who we get rid of for low quality, but a) we want to give posters a chance to improve and b) we post bannings and get interrogated about them, so we need to be able to justify whatever we do.Baden

Consensus by the body of users on these forums which supports the banning of one or another may be 1. a guidance on pinpointing offenders and 2. an insurance that there won't be too much indignant upheaval among the users.
  • Streetlight
    His theories were mere word salads. Speedtime and timespeed and such. He used physical concepts that had not been defined by physics, his theories were really insane. I am not talking about the banned user necessarily, I'm talking about the one on philosophynow.god must be atheist

Same fellow. Or at least, that's exactly the post I deleted.
  • praxis
    I would also like to see clarification on the use of humour.god must be atheist

Provided that it’s of sufficient quality, it can be used effectively to lighten a mood, ridicule a fool, or merely to amuse yourself. Throw caution to the wind, I say, and let loose your wit as the mood strikes you. If you’re banned for it, at least you can take some comfort in knowing that you’ve been true to your whimsical instincts.
  • Hanover
    Oh. Maybe it's an accent thing. I pronounce "my call" like "my cool" and "Michael" like "my cull".Michael

I pronounce "my call" like "my cawl." Any other way is stupid.
  • Michael
    I pronounce "my call" like "my cawl." Any other way is stupid.Hanover

Did you know that the word "stupid" comes from the Latin word "stupere" meaning "be amazed or stunned"?
  • god must be atheist
    How do you pronounce "Michael"? After all, you ought to be the ultimate authority on that.
    =====
    OOps. I realized that you have already said that.

Alzheimer's dementia strikes again. Forgetfulness is like a... a... I forgot.
  • Hanover
    Did you know that the word "stupid" comes from the Latin word "stupere" meaning "be amazed or stunned"?Michael

Stupendous
  • god must be atheist
    Did you know that the word "stupid" comes from the Latin word "stupere" meaning "be amazed or stunned"?Michael

From inside every big and learned word there is a small, stupid word trying to come out.

That's how new words get born. Then they grow up, and they also give birth yet to another generation of stupid little ankle-biter words.

I predict that in two thousand years, "stupid" will be written as "stupoimeusse", and it will mean "the nice smelling lady's breasts".
  • Gregory
    I too thought the moderators should send your post back to you with the reason why it was deleted. But it is not our forum
  • Baden

I understand that perspective. Another one though would be that that would be extra work for us for the sake of posters who didn't put enough work into their OP. Fair?

I'm usually willing to send back deleted OPs on request anyhow.
  • Artemis
    I pronounce "my call" like "my cool" and "Michael" like "my cull".Michael

The German way sounds way cooler, imho.

Mih- chah - ale. (My best phonetic approximation.)

The ch sound in German is soft, like at the end of Bach. (Hope that makes sense.)
  • Banno
    My crawl.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.