• khaled
    yes which is why "yellow" and "banana" are both non primal.
  • I like sushi
    Great :) tell me why you disagree
  • khaled
    you haven't given me evidence that conceiving of things such as "line" is impossible without experience. By that description, blind people should never be able to do geometry because they won't be able to conceive of lines having never seen a line. Also what about numbers. I find it hard to believe that one cannot conceive of numbers without sensory experience
  • I like sushi
    By that logic you’re saying blind people are incapable of experiencing. I have a feeling this is a bit beyond you at the moment so I’ll just leave you alone.

Someone mention tabla rosa previously, that is probably a good place to start looking. Also, the history of behaviorism and the whole nature or nurture question may help outline the conditions for experience and knowledge better.

As an attempt to open the problem up consider what you knew about anything before you existed. That is basically what a priori means. Prior to experience there is no ‘knowledge’. Much like the concept of a ‘hat’ being nonexistent in the absence of ‘heads’.

Kant famously said, “Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.”

Note: ‘Intuitions’ has a specific meaning beyond the colloquial use today.
  • khaled
    By that logic you’re saying blind people are incapable of experiencing.I like sushi

No they're incapable of experiencing the experience that showed most of us what a "line" means. Aka seeing a line drawn and someone pointing to it and calling it "line." Which SHOULD mean they will never be able to do geometry because they cannot see lines or points by your argument

Tell me, what experience is needed to understand what a "line" is?
  • I like sushi
    I’ve given you pointers. Go look. Start with Kant’s use of ‘intuitions’.

Nothing more to add, but I’m sure others here would be more willing to engage with you in depth.
  • A Seagull

Why do you call the categories 'primal' and 'non-primal'?

'Abstract' and 'real' would make better sense as there is a clear divide between the real world and the abstract worlds.
  • khaled
    makes sense. Idk why I chose those names
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.