• Deleteduserrc
    A few years back, at a thrift store, I found a collection of cartoons ('windblown and dripping') by a handful of army guys who were stationed in Alaska in the early 1940s. It sort of feels like everyone is stationed in Alaska in the 1940s, these days, so here are some of my favorites.
    kd3uhq0pxbtb4j3p.jpg
    orsp4ehrn7hk3ddw.jpg
    2l4nibkjwo31buou.jpg
    2q97gfkcvmi2hlva.jpg
    epedl82d9y07e07d.jpg
    tb6j465zwrssd0ex.jpg
    1ixv1n3cwmz2kvti.jpg
    lbfif0k7tmgjqsu4.jpg
    7qhjlpxiofo9fwbp.jpg
    cx1o8ijryxrazy59.jpg
  • ssu
    The reality of the Aluetian campaign comes through very well in the cartoons. People forget that Alaska was the state that Japan actually invaded. The harsh climate and the lack of strategic importance meant that the fighting wasn't at the scale as in the South Pacific, but it was gruesome still. That ugly side wasn't fit for a cartoon, which is intended to make people smile.

Notice the tractor, the soldiers and the mud drawn in 's last picture and in the picture below:

37_00595623.jpg
  • Nobeernolife
    The reality of the Aluetian campaign comes through very well in the cartoons. People forget that Alaska was the state that Japan actually invaded.ssu

My understanding was that by the time the Americans invaded, the Japanese had actually left, so the Americans ended up shooting at all sorts of imaginary things and each other.
  • ssu
    My understanding was that by the time the Americans invaded, the Japanese had actually left, so the Americans ended up shooting at all sorts of imaginary things and each other.Nobeernolife
    Your understanding is wrong. You are referring to the invasion of Kiska island. There were battles, like the fight for Attu Island.

The Battle of Attu, which took place on 11–30 May 1943, was a battle fought between forces of the United States, aided by Canadian reconnaissance and fighter-bomber support, and Japan on Attu Island off the coast of the Territory of Alaska as part of the Aleutian Islands Campaign during the American Theater and the Pacific Theater. It was the only land battle of World War II fought on American soil.

The more than two-week battle ended when most of the Japanese defenders were killed in brutal hand-to-hand combat after a final banzai charge broke through American lines.

1358c5ee252832c7b23c6a64376b69a7cbb308bb.jpg

75_years_later_forgotten_wwii_battle_haunts_soldiers.png

But if only a few die, like 1400 American KIA and 4000 Japanese KIA, who'll remember it when there is mass carnage in other places? Numbers make the difference.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.