• Statilius
    “all thinking is a function of morality, it's done by humans, it's touched by values right into it's centre, empirical science is no exception”Statilius

Thanks much for your remarks. Leaving Polanyi to the side for the moment, what is your take on the above statement from Murdoch's The Good Apprentice?
  • Mww

Again, I appreciate the enlarged context. If you, and/or she, had said some thinking is a function of morality, I wouldn’t have taken so great an exception.
  • Statilius
    Yes, I understand. But what I like about this idea, and what interested me most, was that it pushes very hard on reality as we most often apprehend it, pushes all the way, as it were, forcing me to ask what this means for our world if this is true? I like it's radicalness, and what that radicalness may imply. If forces upon me a kind of creativity I search for in my life. So, I want to set this thought in front of me as a real possibility, to keep it, as Galen Strawson says, as something that bothers me, as a "conscious, overt bother."
  • Mww
    I like it's radicalness, and what that radicalness may imply. If forces upon me a kind of creativityStatilius

Which is fine, thinking folks been so inclined for millennia. Still, beware the greatest danger to radical-ness, self-contradiction.
  • Statilius
    Thank you! I will mark well your warning. All the best to you, Statilius
1910111213Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.