• Cristopher
    Introduction: Many question may be asked on this site and in the world. But if one doesn't understand why one asks a question.. how ought one find peace or any sort of solution to any question?
    (This conversation will reject absolut truth, If you believe in absolut truth, you may dislike this post. & I do not recommend my post to you)

A. What all questions have in common is that they share uncertainty. Even if you know the awnser, you may ask, because you are uncertain if somebody else knows aswell. If that uncertainty is removed, is not the question gone aswell? So no matter if it's a bright or shallow solution you give a question, isn't the only thing you percieve the loss or remainder of doupt & not any sort of brightness/shallowness?

B. If one is easily satisfied with any awnsers, one would be like a dog eating in the gutter. But one can also be unsatisfied with awnsers. This would be like a taste for awnsers. It is not that some awnsers are inheritandly better, since some may be persuaded by it and some may find it ridiculous. To think one step further isn't the determinant of your taste your ecperience with safety? If a person you trust sais something you trust it more do you not? If somebody sais something you safely assume to be right you will not question it further, will you? So it will be the things that scare/frighten you as well as the things you doubt that envoke your questions, will it not?

C. Is there a way to be (scared, frightend, uncertain, fearfull, in panic, hysteric or paranoid) without asking questions? Then is not the person who asks alot of questions a person with alot of these feelings? But is not a person that asks questions, the person to explore and investigate? & isn't they then the person that gathers and accumulates information? So isn't the most scared the brightest? (I see a duel of the people, about whom may be the most frightend now.) (Also remember that bravery is the overcoming of fear, therefor the most scared has the possibility to show all of us bravery.)

Personal: Now i see that this forum discusses alot of issues that i myself am uncertain about. Though i have thought about many of them for such a long time that my heart has calmed about them. Hence they are less worth questioning.
    I want to write a few posts like this about some of my greatest fears (& therewith questions) to see if somebody has fought these fears yet succesfully to my taste or if somebody fears them as I do.
    Friendly first greetings C.D.W
  • Cristopher
    I would like to apologize if my insufficient english abilities frustrate any reader. I am not a native speaker.
  • Daniel

Hey,

What about curiosity? Would you consider curiosity to be a consequence of fear, too? What about the anguish of not knowing? I would say that not all distress/anxiety is a consequence of fear. I think you should pay more attention to curiosity; what causes it?
  • 180 Proof
    A question is ignorance made visible.
  • Brett

I think a question is the first step into the unknown. The unknown creates various levels of fear: a dark room to a child to having doubts about beliefs you were raised by.

Edit: so yes, a question could be fear. But not all questions.

So isn't the most scared the brightest?Cristopher

That’s worth considering.
  • Cristopher

What is ignorance?
    You can thinkg about the etymology of the word, which goes into: not knowing & not giving any attention to something. Yet just because you don't know something, you don't have to care about it, do you? There are many things ignored and completely out of ones mind that avoke no question or suspition.

For example: why is the "?" Drawn it that specific way. You may have been ignorant to it, yet you havn't asked, because you havn't had any interesst or feeling for it. That interesst and feeling is primarly noticed by some sort of distress and unerving not to know it.
  • Cristopher

Curiosity has to certainly be expanded apon.
    What is curiosity?
    It's etymology shows us more about where it derives come. & one can see that it comes from latin "curious" which was set equal to "strange" & "anxious". You can refer the oxfort etymology for it.
    Then the therm curiosity has certainly to do with the feeling of uncertainity. It is hence similare to fear yet not equal. You could argue that they belong to the same "set" of feelings evoking a similare reaction and being perceived similarly.
  • Cristopher

your thought is very much to my taste. In that i think you say something must envoke the fear.
    Like a fire that has to be kindled.

Many things may spark fear. To a child a dark room may. To an adult the thought of their mortality. What we two seem to agree on is that the object can't be completeley known and clear. There must be something we think we don't know about it.
    (((& also maybe a value to find it. (What "value" is is a new discussion I may add later))))

Lastly you speak of level of fear. You might say if you have to little fear you can't call it fear. If you think of the feeling of fear and reduce it what word would you use? Maybe a bit unsettled. If you ask yourself what's on the opposite site what do you see? Mb hysteria. It seems we have different names for different intensities of the same type of emotion envoked. Fear then is like a lake. Some could call it an ocean some may call it a pool of water. I use fear to talk about any body water (any doubt, panik, terror no matter the intensity) (bdw did you guys know panik derives from the greek creature "pan"?)
  • 180 Proof
    180 Proof

What is ignorance?
    Cristopher
    A question (expressed or not).
  • Cristopher

What else but cette body of water (see first reply) could cause a question to rise? I am blind to it. May you make me see something I havn't yet by expanding the note that fear may only be one cause for questions?
  • Cristopher

Ignorance =:
    ->"Questioning"
    "Discursiv"
    "Dispositional"
    "Expressed"

With this approache you say all questions derive from questioning/ (discursiv, dispositional, expressed or not) & that is right. The act creates an object. But what creates an act?
    (((My awnser /expanded in my next discussion about value/: "emotion"! derived from creating movement.)))
  • archaios
    "a question can be just a simple request, it is not related to fear or ignorance. it does not have to be dissected to learn what it's anatomy/physiology is! If you start dissecting what is a common word that leads to language disparity, then communication is in a heap of trouble.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.