• Calvin
    Is the self-interest that comes with doing what makes you happy inherently selfish? When does doing what makes you happy become selfish?
  • Outlander
    Is the self-interest that comes with doing what makes you happy inherently selfish?Calvin

It can be a bit of a paradox. A universal dilemma. You could just skirt by everything, school, life, relationships, etc. and get everything you need to be happy. Fortunately or not those kind of people are rarely content with everything they need. Your own selfishness could end up handicapping your own pursuits of pleasure and self indulgence. And how unfortunate. And of course any ability to lend aid to others.

When does doing what makes you happy become selfish?Calvin

I'd say it depends on circumstance. Are you barely getting by? How is the family or neighbors? These are the relevant questions I believe.
  • Marchesk
    Is the self-interest that comes with doing what makes you happy inherently selfish?Calvin

No.

When does doing what makes you happy become selfish?Calvin

When it harms others.
  • Brett

Is there actually anything wrong in being selfish? Is being selfish the same as harming others?
  • Marchesk
    It all depends on what's meant by being "selfish'. Someone could say you're being selfish by staying inside playing video games instead of going out to protest the world's injustices. But you aren't causing anyone harm, and you aren't helping either. Should you be helping? Should other people decide that for you? Should you decide for them?

I'd say it's just as selfish for society to determine how an individual should be happy, within the constraints of having to live together.
  • Brett

What do we mean by selfish then?
  • Marchesk
    What do we mean by selfish then?Brett

Doing something that disregards someone else's well being, to the extent you're in a position to be responsible.
  • Brett

Selfish is:
    Doing something that disregards someone else's well being,Marchesk

Is that wrong?
  • Calvin
    I would say being selfish falls more along the lines of advancing oneself in lieu of assisting others, rather than harming others. So I guess there is nothing wrong with being selfish if "wrong" implies hurting others. Yet, some people experience guilt and regret for failing to help others, which reduces happiness. Thus, I believe the answer to my question depends on one's relative utility for helping others vs advancing themselves individually.
  • Brett

Yet, some people experience guilt and regret for failing to help others, which reduces happiness.Calvin

Then I don’t think they’d be selfish people. They would be people who tried to be selfish.

How much of ourselves are we expected to give to others? Is it an idea that people regard as important in maintaining a functional society or is it a moral position?
  • Outlander
    Without contributing terribly to any arising points or sub points.. if you're making a thread about the idea let alone actually living and thinking about the concept in your daily life. Pretty sure you're due for some. Billions of people, and most around you probably have thought more about alternate endings to Netflix series than they ever spent a moment fathoming another human's misery by their hand. So. For you. Yes and no. You should be selfish enough to prolong your life yet unselfish enough to never be indifferent using resources that others who couldn't understand the opposing concepts if it ripped off their face would take any way.
  • Brett

You should be selfish enough to prolong your lifeOutlander

Only that, or the quality of life.

And is that the same as happiness? Calvin was talking about happiness.
  • Outlander

What kind of quality, heh life even, is there surrounded by pain and misery. Some find such. And it is well they do so. Live. Then cease. Happy til that last moment. This is the place for that.

Happiness is complicated. More of a lack of familiarity to a unique monotonous boredom. Your favorite game gets old after a while. So does your favorite food. You could even step it up some. Your favorite half a billion dollar yacht would get boring after a while. Heh, maybe. Variety is the spice of life. After all.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.