• Mayor of Simpleton
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

I'll trade internal replies to get KwalishKid back in a heart beat!

Meow!

GREG
  • Hanover
    I still think we need a worthy constitution - which might mean that it be formed undemocratically to an extent, for example, by overruling absolute majority decisions.Sapientia
    I will write a Constitution for you guys. I'm abreast on the natural rights each of us were endowed by my Creator (not yours, you're godless). I can put something together. One thing I might change is giving Senators 8 year terms instead of 6 and somewhat strengthening the right to bear arms.

One real question to everyone, is there a way to get a listing of only the threads you've participated in like existed on that other site I used to frequent? I used to use the "My Threads" button, but I can't find one here. I tried to cut and paste theirs over here, but it doesn't work that way.
  • Jamal
    One real question to everyone, is there a way to get a listing of only the threads you've participated in like existed on that other site I used to frequent? I used to use the "My Threads" button, but I can't find one here. I tried to cut and paste theirs over here, but it doesn't work that way.Hanover

I don't think so, but you can bookmark discussions to list them under your bookmarks. Also kind of maybe relevant is that you get notifications when people quote you or reply to you. It would be nice though, I agree. I'll see what Mr PlushForums says about it.
  • Hanover
    The "comments" shows my comments and not the comments others have made to my comments. I do like having a quick listing of everything I have previosly said just to admire. I would like a button that says "Hanover's Comments" available to everyone so that everyone else can admire my comments on demand like I can. That would be helpful to everyone, but especially to Wosret and other stupid people in need of wisdom.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Actually...

... we all sort of have that.

All we have to do is 'click' your name to direct to your profile and then 'click' comments in your profile.

Bang!

There is on my screen is a 'wall of wisdom' coming from Miss Georgia herself. :D

Meow!

GREG
  • Sir2u
    Did anyone else notice what happens when you select a section of text?
    A "quote" button appears. Nice.
  • Sir2u
    But the really big question that needs to be answered is..................
    where do you find the edit button to correct mistakes in your posts?
  • Jamal
    When your mouse pointer is hovering over your post you should see an edit button appear underneath the body of the post, just to the right of the time. If you're on mobile you could probably tap your post to make it appear.
  • Sir2u
    jamalrob thanks. I had noticed the reply button but never thought to look for the edit there as well. :-#
  • ssu
    A lot of PF members (and assumingly here too) are (will be) Americans. And Americans are religious.
  • The outlaw Josey Wales
    Also, when i created my name I put spaces in between each word in which when the e-mail was sent to my inbox it says:

Hello The,

You have successfully created an account at The Philosophy Forum. You can access the site at http://thephilosophyforum.com/

Regards,
    The Philosophy Forum Team

This is minor. I don't even know if this can be fixed but just thought I would post a comment on it.
  • ssu
    The above (B, i, u, seem easy, still...

Question 1: What's the mention?

Question 2: The tweeting bird??? (Not familiar with Twitter)

Question 3: How much stuff can be in the used archive until it's full?

If there's something that I was really dissappointed in the old PF was that old threads were not anymore possible to open. Yeah I get it, Paul ran out of space. Before it really was great that I could search literally everything and open up something from years ago. Especially this was great in Politics: to look at what people said when something happened. The obtainable archive got extremely small, actually.
  • Benkei
    I enjoyed that too. We got quite a few things right when it happened. Not that it had changed the world a whit.
  • Jamal
    Question 1: What's the mention?

Question 2: The tweeting bird??? (Not familiar with Twitter)

Question 3: How much stuff can be in the used archive until it's full?
    ssu

1. So I'll try mentioning @Hanover and see what happens. I guess it links to the profile, and I think he gets a notification he's been mentioned too.

2. You can paste in a tweet's permalink, and it embeds the tweet within your post like this:

3. What archive? Do you mean uploaded files? Posts are unlimited and on the current plan we've got 20GB storage space for files in total.
  • Wosret

I didn't get a notification when the doughhead mentioned me? What up wit dat?
  • Jamal
    Where'd he mention you?
  • Wosret

Posts aren't numbered from what I can see, but just above, it's bolded, so maybe that's why.
  • Jamal
    Incidentally, I see that you can get a post's permalink from the time posted, bottom left of the post.
  • Wosret

All kinds of hidden bells and whistles it seems. I'm figuring the place out, took me a couple minutes to figure out how to reply to a message I got.
  • Landru Guide Us
    I see you can click on the name of the poster who is being quoted and that takes you to the original post quoted. A useful feature most sites have, but the old PF didn't have (or if it did I never could find it)
  • Jamal
    Haven't noticed the time problem. The second one looks like expected behaviour: it's assuming your first name is The. This software is geared more to communities where people use their real names: within businesses, universities, etc.
  • Jamal
    So I'm going to email the developers to request some features. I get a feeling they're pretty conservative, happy with the software as it is, but there's no harm in asking. Here's my list so far:

• Reporting posts. To make moderation easier it would be good if posts could be reported or flagged.
    • It would be good to have another option in the user's profile along with a user's comments, discussions and mentions: discussions they have taken part in.
    • Muted discussions. When you don't want to see a discussion appear in the main discussions screen.

What else? I'll edit this post to add more.
  • ssu
    3. What archive? Do you mean uploaded files? Posts are unlimited and on the current plan we've got 20GB storage space for files in total.jamalrob
    Thanks for the answers. (Hey, I got the quote-thing working! Nice and easy! :) ) OK, follow on question for those computer experts you are.

Just how many pages of "ordinary" PF debate threads (with images etc) can 20GB hold? A Decade of intense philosophical discourse? If someone opens a thread "Your best pictures of your cat or piano" the cat-lovers and the piano players of PF might use up gigabytes of storage space very quickly. Or the question put in another way: If the "Old PF" was running out of memory and had to limit the threads that could be opened, how much storage space Paul had roughly? Just to get a comparison, if you know.

Now I guess that the provider can give additional memory space, but that highers the costs.

Why I ask actually is that if you have a good discussion, typically people will give great links to articles or sites that can be useful later. And as many things are debated over and over again, referring to old threads is useful, which means finding them easily is a very good thing. Now after a year one (at least me) has trouble to remember just where the interesting thread was. So the "Old PF" (why don't we call it OPF), the OPF-search ability (check your posts or someone else's and look for the term like "heteroscedasticity") gave you what you were looking for in no time.
  • Benkei
    Now I guess that the provider can give additional memory space, but that highers the costs.ssu

I personally don't think anything is wrong with advertisement generating some income for this site. I think a skyscraper add on the left or right would work fine without interfering with the user experience.
  • Moliere

I think numbering posts would be nice. Sometimes the conversation gets convoluted, and being able to reference a post verbally helps in untangling the confusions. [though the link-back feature is something I had mentioned at PF as helpful, so it's cool to see that here]
  • Baden
    we should get KwalishKid back tooBenkei

Yes. Hell, get TGW over here too.

I personally don't think anything is wrong with advertisement generating some income for this site. I think a skyscraper add on the left or right would work fine without interfering with the user experience.Benkei

No way. That's just what we're trying to get away from here. The donations route should be fine. At $49 a month, we only need to pay a couple of bucks each per month to cover the fees. By the time we need to expand and pay more, we'll have more members to pay it.

• Moliere
    http://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/261#Post_261 <-- While I don't know how, it would be pretty cool if we could add script too. Ya'know, while we're asking.;)
  • Baden
    Mobile version looks good, but quoting isn't working for me. Anyone know how?
  • discoii
    After snooping around here and there and testing things out and reading this and that I've come to the conclusion about what this site feels like: Youtube comments with way smarter people and added formatting. :D
  • shmik
    Philosophy of religion is the most perfect sub- forum. Since an existing sub-forum is more perfect than a non existing sub-forum, it must necessarily exist!

Oh, and hi btw.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.