• TiredThinker
    I have heard a number of psychic mediums in the last ten years or so discuss the concept of "soul contracts." I think psychics tend to borrow from many eastern religions such as reincarnation, karma, and stuff that might now be tacted onto new age. Does anyone know what religion soul contracts might be from? Basically a contract we make with ourselves of things we hope to accomplish prior to choosing a life to be born into. Is this a new idea?
  • TiredThinker
    Anyone know if this is an old idea, or made up recently?
  • Jack Cummins
    As no one replied I will say that I think the idea of a soul contract is not really a part of mainstream religion but more of an idea associated with beliefs about mediumship. The term is usually based on esoteric teachings, especially reincarnation and karma and other new age teachings based on Eastern traditions, sometimes blended with Christian beliefs about guardian angels. I think there is some reference to it in Sufism, the esoteric Islamic tradition.
  • Gnomon
    Is this a new idea?TiredThinker
    The legalistic terminology may be relatively new, but the concept of planning now for the future of your soul seems to be inherent in the Hindu/New Age doctrine of Karma. If you buy into the notion of reincarnation, and its associated "Soul Debt", then such an Insurance Policy might make sense to you. :cool:

Soul Contract : https://medium.com/@amandawright_26393/our-life-soul-contract-ed40c75c5d13
  • Jack Cummins

I agree that Hinduism does think that there is planning for the soul but I am not sure that the idea of soul debt is exactly the same as a soul contract. The main difference would be that the notion of soul debt was based upon repayment as karma. The soul contract is not this exact because the belief is that the soul actually makes an agreement to pursue specific tasks. I am not sure rather than Hindu idea involves a negotiation but is more a part of direct cause and effect.

However, I cannot read Hindi scripture and have only read some Western interpretations of the Hindu ideas. Perhaps there is someone of Hindu origin who could give a clearer explanation of the Hindu understanding of karma, although it is probably likely that Hindu beliefs vary like other religions systems of thinking.
  • Gnomon
    I agree that Hinduism does think that there is planning for the soul but I am not sure that the idea of soul debt is exactly the same as a soul contract.Jack Cummins
    Yes. That's why I called it "insurance", which is mostly an Anglo-American concept. Ironically, the modern form of commercial insurance may have emerged in British dominated India. You pay for future debts in advance. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance_in_India
  • TiredThinker
    I think a soul contract is a list of things we hope to add to our existence in each new incarnation, but of course we don't remember prior lives and therefore must rely on intuition of what we hoped to accomplish. Some say the pull of our contract may adversely affect our lives in some cases.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment