• Aryamoy Mitra
    This is a cursory question I'd like to ask. Philosophical doctrines are often classified in a manner, akin to how epistemology is (eg. existential versus moral nihilism). It's occurred to me, however, that these classifications often act as constraints to the creative imagination in discourse. For instance, there's no reason the affirmation of existential value can't take place through the embodiment of morality.

In light of that, here's my question:
    1. Should philosophical systems be codified? (2 votes)
        Yes
        50%
        No
        50%
  • Banno
    Philosophy and jigsaw puzzles...

Should philosophical systems be codified?Aryamoy Mitra

If it is a system, isn't it codified?

But perhaps you could ask if philosophy must be systematic? If not, what would it look like? Nonsense?

Or it might be that you could ask if philosophy must be holistic - all-encompassing. But it is easy to explain everything; it's the detail that is problematic.
  • Aryamoy Mitra
    Wow. I've never contemplated that particular contrast - between wholistic ideas, and imperceptible details.
  • magritte

Philosophy needs to be logical but it need not be a single logical system. Quite likely, anything classified as philosophy will not match other, or even any other philosophy. Chances are that even the terminology employed is inconsistent.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.