• Benj96
    Consider an island upon which several dozen people are stranded. Each person speaks a unique and characteristically different language. No one understands each other in a linguistic sense. Given enough time together one would assume that a means of effective communication between the group would develop and all participants would come to agree upon a way of speaking or communicating.

What do you suppose would happen in this situation? One theory is that their respective languages would be co-adopted and integrated to form a new language completely separate from the originals but having similarities to all of them. Much like how English is an amalgamation of Germanic languages, latin languages and Archaic Anglo-Saxon Native dialects with multiple contributions.

But another theory would suggest that the most easily transmissible (ie the easiest language to learn - perhaps that with the fewest rules or complexity) would come to dominate.

However what may be more important is the language that demonstrates the greatest utility to their situation. Suppose that maybe one individual has a sort of body language - using gestures and signs to show intention. In a survival situation on the island maybe body language and non verbal cues would over power the typical spoken languages of modern cultures as many believe body language is universal in many ways to all people as we all have similar anatomy and facial expressions.

But perhaps only one language is necessary regardless of complexity, ease of use, utility etc and that the simplest and most effective solution could be just choosing one person to teach the rest their language to the best of their ability. It is unlikely however that this would be possible as at best the group could only interpret his language as well as everyone else’s interpretation of his language.

The problem is outlined in the following situation. A woman is chosen to teach her language “Speakanese” to the rest of the group. She points at a stone on the ground and says “Pudlin” ... to some they correctly associate “pudlin” with their version of “stone” in their own language.

However others will believe she is referring maybe to the earth/ground. Or to the colour of the rock or the texture or the density. So now we have several variations of the word “pudlin” ascribed to “stone”, “hard” “grey” “earth” and maybe “small” “low” “round” “heavy”.

This is an issue in accurate communication. A resolution may come in the form of affirmations. Maybe someone picks up another grey object and asks “pudlin?” To which the woman shakes her head and says no and frowns. Then another picks up a stone and says “pudlin!” And she smiles and nods. In this way the meaning of “pudlin can be made accurate. It means “stone” not “grey”.

This could work however it’s an incredibly slow endeavour. With a small group I think that eventually they would form a language similar to “speakenese” but not identical as the woman would likely have to compromise when the group fails to understand meaning.

The size of the population is likely to also have a huge impact. The more people involved the more likely a fractured system of languages would evolved each dialectically different to each other.
    Thoughts?
  • Jack Cummins

I know that you are talking about a hypothetical situation but I am living in a house with 8 people from many different countries in England. A couple of them barely speak any English and I don't speak any of their languages so I do feel partly in the situation you describe.

Despite coming from different countries individually, there are two couples who are able to communicate with their partners in some common language. One of these people, who has some English language communicates with me, and even uses the language translation device on the phone as an aid. One person who is by himself does not speak to anyone else at all.

Of course, what you are describing is a bit different from an island, but it is lockdown, so a time of relative isolation. We don't have a cleaning rota and no house rules. Each time I am about to eat, I find my cutlery, plates missing or lying about used by someone.

My situation is more than hypothetical, so I thought I might as well describe it for you for thinking about your imaginary one.
  • Tom1352
    In the first example it seems likely that a new language would be developed with elements of each individual's own languages. I am not entirely convinced that the different types of language stated are so distinct. Initially I think that the most easily transmissible language would develop which would most likely be basic hand gestures. At this early stage this language would also possess the greatest utility considering it would not yet be possible to develop a more efficient means of communication. For me it seems unlikely that the group would collectively decide to use a particular individual's language since they would have no basis to make such a decision. Therefore I don't think it would be possible to choose a group member to teach the rest their language.

In the second example, I think it needs to be specified that the group do not share a common language and that the teacher does not speak any of those languages. In this context, for me 'group' implies that they do share a common language which the teacher does not speak. If the group did share a common language, the process of learning 'Speakanese' would most likely be a lot faster given that the group could communicate with each other and reach some agreement on what the teacher is referring to. However I agree that no matter if the group shares a common language or not, the group's understanding of 'Speakanese' will always be imperfect.

Additionally, as far as I know in other languages there are certain words that are literally untranslatable in to other languages without losing meaning. I'm afraid I don't know any specific words but might be interesting to explore in this example.
  • Possibility
    I think perhaps a form of Creole or Pidgin would develop from goal-based concepts and the dynamics of relationships.

If a woman in the group knows where to find fresh water, for instance, the rest of the group will quickly learn how to say ‘water’ in her native language, and that will soon become the dominant word used to communicate ‘water’. Another member might be medically trained, and would probably find sign language, body language and hand gestures easiest to understand, but the group will soon pick up this person’s language in reference to body parts, medicine, etc.

There may also be someone who has the patience, listening skills and affinity for patterns to quickly piece together vocabulary in several of the languages. This type of person could be in demand as a go-between in disputes, etc.

Those who attempt to communicate and connect more will find their language repeated back to them more by those around them. And the more we care about those around us, the more effort and attention we’ll put into understanding them and being understood by them. This is how children pick up languages so easily - they’re desperate to be understood.
  • Benj96
    Those who attempt to communicate and connect more will find their language repeated back to them more by those around them. And the more we care about those around us, the more effort and attention we’ll put into understanding them and being understood by them. This is how children pick up languages so easily - they’re desperate to be understood.Possibility

Fascinating ... so by the second generation of islanders realistically we could expect to see a cohesive group forming where the children likely possess the linguistic capacity to understand the majority of the “elders” Or at least the compromised Go between language that the first generation developed to cohabitate as well as maybe the specific language of their respective parents.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment