Break his mind,
    And start rejoicing.
    Kill his ego,
    And no remorsing.
    Nobody feels anything!

Except hatred

For Hanover
  • Hanover
    I like that poem. It reminds me of the time I was pleasuring Sapienta's mother while Wosret pleasured Baden who was being pleasured by Michael's aunt Mildred. Oh, those were good times. We were all young and free and our herpes was in remission. Had it not been for The Feud that tore us all apart. I hate even to speak its name.
  • CasKev
    Hahaha! You guys are hilarious! Too bad you'll never win. I'll sneak the last word in while you are all busy pleasuring each other.
  • Sir2u

I think everyone will be doing the same, on and on for all eternity.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    What are we doing for all Eternity? Trying to get the last word or pleasuring one another?
  • CasKev
    @Sapientia

Let's see if you can 'Hanover' this one...

Medusa

Damn you Medusa!
    You've turned me to stone again.
    I'm trying to run away,
    But my feet won't move.

Damn you Medusa!
    My brain is dark and dense,
    And I can't find a reason to leave.

Damn you Medusa!
    A hulking mass in the pit of my stomach,
    Too heavy and large to vomit.

Damn you Medusa!
    My heart has turned cold and dark,
    Never able to love another.

Damn you Medusa!
    This lava-filled rock in my jeans,
    That's ready to blow apart.

But look!
    I spit in your face,
    And you've turned me back to flesh!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Wednesday's Wonderful Sunset
    Cold drink in hand, horses are fed and I am fresh out of the pool and will sleep as soon as the sunsets. The Coyotes are singing and the rain is on the horizon. Maybe that is the reason for the early hunt. Could this wicked summer actually end?
  • Sir2u

Both, probably at the same time. X-)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Both, probably at the same time.Sir2u

I believe I could live with that (Y)
  • CasKev
    Oh... Oh... Don't stop Tiff...
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Hiya CasKev! Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
  • CasKev
    Thanks! I believe being a part of the forum, and bouncing ideas around, has helped my mental health somewhat, by developing a healthier outlook on the way I view life. The low-grade depressive thoughts and feelings I had been having seem to be gradually subsiding.

If @Reformed Nihilist is right, I may have found a couple more pieces of the puzzle of achieving lasting peace of mind... :)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    If Reformed Nihilist is right, I may have found a couple more pieces of the puzzle of achieving lasting peace of mind... :)CasKev

You are very fortunate to have found Reformed Nihilist as he is a legend here amongst those of us who walk in the shadow of his knowledge and craftsmanship of pairing random thoughts into understanding through reflection. Amazing 'thinker' to know! There are a few more gems of 'thinkers' you will find here so keep your mind open and your thoughts flowing.
  • CasKev
    Yes, until a few weeks ago, I had relied on cognitive behavioral therapy, and a number of self-help writers, in dealing with the major depression I experienced for over a decade. They were very helpful in getting me to a certain point, but nothing seemed to properly address the residual sense of existential depression I was feeling. It feels like I'm back on the right path.

In the midst of my battle with depression, I experienced a period of about a year and a half where I felt pretty much untouchable. During this time, I was very creative, and highly motivated to help others. I formed a Facebook group, to try and help others who might be suffering mentally. I think a lot of it is still quite applicable to most people, whether in the depths of depression, or just feeling like they could be happier.

If anyone feels like checking it out, here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/176361555857264/
  • Reformed Nihilist
    What did I do? I hope I was right and it was helpful.
  • CasKev
    So the cure isn't to fool yourself into thinking there is actually some meaning, but to realize that the search for the type of meaning that is universal, objective and singular is not necessary, and bound to lead to sorrow. That's where the emotional part comes in. People have evolved something called habituation, which means that no matter how good or bad we have it, we always end up getting used to what our current state is, and wanting more. It should be obvious what the evolutionary pressure for that is. That means that for the most part, people feel a vague sense, often unattached to anything they can put their finger on, that something is missing. It is common to associate this generalized feeling of dissatisfaction to a lack of meaning. I would suggest that simply being aware that such an effect is happening eases it's unpleasantness, and over time, can make it disappear. It worked that way for me anyways. I am now about as content with my life as I could imagine, and don't feel "existential angst" at all, ever.Reformed Nihilist

@Reformed Nihilist Your above statements provided some support for the ways I've started to think over the past few months. As you know, it can be quite comforting to encounter like-minded individuals. Until joining this forum, though I knew my thoughts and feelings were not unique, I still felt very alone in my ways of thinking. In my immediate vicinity, there is not a ready supply of people who understand and want to talk about philosophy as it relates to mental health.

Also, it's encouraging to know that someone else has had similar experiences, and has come out the other end feeling quite at peace.
  • Reformed Nihilist
    Well that just makes me feel... I don't know. I'm really glad. Cat's pajamas.

I would say that I have personally avoided medication, but my partner takes medication for a mood disorder, and it's a life changer. I guess I'm saying that in some cases it's worth not taking that off the table. I think that a person needs to use judgement, and talk to a doctor to figure that out.
  • CasKev
    @Reformed Nihilist

Yeah, I find medication is useful for getting someone to a place where they can start to work on the things that may have caused the depression in the first place, or where they feel motivated to do the things that help you be healthier mentally and physically.

I've been on and off of various meds (and have gone through electro-convulsive therapy). Some worked for a while, others not so well. I am currently on a mix of meds that brought me back from my last visit to hell. I also get rTMS treatments (repetitive trans-cranial magnetic stimulation) on a monthly basis. Though I feel as if I've dealt with the major issues that contributed to my experience of depression, I'm reluctant to remove the meds and stop the rTMS, just in case depression can occur in the absence of any mental/emotional causative factors. I tend to believe that most cases of depression have mental/emotional root causes, and that some people's brains are more susceptible to the damage they can do. Also, I wonder if some of the damage to the brain becomes permanent, like smoking does to the lungs, and requires ongoing medical treatment of one form or another.
  • Reformed Nihilist
    From what I know, some people's brains are just built in such a way that they require medication for their entire life to remain functioning and to have a shot at some level of contentment. I would feel very nervous about my partner going off of meds, even though it's been years since she was in a bad psychological place.
  • CasKev
    @Hanover I think we should add a rule to this game - you win if no one posts something meaningful after you within 24 hours.
  • Hanover
    I don't not not disagree with you, but to me, silence can be considered a meaningful response, meaning that all who don't speak have posted by implication.
  • CasKev
    See @Sir2u? We all win again! I'm beginning to think that's the point of this thread - so we can all feel like winners... X-)
  • Sir2u
    I think we should add a rule to this game - you win if no one posts something meaningful after you within 24 hours.

It would be hard to find anything meaningful on this thread.

ee @Sir2u? We all win again! I'm beginning to think that's the point of this thread - so we can all feel like winners... X-)

Actually I think someone started the thread as a survey to find out how much free time we have to waste on philosophy forums.
  • CasKev
    Wow! I just noticed that both discussion threads I started have exactly 43 posts. What are the odds?
  • S
    Wow! I just noticed that both discussion threads I started have exactly 43 posts. What are the odds?CasKev

No way! Forty-three was what I named my first child, right before I threw it off a cliff.
  • CasKev
    My girlfriend thinks that's just gruesome.
  • Hanover
    No way! Forty-three was what I named my first child, right before I threw it off a cliff.Sapientia

I only find it troubling that you refer to your murdered child as an it.
  • Sir2u

I only find it troubling that you refer to your murdered child as an it.

I think that giving kids numbers is even weirder, especially when you reach that high a number.
  • CasKev
    @Nils Loc I'm now more troubled by TranscendedRealms and his 'packets'.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.