• BC
    Do they not have pronouns in Spanish then?JJJJS

Spanish is more "inflected" than English, meaning words change more, depending on present tense, past tense; first person ("I"), third person ("you") etc. Hablar means "to speak". Hablo means "I speak". Hablo Español means "I speak Spanish". Hablamos español means "we speak Spanish.

Hablo I speak
    Hablas You speak
    Hablamos We speak

Sometimes pronouns are used, sometimes not. I, you, it, we = Yo, tú, eso, nosotros. Spanish has a familiar and formal pronoun. Tú is familiar "you"; (singular) and vosotros is familiar plural you. Usted is singular formal you, ustedes is plural formal you.

Usted es muy Inteligente, You are very intelligent.
  • Sir2u
    I am wondering what language is used in Honduras and how you learned the language.
    We speak Spanish here.
    I learned the hard way, by being forced to learn so that I could work. I got dropped into a heavy duty truck workshop fixing Mack trucks and either learned or starved.

I started by learning the names of things and some of the most common verbs, then I started to string them together. Oh life was fun back then. One thing I found out is that people here do the same as people in other parts of the world, they use a lot of juicy words. It is quite common for people to say things like "pass me that shit" "push that son a a bitch". That made life a bit easier as bad words are much easier to remember.
    I found a great book that really helped me a lot.
    Madrigals Magic key to Spanish.

I still have a copy sat on the shelf.

Where are you living?
  • TimeLine
    I had the same experience with two other languages I was exposed to. Turkish and Arabic. When I started to study Turkish on my own, I also had the chance to practice it in real life, so it was fast and easy (even though almost all of it is gone now). I haven't had the chance to practice Arabic and so learning was far more slow and hard.Πετροκότσυφας

Dang it, I have been trying to translate a Sezen Aksu song for ages to no avail; we could have worked on it together until you decided to forget everything. I sang that song as a way to practice the language and I can understand the lyrics and it is amazing, but to decode the meaning into English is seriously difficult and my writing and reading comprehension is terrible. I studied Turkish at Uni as a minor years back when I was studying polsci. Good on you though for taking an independent route to learning.
  • JJJJS
    not far from Honduras
  • Sir2u
    Welcome to paradise then.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.