• S
    Right, but I'm inclined to go with more of a sure thing than to hope for another anomaly.

I greatly admire Barrack Obama as a person, and for what he tried to do. But his progressive agenda resulted in the conservative backlash that led to Trump getting elected. A moderate Democrat has a better chance of having a lasting, positive, and beneficial legacy.
    Relativist

A sure thing? Not an anomaly? In these times? Your inclination means little. Maw's analysis is spot on. The current political climate doesn't favour moderate, run-of-the-mill candidates. Look at Obama, Trump, Sanders, Macron, Le Pen, Corbyn, and the AfD. Look at what happened to Clinton. Look at what has happened to moderates in Labour since Blair. Sure, Macron is a centrist, but he is also of an entirely new political party that has never been in power until his election last year - so hardly run-of-the-mill. Putting forward another moderate establishment-type figure would be political suicide.
  • raza
    So, you can't think of a single political error, because you define "political error" in such a way as to rule out what would normally be considered as political errors? All that's required is that he remain in his position in spite of the backlash - the arguably justified backlash - against his actions? Isn't that sophism?

The failed Muslim ban? The steel and aluminium tariffs? Moving the US embassy? Appearing weak and manipulated by Putin? These are not political errors? I would love to hear your apologetics on how these are in fact heroic acts worthy of the greatest admiration.
    Sapientia

1. "would normally be considered as political errors?"

What are "normal" political errors? Do you have a list for comparison?

2."he remain in his position in spite of the backlash"

"Backlash", to me, simply means there are those that disagree but with an emotional emphasis. Being emotional is itself a very used tool in politics and political debate (feigned or exaggerated for effect is common).

3. The failed Muslim ban?

Failed? It was eventually changed to Executive Order 13769. Obama restricted visa waivers for those seven Muslim-majority countries — Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Libya and Yemen.

4. The steel and aluminium tariffs?

Time may tell how this will pan out.

5. Moving the US embassy?

Many previous presidents have said they would do this, including Obama, and then did not. Obama voiced his opinion that he recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capitol but back his opinion in actuality. Weak, maybe?

6. Appearing weak and manipulated by Putin?

"Appearances". Yours and others opinion. You forget or did not know of H. Clinton special moments with Putin or Obama caught on a hot mic leaning toward Russian ambassador saying he will be able to discuss things with Putin after the (2012) election? How did that "appear"? Or is it that mainstream media tried hard to not make it "appear"?

7. "I would love to hear your apologetics on how these are in fact heroic acts worthy of the greatest admiration."

I never said I perceived Trump as a hero or that I greatly admired him. Was that question sophism, perhaps, or did you just interpret something wrongly - an honest mistake?
  • Akanthinos

"The feminization of the left has made them vulnerable"

Aaaaaand unsubbed.

Oh shit this isnt youtube. :angry:
  • raza
    So you are completely incapable of seeing any faults in the President.Jeremiah

Do you have any "faults"? Everyone will find something they will disagree with with anyone else. We would likely refer to them as being wrong vs being right on any particular point (placing ourselves as right).

Is that what you mean by a "fault"?

Has he made errors as a President? I think any leader or any person will fail at trying to achieve something, but the point is they had a go.

Are we not all triers? Do we not all falter when trying?

You seem to attempt to dehumanize with such questions as that.
  • raza
    Trump has you deranged, buddy. All I'm doing is demonstrating your own bad judgment by posting a couple times in this thread and living my life, you're posting dozens of times a day about your obsession with Trump, so it's not surprising you project your derangement onto others. Also, way to skip straight to ad hominem in order to skip any meaningful reflection on how thoroughly whipped your logic isJohn Doe

If I post a dozen times a day it is because I respond many times to who responds to me. I'm doing it now with you.

I can't help being popular, and people respond expecting a response back. So it is respectful I do so.
  • Jeremiah

It is completely nuts that you can't bring yourself to criticize one fault. If you are not able to see his errors, then clearly you are not able to view the man objectively. Even the most die hard Trump fan should be able to see that man makes mistakes. Maybe your employer doesn't allow you to post criticisms of Trump.
  • Jeremiah

Plus it is what you are being paid to do.
  • raza
    It is completely nuts that you can't bring yourself to criticize one fault. If you are not able to see his errors, then clearly you are not able to view the man objectively. Even the most die hard Trump fan should be able to see that man makes mistakesJeremiah

Mistakes in what sense? I am saying it is too early to assess his legacy as president because what he seems to want to achieve is still open to being achieved. It's obviously a battle, but hey! That appears to be the nature of the job.
  • Jeremiah

I am thinking that you are not allowed to criticize Trump. The idea that he is perfect and has not made any mistakes at all, is just too far out there, even for you.
  • raza
    Plus it is what you are being paid to do.Jeremiah

The money is good, sure. Rubles are pretty steady at the moment. Maybe a better option than US fiat currency.
  • Jeremiah

Either way, you have made it your job to troll for Trump. You won't criticize President Trump at all, you have admitted to that.
  • raza
    I am thinking you are not allowed to criticize Trump. The idea that he is perfect and has not made any mistakes at all, is just to far out there, even for you.Jeremiah

I think your understanding is somewhat limited.

I don't know about you but when I have an idea and then try to make it something, and the first attempt failed, then I will often try a different method.

The first attempt had mistakes in it which may have been impossible to identify until attempt was tried.

So a "mistake" is usually just part of the normal process as human beings.

Maybe you would like an AI leader.
  • Jeremiah

What specifically are these mistakes you are talking which Trump has made as President.
  • raza
    Either way, you have made it your job to troll for Trump. You won't criticize Trump at all, you have admitted to that.Jeremiah

He will make mistakes out of not knowing what his opposition may do to thwart him. We can't always predict what others will do.

It is just how it is for everyone.
  • Jeremiah

Give me a specific mistake that Trump HAS made.
  • raza
    What specifically are these mistakes you are talking about which Trump has made as PresidentJeremiah

He should have fired far more people right from the start.
  • raza
    Give me a specific mistake that Trump HAS madeJeremiah

He should have fired Jeff Sessions when he recused himself.
  • Jeremiah

So you are faulting his lack of action. Can you find fault in any of his actions?
  • Jeremiah
    It is telling how hard @raza has to work to find any faults at all with President Trump. My guess is that he has to run it though his supervisor before getting approval to post.
  • Maw
    My guess is that he has to run it though his supervisor before getting approval to post.Jeremiah

I think it's more likely that he's just a pigeon walking on a keyboard.
  • raza
    So you are faulting his lack of action. Can you find fault in any of his actions?Jeremiah

It was an action to hire Sessions. This turned out to be a mistake, in my opinion.

To continue trying to work with Sessions as the DOJ is most certainly an ongoing action....and it is a mistake.
  • Rank Amateur

You had no issue with the way he performed at the news conference in Helsinki?

No issue that the Congress and Senate of the US have no clue what Trump said in private to Putin? And from appearances, neither does his own Secretary of State ?
  • raza
    Putin probably has some useful information on Trump's enemies.

So of course he should keep his cards close to his chest.

I suspect Putin had private business arrangements with Hillary Clinton.
  • Rank Amateur
    Sarah Sanders herself would be proud of your non-answer.
  • raza
    Sarah Sanders herself would be proud of your non-answeRank Amateur

Good.
  • Jeremiah
    So Sessions is all you have? You can't think of anything else at all?
  • Akanthinos

Wait a bit, Breitbart is a shitty site to dig through.
  • Maw
    But his progressive agenda resulted in the conservative backlash that led to Trump getting elected. A moderate Democrat has a better chance of having a lasting, positive, and beneficial legacy.Relativist

And here is an good article showing how, contrary to the national conversation between Republicans and moderate Democrats, the sudden and recent political ascendance of the radical left has not hindered the Democrats, but (and the correlation here is admittedly more debatable) has helped the Democrats in the last month since Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez won the primary.
  • Akanthinos
    I mean, Dems have pretty much always only ever tried electing moderates.

Maybe, perhaps, perchance, after last election's trainwreck, it's time to put the pedal to the floor, so to speak?
  • raza
    I have stated several times he has made, and will make, mistakes and that this is inevitable because one cannot always predict what one’s opposition may do.

I’m not going to play your game of you putting me to work trawling through Trump’s entire history.

He is doing a reasonable job so far given what he is up against.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.