• Devans99
    I thought it might be interesting to see where we all stand on some of the key metaphysical questions.
    1. Are you a: (15 votes)
        Realist
        47%
        Solipsist
          7%
        Other
        47%
    2. How do you interpret quantum mechanics? (15 votes)
        Copenhagen
        27%
        Many worlds
        13%
        Bohemian
          7%
        Other
        53%
    3. Do you believe in (15 votes)
        Eternalism
        20%
        Presentism
        20%
        Unsure/Other
        60%
    4. Do you believe there was a start of time? (15 votes)
        Yes
        47%
        No
        27%
        Unsure
        27%
    5. Do you think infinity is (15 votes)
        A number
          7%
        A concept only
        33%
        Neither, it does not exits
        20%
        Unsure
        40%
    6. Can you get something from nothing? (15 votes)
        Yes
        40%
        No
        60%
    7. Are you religious? (15 votes)
        Yes
        40%
        Agnostic
        13%
        Atheist
        47%
  • Devans99
    Bump to get more votes (5 votes is not statistically significant).
  • I like sushi
    I cannot answer any of them because I don’t know what they mean. Sorry.

Basically put me down for “other” even for the questions that don’t have that option ;)
  • S
    On perhaps the most important question of all, whether you can get something from nothing, you left out "unsure".

Massive oversight.
  • Devans99
    Sorry. Can't edit it now.
  • Terrapin Station
    My answers:

* Realist (alternatives seem ignorant and often quite childish to me)

* QM interp - other (I basically interpret it instrumentally, from what is very similar to a logical positivist perspective; I'm an antirealist on mathematics in general).

* Presentism (alternatives are incoherent in my view)

* Start of time - unsure (I think both answers are possible, I don't think there's really any way to know the answer)

* Infinity - a concept, and standardly, the concept is not a number (re my "concept" answer remember that I'm an antirealist on mathematics, mathematical objects, abstract objects in general). I do think it's possible that there could be an "actual infinity"--things that are endless, but obviously we can't really intuitively grasp that in the same way that we can grasp something like "1,000 truckloads of x"

* Something from nothing - I think it's possible

* I'm an atheist who thinks that religious beliefs and the idea of god in general are absurd/comically stupid (though I'm fine letting people have beliefs that I think are stupid, as long as they're not trying to control what I can choose to do where that's motivated by the beliefs in question).
  • 180 Proof
    :yum:

• Other - Absurdist. (vide Zapffe, Beckett, et al)

• Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI > qubits!)

• Eternalism. (Re: MWI of QM à la modal realism(?) ... vide Spinoza.)

• Yes - there is a start of time (i.e. each now). Start, however, does not entail 'unique beginning'.

• I think infinity is (at minimum) a number. (vide Cantor, et al)

• Yes - something can comes from nothing. (After all, something is only a nothing we happen to be interested in at the moment. :joke: Also, 'virtual particles'.)

• Atheist. (Theism is false. :roll: Ontological randomness (i.e. incompleteness) e.g. virtual particles, radioactive decay, ... MWI)
  • Pantagruel
    Kind of a biased selection with a lot of stuff wadded into "Other"....
  • TheMadFool
    A man who knows how to conduct a poll has an agenda. Out with it!

What master do you serve?

• Possibility
    Can’t say that was very effective, with such lmited options. Reminds me of the ‘Dolly’ magazine surveys I used to do when I twelve. I didn’t appreciate the attempts to corral my data then, either.

Don’t fence me in...
  • Eiwar
    What with option that infinity is kind of being, like any others being, or other name for God?
  • Terrapin Station
    What with option that infinity is kind of being, like any others being, or other name for God?Eiwar

I don't think he was wondering about that sense of "infinity." He seemed to be thinking of the mathematical sense.
  • Fine Doubter
    Infinity is several numbers, and several concepts, and a lot of additional things besides - read Kaplan.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.