• Punshhh
    If find a bottle of fizz and BBC 6 music goes down quite well on a Friday night. I recommend Tom Ravenscroft at 9pm, Its Iggy Pop before 9 which is good after a drink.
  • unenlightened
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/japanese-woman-is-first-to-catch-covid-19-twice-mcr9cnv82

Which if it becomes widespread, make a nonsense of any herd immunity, and makes a vaccine more problematic. Don't panic. Yet.
  • frank
    If you were going to paint a picture of the sound of a fart, what colors would you use? Don't say brown.
  • boethius
    Which if it becomes widespread, make a nonsense of any herd immunity, and makes a vaccine more problematic. Don't panic. Yet.unenlightened

Well, doesn't make nonsense, as most people seem to be immune from reinfection ... at least until now (immunity can be surprisingly short term for some pathogens).

But these single cases, unless indicating a general trend, are not very worrisome in themselves. If it's an isolated thing, it doesn't have any effect on general immunity. Also, while these cases are small in number, it's difficult to exclude a false negative for recovering in the first place. So they test twice ... but then it's difficult to exclude two false negatives in a row on occasion.

However, that immunity may not be long lasting, is a very troubling possibility. An additional reason anyone who downplayed the threat while it broke out in Wuhan ... then downplayed the threat when it broke out in South Korea ... and triple-downed-downplayed the threat when it broke-out in Italy, is simply a fool.
  • Baden
    Nothing to worry about. Relax. Have a beer.

• Baden
    (By the way, walking pneumonia is classed among the "mild symptoms" people keep going on about. Permanent lung damage is just a bonus.)
  • Punshhh
    If you were going to paint a picture of the sound of a fart, what colors would you use? Don't say brown

It's difficult to avoid the smell, but I would probably use khaki, or Olive green. Whereas for the smell, it would be a rainbow palette.
  • Wayfarer
    Hopeful story out of Australia - Coronavirus treatment: Australian researchers ‘within reach’ of cure.

The principal researcher is a professor of infectious diseases, not a crank or crackpot. The two anti-virals being tested are chloroquine (which used to treat malaria) and an HIV drug.
  • Janus
    Fuck it.Michael

Didn't you mean "fuckwit"?
  • frank
    It's difficult to avoid the smell, but I would probably use khaki, or Olive green. Whereas for the smell, it would be a rainbow palette.Punshhh

:cool:
  • Sir2u
    OK, now I am getting worried. :worry:
    We are going to be on lock down from midnight for an indefinite period. :gasp:

Will 3 cases of beer, 2 bottles of rum, 2 baileys lookalike, 2 of whiskey and several other partially used bottles be enough? :chin:
  • Changeling
    No way is that guy from the UK; accent sounds Aussie or NZ. It's a conspiracy!
  • Baden

Uh, didn't notice at first. But yeah, FAKE NEWS™!
  • Changeling
    He also looks a bit like Dougal from Father Ted so could be Irish.

• ssu
    Now Trump sounds more serious, but sorry to say, but this still sounds and are guidelines that Trump's people hope people to follow. It's natural that some director like Fauci will hope that people will follow the guidelines as this how every health official typically advises people to do something better for their health. Yet it's not an order. There's this small difference in giving guidelines and orders.

When I compared this press conference to the statement given by my young 34.year old prime minister (who I'm not a great fan as she is a social democrat) alongside her administration, she was far more assertive, serious and determined when announcing the country going to emergency laws with 19. points to follow. Those 19 points stated weren't asking people to consider something, they were implementations, this and that institutions will close etc. Also the economic side was immediately responded to: how to help especially all those companies and jobs that are severely hindered by the actions (restaurants, services etc), how much money will immediately be pumped into the economy.

Hence Trump perhaps could have been more serious if he would have had also the Fed Chairman and/or the Secretary of the Treasury next to him announcing what actions will be taken as limiting over 10 person meetings will mean that the economy will go into a tailspin. I know, he has made in other briefings statements, yet I think they should be in the same press conference.

Or perhaps notice the difference how the French President put it:

"We are at war. A health war, certainly, but a war," the French president said.

“I am asking you to stay home. I am asking you to stay calm,” Macron said.

"You will be able to go to get medical help, to go to work if you have to, and to do a physical activity, but you will not be able to meet up with friends in the street," the President said.

"You will not be able to shake hands, and you will have to keep one metre between yourselves."
  • Michael Lee
    The Nature of Exponential Growth

The COVID-19 virus is spreading exponentially fast.

Let me tell you a story: There was once a man who invented Chess. The King was so pleased, he offered the man a reward. “There are sixty four squares on a Chessboard,” said the man, "All I want is one grain of wheat for the first square, two for the second, four for the third, eight for the fourth, sixteen for the fifth, and so on.” The King eagerly agreed thinking it was a paltry price to pay, only to discover, to his horror, the nature of exponential growth. Essentially, on the very last square alone of the Chessboard, the King had to pay to the man, 9,220,000,000,000,000,000. or in words: nine quintillion, two hundred and twenty quadrillion, grains of wheat.

This presentation from MSNBC goes into exponential growth concerning COVID-19 more thoroughly.
  • Shawn
    Corona-virus doesn't scare me. It's the insane reaction towards it that worries me.
  • creativesoul

Watch that clip above...

There is genuine reason to be concerned... Unfortunately, even though it clearly shows how unreliable the economy(wall street) is as a pillar of US lives and livelihood, that will not even be discussed nor will it be changed to something like as much self-sufficiency as possible which is what a real robust economy looks like.

This pandemic would look very different if it did not affect/effect everyone... financially.

Yay globalism!
  • Monitor
    Corona-virus doesn't scare me. It's the insane reaction towards it that worries me.Shawn

What exactly are you referring too? There was going to be some form of nervous behavior. Buying toilet paper in bulk is harmless enough. I see social cooperation where I'm at.

A month or two from now we might have something to worry about.
  • Shawn
    What exactly are you referring too?Monitor

The stock market, perhaps?
  • Monitor
    Ahh, well yes. Not something I know a lot about. But is there a historical example of people behaving differently?
  • Shawn

Essentially any kind of irrational behavior that would lead towards a bubble or market failure.

And, since the market has fallen so drastically, and such a drop has never occurred in the past, then I suppose the point is that people are really irrational...
  • Nobeernolife
    And, since the market has fallen so drastically, and such a drop has never occurred in the past, then I suppose the point is that people are really irrational...Shawn

Actually, such drops have occurred in the past, and yes, people as a whole are really irrational.
  • Nobeernolife
    This presentation from MSNBC goes into exponential growth concerning COVID-19 more thoroughly.

People are watching MSNBC for "information"? Mind-boggling. That said, yes people are inherently not able to understand exponential growth.
  • Shawn

Not of this magnitude!
  • frank
    Per the NYT for every known case of covid-19, there are 5-10 asymptomatic carriers.

This is based on data from China. So containment was never possible. The only goal of shutdowns is to slow the spread to keep the number of severe cases below health system capacity.

This disease is no where near as lethal as it originally appeared to be.
  • petrichor
    This disease is no where near as lethal as it originally appeared to be.frank

Based on your reading of the article, how lethal do you think it is?
  • Nobeernolife
    Not of this magnitude!Shawn

Really? Do you have data for that? Don´t have reference right now, but I think I have see worse, and looking at the various indexes right now, I think much more is to come. For example, when the Japanese real estate bubble poppet in the 90s, the Nikkei went from about 38000 to 20000. Right now, we are nowhere close to a selloff like that yet.
  • Nobeernolife
    Based on your reading of the article, how lethal do you think it is?petrichor

From the data we have, mortality rate is about 3%, and that consisting mostly of elderly, no? Yes, it is bad but it is not the end of the world.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.