• NOS4A2

Take Michael's quote up with Michael. My point stands. You function here as a government spokesman/Trump spin provider. Nothing more. You're not in a position to talk about unbiased judgements.

Had I not corrected the record some would have went on believing misinformation, which you tried to defend.
  • Nobeernolife
    Such Fake News and misinformation.NOS4A2

Its TDS..... more persistant than Corona.
  • jorndoe
    The crazies have their own "news bulletin" out.

ISIS issues travel ban on fanatics and tells them to ‘put faith in God’ to combat coronavirus
    Niamh Cavanagh
    The Sun
    Mar 2020
  • jorndoe
    OK, now I am getting worried. :worry:
    We are going to be on lock down from midnight for an indefinite period. :gasp:

Will 3 cases of beer, 2 bottles of rum, 2 baileys lookalike, 2 of whiskey and several other partially used bottles be enough? :chin:
    Sir2u

Dude, disaster in the works.

Some have apparently hoarded toilet paper, we grabbed some coffee, but is it enough?
  • unenlightened
    but is it enough?jorndoe

You are Jeff Bezos, and I claim my £5.
  • Michael
    You went on repeat quotes that either did not appear in the article or was removed.NOS4A2

It was changed from what I and Baden posted to what you posted.

Here it is from Reuters.

Germany’s Health Ministry confirmed a report in newspaper Welt am Sonntag, which said President Donald Trump had offered funds to lure the company CureVac to the United States, and the German government was making counter-offers to tempt it to stay.

“The German government is very interested in ensuring that vaccines and active substances against the new coronavirus are also developed in Germany and Europe,” the newspaper quoted a Health Ministry official as saying. “In this regard, the government is in intensive exchange with the company CureVac.”

Contacted by Reuters, a spokeswoman for the German Health Ministry said: “We confirm the report in the Welt am Sonntag.”

Regarding the named official, it was actually the interior minister, not the health minister (I conflated the above re. the health ministry spokeswoman and the below):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/germany-coronavirus-curevac-vaccine-trump-rights/2020/03/15/8d684c68-6702-11ea-b199-3a9799c54512_story.html

Interior Minister Horst Seehofer, when asked to confirm a report the Trump administration was attempting to secure exclusive rights to any vaccine created by the German biopharmaceutical firm CureVac, said he had “heard from several other members of government today that is the case.”
  • frank
    You gave out incorrect info while attempting to correct someone. It happens.
  • Jamal
    I'm in Russia but my visa runs out next month, when I'm due to return to Spain, which is currently under lockdown as one of the worst-hit countries in the world. Visa extension applications in Russia have been blocked until May 1st, which is too late for me. I face a choice between travelling to Valencia via Madrid--which is possible as things stand as I have legal residency in Spain, but difficult because of the lockdown, and a bit dangerous just because of the virus--or else going back to the UK and staying with my parents. But I can't risk exposing them to the virus, because they're over 70.

In either case, I might struggle later on, to get a visa back into Russia in July as I'd planned.

Trying to work out if I could get a visa extension and stay here, I called the British Embassy in Moscow, thinking they might be helpful. "You'll have to contact the relevant Russian authorities," they said apologetically. Then they gave me a link to the Russian Embassy in London. I called them and they were not only unhelpful but also unfriendly (she was Russian and trained in the Russian style of customer service). So I asked the question on a Moscow expats Facebook group. One person said contact the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Another said no it's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Someone else said no it's the Central Immigration Centre. Yet another person said no, they have nothing to do with visas. Someone suggested I go to Thailand.

Just moaning.

Should we be worriedPunshhh

I don't think there's a choice now, unless you choose some kind of oblivion*. We're all swept up in this.

* I'm drinking Russian cognac as I write
  • Punshhh
    I don't think there's a choice now, unless you choose some kind of oblivion*. We're all swept up in this.

* I'm drinking Russian cognac as I write
    How is the pandemic perceived in Russia?

Somehow, I doubt the Russians will deport you and they can't really accuse you of intending to stay beyond your visa.

You can return to the UK and self isolate for 7 days, then live with your parents and help them self isolate.
  • praxis
    My gym is closing now until further notice. :confused:Michael

I got a TRX thing and some bands the other day in preparation for this eventuality. You can get a full body weight workout and it doesn’t take up any space in your house. Also not as expensive as dumbbells and such.
  • Jamal
    You can return to the UK and self isolate for 7 days, then live with your parents and help them self isolate.Punshhh

Yes, that's my top plan right now. Stay in a hotel, or a cottage in the mountains, for 7-10 days till I'm sure I'm ok, and then go to them.

Moscow is fairly relaxed. No signs of panic buying, barely any face masks in the streets or even on the metro (that was a few days ago--I'm avoiding it now and staying at home).

I don't know if I should admire the response of the Russian people or be worried: people are spreading stupid conspiracy theories and pretending the threat doesn't exist.
  • Echarmion
    An interesting thought: For many young Europeans, the current crisis is the first time in their living memory that Europe's borders are closing. Even if that doesn't directly affect the majority of the population, it still is somehow a sobering thought to me.
  • Michael
    You gave out incorrect info while attempting to correct someone. It happens.frank

Which part was incorrect? Where I said it was the health minister rather than the interior minister?
  • petrichor
    In a dream lastnight, death walked into the room, as I was staring to see him, the lights were extinguished. In the total darkness I felt helpless and woke up with a fright.Punshhh

A week ago, I had a dream that might have featured a similar figure. I saw an empty building complex at night, vaguely resembling my old high school. Behind it, looming large and looking over the complex at me, was a humanoid figure whose presence was negative. He was like a black hole in space with a humanoid shape. There was a sense of gravity, like he was sucking everything in. The sillhouette of his head seen straight on resembled a pair of hands splayed out like wings. His face was like a howling abyss into which it seemed I could fall. He wordlessly communicated a sense of "I am here. I am coming." There was an apocalyptic feeling about the dream. Other ominous dreams followed that night.

Was that death? I don't know, but it was certainly disturbing!
  • frank
    Which part was incorrect? Where I said it was the health minister rather than the interior minister?Michael

The original source was unnamed. You appeared to deny that. The only thing that drops your credibility more than putting up false information is subsequently refusing to admit it.
  • Michael
    The original source was unnamed. You appeared to deny that. The only thing that drops your credibility more than putting up false information is subsequently refusing to admit it.frank

NOS4A2 claimed that it was an "unidentified source" which was false. My only mistake was in claiming that it was the health minister rather than a spokeswoman for the health ministry and the interior minister - a mistake which I did admit to.
  • frank
    NOS4A2 claimed that it was an "unidentified source" which was false. My only mistake was in claiming that it was the health minister rather than a spokeswoman for the health ministry and the interior minister - a mistake which I did admit to.Michael

The original source was unnamed. The official you refer to merely stated that he "heard" from several other unnamed people that the story is true. Are you saying you took that to be the identification of a source? Seriously?
  • Michael
    The original source was unnamed. The official you refer to merely stated that he "heard" from several other unnamed people that the story is true. Are you saying you took that to be the identification of a source? Seriously?frank

Maybe you should go back and read the actual exchange again. I asked NOS4A2 if I should believe CureVac who are denying the story or if I should believe the health minister1 who is confirming the story. He then told me that I shouldn't believe unidentified sources. Except I'm not suggesting that I might believe an unidentified source. I'm suggesting that I might believe the health minister1.

1 Actually the interior minister and a spokeswoman for the health ministry.
  • frank
    The health minister can and did confirm that the story is a bona fide rumor.

When I first saw the story, it caught my attention that the source was unnamed. That did impact my assessment of the story. It should have done the same for you.

This is my strategy: when in doubt, remain in doubt. Don't budge from doubt without good information unless you're in the basement of the Enterprise and Captain Kirk is demanding that you fix the engine without knowing how. Then you jump to conclusions and go to it.

I don't see that you had any reason to budge from doubt here. But you did. Fine. When called on it, you should have said:

"That's true. The original source was unnamed, and that's a tad suspicious."

End of story. See how that works?
  • Michael
    You seem to have a hard time understanding what I'm saying.

There was a news article from a German paper that referred to an unnamed source. A spokeswoman for the health ministry and the interior minister confirmed the story. CureVac denied the story. I'm asking if I should believe the government officials who confirmed the story or if I should belive CureVac who denied the story. Whether or not the original news article referred to an unnamed source is irrelevant at this point given the confirmation by identified individuals (individuals who, given their government roles, are presumably in a position to know the facts).
  • frank
    Whether or not the original news article referred to an unnamed source is irrelevant at this point given the confirmation by identified individuals.Michael

I'm totally ready to stand corrected here. I didn't see where the story was confirmed by anyone else. That the story is being talked about: that was confirmed.

Help me out. Name the person who actually has knowledge of the facts and did confirm the story.
  • Michael
    I'm totally ready to stand corrected here. I didn't see where the story was confirmed by anyone else. That the story is being talked about: that was confirmed.

Help me out. Name the person who actually has knowledge of the facts and did confirm the story.
    frank

I did that here which was the comment you responded to.

Germany’s Health Ministry confirmed a report in newspaper Welt am Sonntag, which said President Donald Trump had offered funds to lure the company CureVac to the United States, and the German government was making counter-offers to tempt it to stay.

Contacted by Reuters, a spokeswoman for the German Health Ministry said: “We confirm the report in the Welt am Sonntag.

Interior Minister Horst Seehofer, when asked to confirm a report the Trump administration was attempting to secure exclusive rights to any vaccine created by the German biopharmaceutical firm CureVac, said he had “heard from several other members of government today that is the case.
  • frank

Contacted by Reuters, a spokeswoman for the German Health Ministry said: “We confirm the report in the Welt am Sonntag.

Again: there's no name.

Interior Minister Horst Seehofer, when asked to confirm a report the Trump administration was attempting to secure exclusive rights to any vaccine created by the German biopharmaceutical firm CureVac, said he had “heard from several other members of government today that is the case.

This person is named, but can't confirm anything other than that the story is being talked about.

So you did it again. You continue to obscure the fact that there is no named source in the article.
  • Sir2u
    Dude, disaster in the works.

Some have apparently hoarded toilet paper, we grabbed some coffee, but is it enough?
    jorndoe

I have plenty of food as well, just not sure how important that is. The booze comes from outside the country and the borders are closed. The food comes from mostly local produce, and they are letting those people continue working still.

Why the hell does anyone need to 50 toilet rolls? Have there been cases of the virus making people crap more than normal?
  • Gregory
    Apparently the old and weak run this country. That's got to change. I'm not concerned about the lives of those who only have ten years max to live anyway. If the virus is going to get so many sick it quaratines the country, so be it. Why quarantine beforehand. Nobody under 40 should be in government. We are run by stinky old people's farts
  • Michael
    Again: there's no name.frank

There's a difference between not being named and not being identified. A spokeswoman for the health ministry confirmed the report. Her name isn't relevant. FYI there's a difference between "a spokeswoman for the health ministry confirmed the report" and "an anonymous source in the health ministry confirmed the report".

The person who posted the denial on CureVac's Twitter account also wasn't named. But that doesn't matter, does it?

This person is named, but can't confirm anything other than that the story is being talked about.frank

You've interpreted his words very differently to me. I understand him as saying "I have heard from several other members of government today that [the Trump administration was attempting to secure exclusive rights to any vaccine]."

So you did it again. You continue to obscure the fact that there is no named source in the article.frank

And again you're not understanding what I'm saying. A spokeswoman for the health ministry and the interior minister has confirmed the story. Should I believe them or should I believe CureVac (or more accurately, the CureVac Twitter account). There's no "unidentified source" being considered in my question.
  • frank
    There's a difference between not being named and not being identified. A spokeswoman for the health ministry confirmed the report. Her name isn't relevant. FYI there's a difference between "a spokeswoman for the health ministry confirmed the report" and "an anonymous source in the health ministry confirmed the report".Michael

Since any number of people can act as spokesperson for the health ministry, the person is unidentified. The fact that they aren't named tells you this:

The poor Reuters guy is trying to get somebody to go on record for this story and can't find anybody. He gets somebody from the Health Ministry who says the story is true, but when he asks if he can name her, she says, "No."

We can ponder on a while what it means when no one will go on record. We can discuss how to best approach news stories that give no source, and about how reporters have been known to go to jail to protect their sources and so on. But this is the vein of irrelevance here.

Nos, our resident bullshit-spreader said the story does not identify a source.

This is correct, Michael. Whatever confusions you may have experienced then or now, it's correct.

You then denied it twice. You claimed that a source was given.

You were wrong. You are the bullshit-spreader in this situation. As far as I can see, this situation will remain as it is.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.