• Stephany Rolim
    Hello, friends!

I have asked here before some questions about Heidegger, and I would like to hear your opinions about mixing two authors such as Etienne Gilson and Heidegger. They both talk about being and existence, but the thing is, that I am trying to use Etienne Gilson's concept about being and existence, because I find his approach of the matter more qualified to my research, although I feel the need to use Heidegger to talk about his concept of "throwness", wich I couldn't find in any other author. The thing is, Etienne Gilson is known for his critical views about Heidegger, so is there a a problem in doing a research putting such authors together?

I deeply appreciate all the help!
  • tim wood
    The thing is, Etienne Gilson is known for his critical views about Heidegger, so is there a a problem in doing a research putting such authors together?Stephany Rolim

It's called compare and contrast, and I'd read it! You've grabbed a tiger by the tail, or a wolf by the ears, but can you let go? I vote go for it, and do a great job!
  • JerseyFlight

I don't find it strange that philosophy, after the tragic advent of its analytical form, has moved in the direction of Heidegger's mysticism. This is the logical step, given the empty formalism of analytical philosophy, but it is a step in the wrong direction for the species. More wasted time, more wasted lives.
  • Gregory

1) cite a Heidegger passage that is mystical please

2) why isn't Hegel's belief that every thing is really an Idea suspended in nothingness less mystical
  • Gregory

Hi. Gilson was a strict traditional Catholic, while Heidegger had rejected that faith. Heidegger was an apostate in Gilson's eyes. "There is no salvation outside the Church" Catholics use to say
  • Stephany Rolim
    Thank you very much! I do appreciate all the help. This phorum have been very helpfull to me, and also very encouraging.
  • Ciceronianus
    Etienne Gilson is known for his critical views about HeideggerStephany Rolim

Someone is critical of Heidegger? You astonish me. I hope the criticism isn't based on the fact he was an unapologetic Nazi and virulent anti-Semite.
  • JerseyFlight
    cite a Heidegger passage that is mystical pleaseGregory

This is totally valid and deserves a reply, I just haven't had time to get to it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.