• Raul
    With all my respect to all the good that is within all religions, taking one example quoted from what an islamic person answers to this question:

Allah s.w.t. created everything and that includes our souls, the form of ourselves which is our identity that transcend through each life including this life of dunya (worldly life). Our souls pre-resided in a place called alamulmarwa (the universe of the souls), before being sent into the wombs of our mothers with only one memory, which is the knowledge we have of our creator.
    Here's a brief list of our souls' journey:

The Universe Of The Souls/'alam al-marwa(approx. in multitudes of 100k years)
    The womb of our mothers(approx. 9 months)
    The Worldly Life / Ad-Dunya (approx. 60 years in the modern age)
    The Grave / Al-Barzakh (approx. in a few hours or hundreds of years)
    The Resurrection / Yaum al-Qiyamah (approx. 3,000 to 50,000 years)
    Akhirah / Hereafter / Heaven or Hell (infinite)

As I don't remember anything from my previous life, does this mean that memory is not important, it is contingent or arbitrary or, as per Blade Runner, deeply manipulated?
    I remember growing up, though, and my childhood. Of course religions solve these evident problems of accepting the existence of a soul but what do you think? Is religion still satisfactory for you on this matter?
  • Sir2u
    Is religion still satisfactory for you on this matter?Raul

I don't have much faith in the existence of souls, but it would make sense if all of the memories were available in between each reincarnation. But that appears to be something that no religion that believes in reincarnation has taken into account.

How advanced would humanity be today if people were really reincarnated with the memories intact, the good guys at least.
  • Raul
    Aside from the pertinence of religions to answer the question, would you agree that depending on how "you" is defined and understood the question itself dissolves and loses all the sense?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.