• Prishon
    Now the problem is: why doesnt my smiley smile? :smile:
  • Dante
    But what if this physical process has no content? No magical content?Prishon

Without magic life becomes a lot harsher and less desirable I suppose. Believing in such things is great for the individual in healthy doses. Faith for example empowers so many, so who are we to discredit the potency of their convictions?

I always wished that I subscribed to ideas that make my life easier and more comfortable, but the sciences aren’t always here to make life easier, just more honest.
  • Prishon
    I forgot one space...
  • Prishon
    I layed in bed for years in my whole life. The depression is now gone forever, I hope...
  • Dante
    Now the problem is: why doesnt my smiley smile?Prishon

I would say that in essence it does smile. A smile is a curved line, can be expressed (not intentionally) by many things, including an emoticon or a waveform.
  • Dante
    I layed in bed for years in my whole life. The depression is now gone forever, I hope...Prishon

What alleviated the depression for you?
  • Prishon
    Are you still jumped by it?
  • Dante
    Are you still jumped by it?Prishon

The depression? Yeah, it’s pretty persistent. Only reading reduces its severity.
  • Prishon
    depressionDante

Are you still jumped by it?
  • Prishon
    persistentDante

Let me pause for reflection for a second!
  • Prishon
    I mean before answering. Im not implying you bother me!
  • Dante
    I mean before answering. Im not implying you bother me!Prishon

No worries, I didn’t infer that :)
  • Prishon
    The depression? Yeah, it’s pretty persistent. Only reading reduces its severity.Dante

I know the feeling! Terrible! What kept me going was the thought that it *hd* to go away some day. But time moved so slowly! Thoughts popped up about my past. About who I was as a kid. Sometimes shocking. All kinds of thoughts. Including how to kill myself. But then ALL would be gone (although I am certain about reincarnation there is something withholding me from suicide; every shitty feeling is gone indeed but also the potential to get relieve). I took heroin, and other stuff. Like oxazepam, from which I was " cured" last year because my supplier died and I didnt have the keenness to buy it on the net. Luckily, because I dont need it now anymore. Though physicalky I wanna take one... I didnt sleep 4 months!!! Four months! Now Im physically recovering. I take a dose of methadone each day. But that doesnt take away a depression itself. It only keeps it down and the beasts roars the more if wakened. But its gone now! It just did. Maybe because I have a clear worldview now. Do you have one? A clear wirldview?
  • TheMadFool
    You could do this. The probe being questions.Prishon

Yes, one way would be that but I was gunning for something a little bit more sophisticated than sitting somebody down and asking fae to answer a barrage of questions. You know, the mind probe has to be a rather complex but not necessarily a complicated thing, it should have on board the latest "equipment" available in the fields of consciousness, memory, psychology. My wild ideas. Pay no attention!
  • Dante
    Maybe because I have a clear worldview now. Do you have one? A clear wirldview?Prishon

I have a very clear worldview, I’ve recorded many of my postulations and theories as well as the initial foundations that enabled them. But my worldview isn’t something I admire, it’s fairly realistic and doesn’t offer much in the ways of positivity.
  • Prishon
    You know, the mind probe has to be a rather complex but not necessarily complicated thing, it should have on board the latest "equipment" available in the fields of consciousness, memory, psychology. My wild ideas. Pay no attention!TheMadFool

I DO pay attention. My inner space has been probed by your comment... I can refine the probe (Im not sure if you mean a physical probe; but I dont assume) by refining my questions over and over again, like I can refine my questions to external Nature. The latter can involve sophisticated experimental set-ups. That can also be the case for exploring the internal Nature. Or in exploring you, being the one between the internal world and the outside one.
  • Prishon
    it’s fairly realistic and doesn’t offer much in the ways of positivity.Dante

Why is that? What in that view makes it negative? The reality of people being MF's?
  • Dante
    What in that view makes it negative?Prishon

My thoughts on death in particular frustrate me to no end because I’d prefer non existence to be eternal and peaceful, but I can’t see this being the case given that I even surfaced in the first place.
  • TheMadFool
    I DO pay attention. My inner space has been probed by your comment... I can refine the probe (Im not sure if you mean a physical probe; but I dont assume) by refining my questions over and over again, like I can refine my questions to external Nature. The latter can involve sophisticated experimental set-ups. That can also be the case for exploring the internal Nature. Or in exploring you, being the one between the internal world and the outside onePrishon

:ok:
  • Prishon
    My thoughts on death in particular frustrate me to no end because I’d prefer non existence to be eternal and peaceful, but I can’t see this being the case given that I even surfaced in the first place.Dante

You think you will resurface after death?
  • Dante
    You think you will resurface after death?Prishon

No, of course not. I just think I’ll be replaced.
  • Prishon
    No, of course not. I just think I’ll be replaced.Dante

Then whats the worry? We are all replaced by other people. In 100 years from now there will not a single person be alive that lives now.
  • Dante
    In 100 years from now there will not a single person be alive that lives now.Prishon

I understand this fact, certainly. But I live vicariously through those that will surface and that bothers me greatly, for surely there is much suffering in life.
  • Prishon
    But I live vicariously through those that will surfaceDante

Im not sure I understand. It cant be reincarnation. How can you live vicariously through (?) those surfacing (after you are dead?)?
  • Dante
    How can you live vicariously through (?) those surfacing (after you are dead?)?Prishon

Because they will be the cynosure of their own existence, as I was. I feel that the line between self and all other is very blurred.
  • theRiddler
    Of course there permeates an eternal now but the human mind is divided into portions of time for the sake of its own sense of continuity. There is only change as a constant and time need not always be considered an appropriate axis.

Oddly, I have been present for three years and have long discarded a continuum as an actuality. But that is a conversation for another time.

Sorry, the button for "reply" is too small on my screen.

There could be infinite, separate dimensions of time, all moving in discrete directions.

That's what I believe, but the simple fact is we just don't know. But to speak of "endings" and "beginnings" as though they are the sole means of imagining reality would be disingenuous.
  • Dante
    That's what I believe, but the simple fact is we just don't know. But to speak of "endings" and "beginnings" as though they are the sole means of imagining reality would be disingenuous.theRiddler

I agree with this sentiment. I perceive time to be so much more than an additional dimension of space. Science encourages us to search for answers so that we can design more accurate questions.

I fear that our understanding of time is not only limited but limits our understanding of reality.

To transcend time is my ultimate goal.
  • Prishon
    There could be infinite, separate dimensions of time, all moving in discrete directions.theRiddler

Hawking invented imaginary time. The implications of multiple time dimensions have been probed. The block universe exists with the whole time axis present at the same time. Entropic time considers intervals of time only. Then there is the subjective experience of time. There is a neverending now. I dont live in other people. Everyone has their own cynosure. But how to transcend time? Everything becomes one in that case. How to achieve this? Even a baby isnt in this state.
  • Dante
    I expect death may answer that riddle for me.
  • theRiddler
    People transcend time all the time. Just watch a movie. You'll witness people who have been dead for generations still believing they're real. ; )
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.