• Robotictac
    I have the itchy feeling we live in a modern, highly sophisticated and refined panopticon. Science and technology support its construction, maintenance, and future furthering and developments.

Is my feeling justified?
  • 180 Proof
    Aka the internet. Cyber-gnosis (i.e. "The Matrix").
  • Bartricks
    Yes. This is a prison. You are living in ignorance in a dangerous world. God exists. God wouldn't subject innocent people to a life of ignorance in a dangerous world. Thus you are not innocent. There is no other reasonable conclusion
  • Robotictac
    God wouldn't subject innocent people to a life of ignorance in a dangerous world.Bartricks

Is this why he made Eve bite the apple?
  • Outlander

Sure there is. Challenge mode, extra hard level on a video game. Just look at ski slopes. Color coded for convenience even. Where would the fun be in knowing you were placed there by choice. That leaves an easy exit as a non-option.. which is part of the difficulty, and hence, the fun.

Prison, requested obstacle course, when ignorance allows either of the two to be equally viable.. what you choose says more about you than the environment and/or circumstances that placed you in it now doesn't it?
  • Bartricks
    Er, what? What are you on about?
  • Bartricks
    What? What was that?

If the purpose was to give you fun, the world would contain more of it. It'd be nothing but fun. He's omnipotent. Look it up.
  • Robotictac

After she bit the apple, her innocence was gone. She knew!
  • Bartricks
    how does that have anything to do with what I said? Why are you talking about the bible? Did I mention it? I haven't read it and don't care what it says.
    Reasoned reflection reveals we are in a prison.
  • Robotictac

You said nobody is innocent.
  • Robotictac

You said that knowing makes guilty.
  • Bartricks
    What? Where? Quote me
    (And answer my question - why are you talking about the bible when I never mentioned it?)
  • Robotictac
    God wouldn't subject innocent people to a life of ignorance in a dangerous world. Thus you are not innocent. There is no other reasonable conclusionBartricks
  • Bartricks
    That quote doesn't say that "knowing makes guilty" (whatever that means).

Read it carefully. It's an argument.

1: If God exists, God would not allow innocent persons to live in ignorance in a dangerous world.
    2: God exists
    3. therefore God has not allowed innocent persons to live in a dangerous world.
    4. We are living in ignorance in a dangerous world
    5. Therefore we are not innocent
  • Robotictac

So therefore we are guilty. But of what? Of knowing?
  • Bartricks
    I don't know. Something. It's beside the point.
    Let's say you find yourself in a bed, all bandaged up and hooked up to various monitors. There are also others around you in a similar situation. Well, it is reasonable to infer that you are in hospital and that you suffered a major health incident. You don't have to know specifically what.
    Likewise: we can reasonably infer that we are in a prison. One does not have to know for what.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.