• Shawn
    As a child I grew up knowing that school was something very mundane and standardized according to the norm. As some of you may know, the average IQ is usually 100. A doctor or lawyer will have 120 IQ. The higher your IQ the closer you are at attaining a label such as 'gifted' or 'genius'. The quotient of 'genius' begins at 140.

When I was about 15, I scored the ceiling on most abstract tests that my father took me to. That was around 160 IQ. In my adult years I took some heavy g weighted tests and scored pretty low. All I know is that I score the maximum on cognitive complexity and abstract measures of intelligence, with some fMRI scans indicating very efficient neural networks for intelligence. But, due to lack of interest in knowledge in my youth I remained very low on the g factor describing memory and knowledge. I don't memorize things easily and I have to spend time utilizing the Loci method or chunking or other tools at memorizing information. I have pretty much specialized all my interests in philosophy, mostly.

I have a question about my situation and whether anyone relates to it? My IQ is very high for hallmark features of superior IQ, and yet my memory of what symbolic representations by numbers or associative memory of analogous reasoning fall short. What should I do about this?

I plan on applying to a 160+ IQ group, called Promethean Society to chat with more people for intellectual stimulation and such. Are there any high IQ people on this forum and what would you have to say about my situation? I enjoy reading journals of high IQ groups like the Mega Society, called Noesis.

Thanks and regards.
  • I like sushi
    What should I do about this?Shawn

Take up some form of art.
  • Nils Loc

Try to persuade your farmer/owner not to turn you into bacon to buy more time. I'm sure they'll spot an exceptionally bright pig with the help of some other high IQ animal who can spell words.
  • Tom Storm
    A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
  • Wheatley
    Any high IQ people here?Shawn
    I'm actually very dumb because I guessed all the questions on the IQ test. As a result, I have a very low IQ. :cry:
  • praxis

Me no understand question.
  • Shawn
    Idk, it's kind of strange that when you look at philosophy, you definitely encounter something of a unconscious urge to get smarter.

Would Plato have still produced his works with an average IQ?

I wonder, because the counterfactual almost doesn't obtain when you reduce their IQ's.
  • James Riley
    Me no understand question.praxis

Mongo just pawn in game of life.
  • Wheatley
    You can actually practice IQ tests to get better at them.
  • praxis

Long live the pawns!
  • Janus
    I scored very high on IQ tests in school and I didn't even really try; parents were told near genius. I've done online tests and scored between 140- 160. I came second last in the year in the higher school certificate exam (spent half of year 11 and all of year 12 experimenting with LSD and Psylocibin).

I don't set much store in IQ tests though. Someone said "intelligence is the ability to grasp complex relations". That says nothing about the speed required by IQ tests, and it also obviously requires a good memory. The other important thing about intelligence that IQ tests cannot measure is the ability to see what's salient and having a good imagination.
  • Manuel
    I suggest you take a look a Chris Langan's "CTMU Theory". The highest IQ in the world, or at least in the US.

It's quite remarkable.
  • Wheatley
    Would Plato have still produced his works with an average IQ?Shawn
    Idk, the theory of forms seems abstract.
  • hanaH
    You can actually practice IQ tests to get better at them.Wheatley

Which, incidentally, doesn't increase my regard for IQ tests.
  • Shawn

Yeah, I notice you usually post interesting things about anything philosophy related.

Hmm, LSD and psilocybin, I tried microdosing LSD at college, and it definitely pushes you in 'some' direction to try harder or encourages some kind of creativity in effort towards aims and goals. I also took Psilocybin after college to reduce anger in my life. I'm pretty sure it helped with that.

I'm not sure how much of IQ is navel gazing or just ego inflation. I tend to think that the cult of individualism comes off as inflated in human civilization. Yet, it seems true that Newton, Spinoza, Shakespeare, and Aristotle had very high IQ's.
  • Shawn
    I suggest you take a look a Chris Langan's "CTMU Theory". The highest IQ in the world, or at least in the US.

It's quite remarkable.
    Manuel

Ah, I haven't spent too much time reading it; but, I think I might look into it.

What are your thoughts about it?
  • Janus
    Yet, it seems true that Newton, Spinoza, Shakespeare, and Aristotle had very high IQ's.Shawn

That is probably true, although we cannot get them to do a test. I have read that Einstein's IQ was "only" about 160, but I don't know if he was tested or if it is an estimate. I remember when I was a kid I read a book that estimated the IQs of some of the greats. From memory (take the precision of the actual figures with a grain of salt, but I think my memory of the order is right), I think they scored da Vinci at 170. Goethe at 190 and Leibniz at 210.
  • Manuel

I can't make heads or tails of it.

I suspect that part of the problem might be that he thinks himself so smart, he gets lost in jargon. He seems to mix theology with physics and argues that the universe is a language and that he has developed a metatautological system which can't be refuted.

So...
  • Wheatley
    Which, incidentally, doesn't increase my regard for IQ tests.hanaH
    According to Wiki: Psychometricians generally regard IQ tests as having high statistical reliability.(link)
  • Wheatley
    I suggest you take a look a Chris Langan's "CTMU Theory".Manuel
    There's a very interesting Quora page on "CTMU".

https://www.quora.com/What-do-scientists-think-of-Chris-Langans-CTMU
  • Manuel

:up:

Thanks for sharing, will check it out.
  • Wheatley
    The Man With The World’s Highest IQ, Christopher Langan, Is Gaining A Following On The Far Right
    https://forward.com/news/breaking-news/421234/christopher-langan-alt-right/
  • Shawn
    That is probably true, although we cannot get them to do a test. I have read that Einstein's IQ was "only" about 160, but I don't know if he was tested or if it is an estimate.Janus

Yes, that's what I heard also. He actually is often quoted with saying that the cult of individualism is so highly regarded that he found it close to or actually grotesque.

Similarly, Newton stated he was peering through the shoulders of giants before him in his own discoveries.

Have you heard of John Von Neumann?
  • hanaH

Thanks!

Psychometricians generally regard IQ tests as having high statistical reliability.[14][82] Reliability represents the measurement consistency of a test.[83] A reliable test produces similar scores upon repetition.[83]

I'm not surprised by this at all. Note that this does not say that they are reliable indicators of other kinds of ability.

I will say this: intuitively, a person incapable of complex work in the real world is probably incapable of scoring well on an IQ test. It's also intuitively plausible that those who do well on an IQ test are more likely to be able to handle complex real-world tasks.

That said, is it not strange to fetishize tests that merely suggest the possibility of achievement as opposed to the achievement itself? Such tests seems like a cost-effective hack to me. It's cheaper to print 500 copies of a sequence of pattern games and crunch some stats than to give children opportunities to development and demonstrate their intelligence in more realistic ways.
  • hanaH
    I have read that Einstein's IQ was "only" about 160, but I don't know if he was tested or if it is an estimate.Janus

I did a quick calculation. An IQ of 160 indicates that one scored better than about 97.72% of fellow test takers. This means that that roughly 2.28% of test takers score better than a 160 IQ.

EDIT: I mistakenly used SD = 30 as opposed to SD=15 in the calculation above. An IQ of 160 is very much in the top percentile.

In my opinion, a percentile score would be more informative and less misleading. It's not hard to do the conversion (https://onlinestatbook.com/2/calculators/normal_dist.html), but why not just percentiles to begin with? Or would that be too demystifying?
  • Wheatley
    I'm not surprised by this at all. Note that this does not say that they are reliable indicators of other kinds of ability.hanaH
    There's a famous book called The Bell Curve that argues all sorts of connections between IQ and abilities. The book has long since attracted a ton of criticism because it links race and IQ.

I will say this: intuitively, a person incapable of complex work in the real world is probably incapable of scoring well on an IQ test. It's also intuitively plausible that those who do well on an IQ test are more likely to be able to handle such complex tasks.hanaH
    I agree. Some people are smarter than other. Just a fact of life.

That said, is it not strange to fetishize tests that merely suggest the possibility of achievement as opposed to the achievement itself?hanaH
    I don't think it was meant for vanity. There's a horrible history of people misusing the IQ test (racism, eugenics). The test was originally used to help school children. I like what Steven Hawking said “People who boast about their I.Q. are losers.”
  • Janus
    I've always felt it's counterintuitive that one person in fifty would have a genius level IQ.
  • Janus
    :up:

Have you heard of John Von Neumann?Shawn

I have, but I know little about him. I think I have a book by or about him somewhere on my shelves, but I haven't read it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment