• TiredThinker
    Some say if we lived forever even in perfect health that it would eventually be meaningless. A certain emphasis on doing the same things repeatedly? But aren't there enough unique things to keep us entertained for all of time until life is no longer possible? I assume our brains emphasize first impressions as templates to base all future experiences on for our safety. Like encountering a Scorpion or fire or extreme cold? But if we weren't threatened by mortal concerns couldn't most memories somewhat treat even the humdrum as unique and miraculous?
  • L'éléphant
    Some say if we lived forever even in perfect health that it would eventually be meaningless.TiredThinker
    Meaningless in what way? Is living all about meaning? Whatever happened to getting out of bed, getting ready for work, and coming back home and having a nice meal? Funny because if there's anything in life that gets such a high demand, it is this thing called meaning. Big deal!

Many people have a propensity to waste an enormous amount of time with the limited lifespan we have at the moment. If you give these people the eternity to live, they'd be just as happy to stay put and not be productive.

Honestly I really don't get this requirement for meaning. I don't search for meaning in life. I just live it. If I get to live forever, then, I'd live forever and go about my business. Heck, I'd plant bristlecone pine that can live to 5,000 years. I'd also start planting coral reefs -- which takes many thousand of years to line the tropics.
  • 180 Proof
    "Boredom" has to be experienced less intensely, or negatively, by an "immortal" without existential urgency than by a mortal with existential urgency. Also, this .
  • TiredThinker
    Boredom can be a friend also. It offers better directions sometimes. Shorter term priorities.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.