• Olivier5
    Can we avoid reproducing blatant lies from FAUX News here? Please? It's the Pravda in English. It's like spreading feces all over TPF. Have some decency. Thank you.
  • Olivier5
    Thank you for this excellent video. I checked the main bit: that the black sea around Crimea has much hydrocarbon resources, and it it true. Therefore it does stand to reason that Russia is trying to stop Ukraine from becoming a competitor in the oil and gaz trade to Europe.

Had Ukraine been allowed to replace Russia as the main gaz supplier of Europe, Russia would have lost a humongous revenue, which they use to build their army...
  • Isaac

I agree with here. You do need to track your sources back a little further

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/28/1083401220/facebook-uncovers-disinformation-and-hacking-campaigns-targeting-ukraine?t=1646811637713

Unless we're going to start speculating about deep conspiracies, those accounts were fakes and so deserved to be taken down. There's enough real information. We don't need to fake it.

You could, for example, try this, from an award-winning investigative journalist

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/war-propaganda-about-ukraine-becoming?s=r
  • Isaac
    Crimea has much hydrocarbon resources, and it it true. Therefore it does stand to reason that Russia is trying to stop Ukraine from becoming a competitor in the oil and gaz trade to Europe.

Had Ukraine been allowed to replace Russia as the main gaz supplier of Europe, Russia would have lost a humongous revenue, which they use to build their army...
    Olivier5

Yeah, because only Russia are interested in hydrocarbon resources. The rest of the work have a very much more 'take it or leave it' attitude.
  • Christoffer
    I am curious as to how you view the Battle of France.FreeEmotion

How do you continue to fight when you are defeated? Ukraine isn't defeated yet.
  • Streetlight
    Yeah, because only Russia are interested in hydrocarbon resources.Isaac

Yeah, haven't you heard? The West has never started genocidal wars for resources and are totally disinterested goodies fighting the Russian baddies.
  • ssu
    Interesting development. Reasons why Belarus hasn't participated in the fucked up invasion of Ukraine. And worrying signs it might...if generals have to resign:

Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Belarus Viktor Gulevich had abruptly resigned from his position, lodging protest against his country’s support to the Russian invasion. In the letter, Belarus’ General Staff of the Armed Forces stated that the personnel of military units in Minsk were “massively refusing to take part in hostilities and the Armed Forces are unable to complete a single battalion group. “

Viktor-Gulevich-Belarus-Russia-Ukraine-Putin-Zelensky-KOKO-TV-Nigeria-.jpeg

Such low morale is obvious. Many Belarussians have feared that Russia might take over their country and basically many are now anticipating that Belarus has become an extension of the Russian state when their local dictator Lukashenko is so highly unpopular among the people.
  • Olivier5
    What about your whataboutism?
  • Olivier5

Haven't you heard? This is not a thread about the West, nor about who is the worse baddy.

In any case, I am the worse baddy. Worse than Putin and Trump combined. Now that's settled!...

But to understand Russia's motivation is important in order to better counter them, just as understanding the US motivation in Iraq was important to better counter them.
  • Olivier5
    I agree with ↪Olivier5 here.Isaac

I hope that wasn't too painful. :-)
  • Isaac
    The West has never started genocidal wars for resources and are totally disinterested goodies fighting the Russan baddies.StreetlightX

Indeed, I heard they already have the plans showing the weak spot in Putin's death star and just need to deactivate the force field...

Oh, hang on, am I getting the plots mixed up...
  • Isaac
    I hope that wasn't too painful.Olivier5

Like a needle in the eye, but hey...
  • Olivier5
    It's to take out the log you got in there.
  • ssu
    Putin's social contract was to deliver stability, relative prosperity, and a sense of national pride (at the expense of freedom and much else). He has tried to compensate for the gradual loss of the former by doubling down on the latter. Crimea was a major coup for him, but that has since evaporated, partly due to the sanctions. And now, in the space of just a couple of weeks, he has ruined it all. Lies about the NATO threat and the dastardly Neo-Nazis can only go so far, and the economy will soon be in ruins. So what does he have left? He will have to reformat the arrangement. His only chance to stay in power and secure a lasting legacy is to fashion himself into a new Stalin, if he can. Which is to say, terrorize the population into awe and submission. And that will go double for the occupied Ukraine. Soviet-era persecutions of "Ukrainian nationalists" come to mind...SophistiCat

I think this is the likely thing that will happen. The denials of there being no marshal law have now been said so many times from the Russian regime, that something like it will likely happen. The little, but steady stream of Russians fleeing Russia shows that they are anticipating the next phase of the Sovietizing of Russia: that the borders will close. Putin now has a large conflict, he now has the hostility of the West and he now can argue that all the ways he will try to crush any opposition against him will be done in the cause to defend Russia from foreign threats.
  • Olivier5
    Of course, the petro-connection also implies that Ukraine (and Europe) needs Crimea back. Ukraine without Crimea is not nearly as useful if the idea is to break Russia's dominant position as an exporter of gaz to Europe.
  • Streetlight
    This is not a thread about the West,Olivier5

Indeed. It is a thread about Ukraine, in which the West has been involved in for decades.
  • EugeneW
    When Russia bombed Aleppo it was tolerated. It was fighting IS. Now the great system of western free democracy is fought against. He attacks our modern system of slavery and the possessing capitalist class, holding both hemispheres in a firm grip. A system propagating endless wars, poverty, cultural destruction, and stabbing nature in the back. Monitoring property, while keeping out poverty and economic refugees. But refugees from Ukrain, hey they're welcome! Our system is great and caring! Give them shelter right away! What hypocrit propaganda talk! And the poor homeless got this winter no place to sleep. Thousand Ukrain women crying on TV. Never saw so many crying women on TV yet (or men, for that matter). We can show how good we are by donating goods or shelter. Of course it's f*****g s**t if there is a threat of war and your house can get a bomb on it. But Putin in power, Biden in power, or that French piece of smelly cheese in power, we are fucked by the system, be it chosen "freely" in elections or forced on you (free to choose by whom you get fucked, while in Russia you just get fucked). All that glorification of the free western democracy... no... Iraq was brought live during breakfast. Great war for freedom. There is not one image shown now. Bad war. Bad Putin. Does he wanna join the Tsars? Does he want to join Stalin in hell, walhalla, or the elysian fields? As usual, the common people are fucked. What's the difference between living your life in Ukrain or Russia? People are warned before bombing. By the whistling of the bombs. I have read that Afro-Ukrainians are discriminated when fleeing. Ultra-right nationalists help the Ukrain army. Taking advantage of the situation, showing how much they care for the (Kaukasian) people. The new enemy. Russians. Russian musea close. IKEA, Nike, McDonald's, and other corporations withdraw, afraid of profits going down by boycot. What mass hysteria. Russian folks attacked. Ukrainian people attacked.
    How civilized we are! All conflict should be resolved with words. We shouldn't involve in fighting. Yet there are tons of weapons. Even laws of war...

Putin:
    мама возьми мою грудь
    пойдем домой!
    mama voz'mi moyu grud'
    poydem domoy!
  • Olivier5
    Right now I think Russians are meddling in internal Ukrainian affairs far more than your "West".
  • Olivier5
    that French piece of smelly cheese in power,EugeneW

You've been reported for racism.
  • Streetlight
    Indeed. Luckily, unlike magpies who get distracted by the latest shiny thing, most normal people can discuss context, wider significance, and long term implications and trajectories.
  • Olivier5
    So when do you plan to start, Mr Magpie?
  • Streetlight
    Probably when there's something to say other than cliche at this point.
  • Olivier5
    So you have nothing to say at the moment other than clichés. Did that ever stop you before?
  • FreeEmotion

You mean FOX news? I provided a link to a show on an American cable news channel, FOX news, and I am sorry if it offended anybody. It is supposed to be very popular in the United States. Let's see if it going to be banned like RT and Sputnik.

For the record:

Fox News controversies have included, among others, practicing biased reporting in favor of the Republican Party, its politicians, and conservative causes,[19][20][21] while portraying the Democratic Party in a negative light. — Wikipedia, Fox News

Fox News controversies have included, among others, practicing biased reporting in favor of the Republican Party, its politicians, and conservative causes,[19][20][21] while portraying the Democratic Party in a negative light. — Wikipedia
  • FreeEmotion
    How do you continue to fight when you are defeated? Ukraine isn't defeated yet.Christoffer

Then you will have to define 'defeated'.
  • Christoffer
    Then you will have to define 'defeated'.FreeEmotion

It's in your own quote

The sixty remaining French divisions and the two British divisions in France made a determined stand on the Somme and Aisne but were defeated by the German combination of air superiority and armoured mobility. — Wikipedia
  • Count Timothy von Icarus
    It's absolutely hilarious to see what this is doing to the far right corners of the internet. While they have been very good at rapidly producing a favorable spin on every news story, one that falls into the mold of their manichean world view, this genuinely seems like it might be deradicalizing people because of the contradictions involved.

Essentially, as best I can see the narrative in the chatter:

The Jewish-led (i.e., evil for them) Ukrainian Neo-Nazi (a good thing for them) government is leading Ukrainians, who are actually just the same ethnicity as Russians, to ethically cleanse their fellow Russians for being Russians. The Jewish led Neo-Nazis are doing this with the help of their now pro-Nazi radical woke BLM trans rights activist funders in the West. They are also backed by pro-Jewish radical Islamist jihadis (this las line comes from a handful of unconfirmed reports of small numbers of Central Asian mujahideen coming to fight for Ukraine, but makes sense in the context of "ISIS being funded by the Clintons," etc.)

Putin, (often referred to only half ironically as "based Putin, savior of the White race,") is saving and liberating the Ukrainians, who are actually Russians, but who have been killing Russians for not being Ukrainian.

He is doing so with the help of Chechen shock troops known for war crimes, and now, apparently Syrian irregulars. Thus, he is saving Europe from the ongoing Muslim migrant murder mayhem invasion of the West by sending the first Muslim army to invade Europe north of the Balkans in centuries.

Europe needs to learn to be strong and resist invasions
    (migration). Ukraine needs to stop resisting this invasion, it's going to get people hurt.

Putin's righteous denazificafation
    (denazificafation is bad) efforts to defeat "Globalhomo" (yes, this is really the new popular term for the evil elite kabal that runs the world...) won't be hurt by Western sanctions because he has the support of the Chinese Communist Party, who are helping him save the world and thwart the plans of the Globalhomo Democrats, who are actually just puppets of the Chinese Communist Party (so, China is fighting itself now). Plus, the whole time the invasion was actually about Fauci's bioweapons labs in Ukraine and evidence of Biden's pedophilia, which are in Kyiv. The God Emperor (based Trump himself) was impeached over his efforts to get Zelensky to turn these over.

At a certain point, the contradictions, liberal backed Jewish Neo-Nazis, an ethnicity ethnically cleansing itself, etc. collapse under their own weight.
  • FreeEmotion

↪FreeEmotion

I agree with ↪Olivier5 here. You do need to track your sources back a little further

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/28/1083401220/facebook-uncovers-disinformation-and-hacking-campaigns-targeting-ukraine?t=1646811637713

Unless we're going to start speculating about deep conspiracies, those accounts were fakes and so deserved to be taken down. There's enough real information. We don't need to fake it.

You could, for example, try this, from an award-winning investigative journalist

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/war-propaganda-about-ukraine-becoming?s=r
    Isaac

I have viewed the web page in the link:

Facebook, YouTube and Twitter remove disinformation targeting Ukraine

I did not have access to the above write up at the time. The article definitely gives a different view of events than Tucker Carlson does. I have encountered falsity statements from opinion pieces on YouTube before, and have detected them.

Twitter has censored stuff before, so I think its credibility is in question. OK, so Twitter says they removed fake accounts which were spreading lies. Of course it is up to me to believe Twitter or not. In any case Twitter have to make a subjective judgement as to what is acceptable or not, what is true or false. That is understood, but I have that right as well.

It still does raise the question in my mind who is telling the truth. If always trusting Facebook, Twitter and You Tube's account of events is a requirement for discussion, then maybe that needs to be stated.

I do not trust any news site full, comparing them does yield a better view. None of us here believe everything we hear, we all believe different sources, that's the way it is.

Thank you for linking the Greenwald article. It is called jumping on the bandwagon. For political reasons.
  • FreeEmotion
    Essentially, as best I can see the narrative in the chatter:Count Timothy von Icarus

For the record, I do not believe any of that. That is called the fringe isnt' it?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.