• lll

Have good dreams!
  • EugeneW

Thanks! If I remember them I'll tell you about them!
  • chiknsld
    Hold on, did you just falsely accuse me of changing my comments? I certainly did not.

All of my comments are in their original form. I'm not sure why you are acting like I am scared of what I say to you, as if you are an authority.

And as far as your atheism, again I respect all atheist's opinions. As I have already asked you, what is wrong with just being an atheist? You do not believe in God, okay and? You go around asking theists for proof of God but you are not genuinely interested in their beliefs. Really you are trying to prove to theists that there is something wrong with their personal beliefs.

Oh and I almost forgot you're somehow trying to prevent the formation of future theocracies. :snicker:
  • Tom Storm
    Well I went out to the bar tonight, "so to speak", long awaiting anything that resembled moderate discourse on your behalf (rather than the child's play you seem so eager to engage in).

I will refrain from responding to the flagrant disingenuousness of your comments until tomorrow. Don't worry, I'll make sure to address all feeble trivialities with sober mind as I did earlier, if at the very least for "argument's sake".
    chiknsld

If you didn't change your above comments, I apologise. They looked even more nasty when I first saw them last night, but now I am used to your abusive ways they seem on par with your general approach. Again apologies. By the way, did you notice I apologised when you're the one being derogatory? :wink:

You go around asking theists for proof of Godchiknsld

Most forms of atheism are about interrogating this question of proof of god/s. Especially when someone makes a god/s claim as you did, which you won't justify on a philosophy forum.

but you are not genuinely interested in their beliefs.chiknsld

So now you can read minds and determine motivations? I wonder why you arrived at this projection.

Generally I don't engage with abusive folk. It's tiresome and also for many others here.

Cheers for now.
  • L'éléphant
    No supernatural ability has ever stood up to scientific scrutiny, so I conclude that its just a product of human fear. Born from all the scary reptilian screeches we heard when we hid in caves at night because we were unable to fight in the dark! No natural night vision ability. You would think a benevolent god would have at least given us night vision when we lived in the caves, if it had then perhaps we would not have needed to develop the ability to sleep for 8 hours a day.universeness
    You missed the point of my argument about the existence of dreams. And you totally did not get the dreams/dreaming exist. There's no doubt about it, people dream. My point of saying that while dreams exist, and people really do dream, we cannot show proof that we're dreaming. Yes, maybe a brain scan of a person dreaming might show some active parts of the brain through imaging, but the imaging wouldn't show the "dream" itself, only that the person's part of the brain is at the moment active.
  • chiknsld
    Again apologies.Tom Storm
    Lol, so now it was a mistake? You didn't even have to ask for proof! :snicker:

Just stop with the false and constant pretense of authority and things might come along for you just yet. :)

And no, atheism is not about interrogating theists for proof of God.

Most forms of atheism are about interrogating...Tom Storm
    Goodness gracious :grin:

Cheers for now.Tom Storm
    As I said before, you take care bud!
  • universeness

But unlike faith or belief-based hypotheses, scientific hypotheses can be progressed into accepted fact!
  • EugeneW
    But unlike faith or belief-based hypotheses, scientific hypotheses can be progressed into accepted fact!universeness

Scientific hypotheses can have faith-based hypothesis for inspiration. If you know the gods you know the universe. As such, theism is indispensable for science. "How would the gods have made this particle act?" This question stood at the base for my massless matter fields view.
  • EugeneW
    You missed the point of my argument about the existence of dreams. And you totally did not get the dreams/dreaming exist. There's no doubt about it, people dream. My point of saying that while dreams exist, and people really do dream, we cannot show proof that we're dreaming. Yes, maybe a brain scan of a person dreaming might show some active parts of the brain through imaging, but the imaging wouldn't show the "dream" itself, only that the person's part of the brain is at the moment active.L'éléphant

By the same token, can you proof to me that you are awake and not dreaming?
  • universeness
    My point of saying that while dreams exist, and people really do dream, we cannot show proof that we're dreaming. Yes, maybe a brain scan of a person dreaming might show some active parts of the brain through imaging, but the imaging wouldn't show the "dream" itself, only that the person's part of the brain is at the moment active.L'éléphant

If each human you meet, confirms to you (if you ask them) that in their opinion, humans dream, then that is proof enough. Can you PROVE you exist? You have less need to, if I and others confirm you do.
    I exist and I think solipsism is utter nonsense, so I think you exist too. If you dream and I dream and we get further evidence from brain scanning and from asking others then that's pretty convincing proof in my opinion. If every human alive stated that god exists then I would not be calling it a fable, because I would believe it to. Do you know of any humans who say that humans don't dream?
    No proof is or can be absolute as one can always imagine a circumstance where the conditions are different. All mathematical proofs for example are reliant on the accuracy of their related first principles.
  • Gregory A
    Atheism as a non-belief in something never shown to exist is intangible in itselfBob Ross
    This is a critique of theism, not atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief in God/gods. If you think that God/gods have never been shown to exist, then you would be an atheist (unless you choose to believe with, self admittedly, 0 evidence). Atheism cannot be tangible in a literal sense by definition, just like not-stamp collecting is just as real as the number zero: neither are tangible yet are very real.

Theism is a belief in gods that so far have never been shown to exist. Atheism's (claim) is a non-belief in gods so far never shown to exist. Atheism in actuality is opposed to something never shown to exist.

Atheism is if anything a product of the Bible, a rejection of religion.

The Bible is not holistically religion. Atheism is the rejection of theism (or, more generically, yes, religion): not just merely Christianity.

Atheist's, 'as non-believers in gods', should have nothing whatever to say about religion, specifically the religions of the Bible, and can't specifically reject any religion or any god.

Theism offers an explanation for our existence, atheism offers no explanations of its own, a weaker position.

It is not a weaker position because it doesn't positively assert anything (it is a doctrine of negations). Is it a weaker position to not-stamp collect, or be an avid stamp collector? Neither. Atheism is not meant to provide anything beyond simply lacking a belief in God/gods. This doesn't mean in the slightest that someone should be a theist because "atheism is a weaker position", nor does it have anything to do with naturalism

Theism asserts God created the universe, whereas atheism "doesn't positively assert anything".

No, it's not a weaker position to not collect stamps. But an a-stampist would be a weak position.

Naturalism is the counter-position to theism
    No it is not. Traditional physicalism or materialism would be an appropriate counter argument. Naturalism is a philosophical theory that rejects supernaturalism, while not necessarily negating metaphysics. Naturalism is not the claim that all there is is definitely the material world, it is the theory that all natural events must be explained by natural laws, logic, reason, etc.

Naturalism, as the term suggests is a belief in Nature, a naturally occurring universe.

atheism occupying a non-existent middle ground

You either believe something, or you don't (principle of noncontradiction). Therefore, each person either believes in God/gods, or doesn't. Theism is the belief in such, atheism is the negation. These are, in terms of beliefs, the only two options.

There are believers, non-believers & there are atheists. Atheists 'attempt' to negate theism. Non-believers are those when asked do they believe, reply 'no'. We know who atheists are because they are active in their attacks on theism.

If atheism were valid, atheists would not be able to open their mouths.

Atheism is opening your mouth and claiming you don't believe, that is it. Other philosophical theories have to invoked to claim further. If I'm not a stamp collector, that is all I am going to be able to say about the matter, but that has nothing to do with other, completely unrelated, positions I may voice

If atheism were valid it would accept that it has nothing to say about something it doesn't believe exists.

Atheism is in being a-theistic making them a-theists.

What exactly did you prove here? Atheist is the term for those who subscribe to atheism. I'm not following the logic here.

Atheists are actively opposed to theism. They are 'a-theistic'. They are a-theists.

The invalidity of atheism does not validate theism, as naturalism may still be right, but atheism needs to be invalid for theism to be right.

It is not "theism" vs "naturalism". You can be an atheist and subscribe to metaphysical truths (you can also not be a naturalist and be an atheist). Likewise, naturalism is a philosophical theory pertaining to epistemic claims, theism is pertains strictly to belief. Not all theists claim to "know" God exists. Lots do, but some don't (some are agnostic theists). Some prefer, contrary to a 2 dimensional labeling system, a 1 dimensional representation: atheism - agnosticism - theism. However you fancy, none of it implies naturalism.

Theism and naturalism are counter positions philosophically, not opposed socially, culturally or politically.

Anyhow, why should we listen to those who reject a God (a relatively simple addon) but then continue to believe in mermaids, unicorns etc.

Atheism does not necessitate that one should believe in mermaids. I honestly haven't met a single atheist that does, nor does it pertain to atheism in any way imaginable: that would be a separate assertion.

If when looking into your container of 'non-beliefs' you select one, then all of those other things in there become real. Atheism for example says nothing about non-belief in mermaids. A theist believes in a god, but that doesn't stop him believing in many other things. His belief in god does not stop you believing in other things.

Atheism is a rejection of free-speech (primarily another element of the Left).

Not at all. Again, atheism is the negation of theism. Theism is the belief in God. Gnosticism (not in the sense of the gnostics) is the claim of knowledge (epistemically) either way, agnosticism the negation thereof. This has nothing to do with "Left" (I would presume you are referring to politics) nor free-speech.

There are many explanations for atheism, some weak, some strong. But the advent of 'red-shift' (social) is the strongest. The Left after censoring no less a person than a US President has no problem shutting down theists.

The real catch is that by entering into a (any) debate, you by default put your opponents on an equal footing as yourself, allowing as you need (and do ask) them to prove what they are claiming. For atheists to not accept this is to have them standing on ground arrogance has mislead them into believing exists.

• universeness
    Scientific hypotheses can have faith-based hypothesis for inspirationEugeneW

'Can have', yes, 'needs,' no.

If you know the gods you know the universe.EugeneW

You have yet to provide adequate evidence for your view of the Universe and your view is one of many in existence. There are probably as many posits on the structure and workings of the Universe as there are posits on the structure and workings of god. But no god hypothesis has ever progressed beyond the posit stage. I think that is an important point to consider. Humans create gods, gods don't create
    humans.

As such, theism is indispensable for science. "How would the gods have made this particle act?" This question stood at the base for my massless matter fields view.EugeneW

So why do the vast majority of scientists not believe in god?

"How would the gods have made this particle act?" works perfectly well as "How does this particle act?" Just not for you it seems. You seem to need the god part, the majority of scientists dont.
    I agree with @chiknsld right to 'a personal god' but I also fully support @Tom Storm's very fair and balanced critique of theism.
  • Agent Smith
    Sometimes to show that something is not real, we employ the literary device of describing it in totally unbelievable (read impossible) terms. The Bible (could be) is just a joke which people, for obvious reasons, took (too) seriously. Those of us who got the joke are atheists (the Biblia Sacra is a book of contradictions, reductio ad absurdum i.e. the metaphorical feather stroking our soles).
  • universeness

I highly recommend the following musings of Sean Carroll, titled

'Why (almost all) cosmologists are atheists'

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/writings/nd-paper/
  • Gregory A
    — Gregory A

this has to be a troll. Best left alone.
    2 days ago
    Wayfarer

Whether aware of it or not atheists attempt to silence theists. Theism, you are forced to agree, is placed on the right, politically. There are of course conservative atheists, no group being completely homogenous, but still, the softness of the Left, the perceived (and real) harshness of religions can not but result in generating political opposition.
  • Gregory A
    — Gregory A

this has to be a troll. Best left alone.
    — Wayfarer

You'd think so. But I've heard this kind of incoherent, quasi-libertarian shit from some apologists in recent times. Next comment is usually a connection between Communism and atheism, along with a conspiracy to deprive people of liberty, along with their faith.
    Tom Storm

You've got me here. It's not communism, but instead another even more horrific head of the Hydra that is the Left, feminism. Which will not only conspire to deprive males of their lives, females of their freedoms but along with that (all) faiths not worshiping God the Mother.
  • EugeneW
    I highly recommend the following musings of Sean Carrolluniverseness

I refuse categorically to read one more word of the good man. Besides him being obviously wrong about the universe (though he has a good view of general relativity) and time simply exists, he at least could have answered some of the questions I asked. Those guys seem to think they're living in some home-made ivory castle from which they won't descend and from which they keep the folks living down, who they call the ignorant lay persons, entering, in fear that they threaten their construction. Meanwhile they keep the folk in awe with their so-called fundamental knowledge, creating an atmosphere in which they play the role of initiated priests in the church of wisdom, chanting the bibles of science written and invented by their illustrious progenitors, selling it as the new god image we should bow to, while in fact they want us to bow to them.
  • Gregory A
    To me atheism does not make sense. What it tells me is, atheists don't believe in something that never existed in the first place. It's a circular argument.
    — L'éléphant

I don't believe that a purple man with seven arms rules the Omniverse on a throne made of cotton candy.
    lll

You also don't argue against that straw-filled creature. And if you were to you too would be a theist by disagreeing on a particular deity.
  • EugeneW
    Which will not only conspire to deprive males of their lives, females of their freedoms but along with that (all) faiths not worshiping God the Mother.Gregory A

You must have had some pretty bad experiences! Do they make you worship the Mother God? Praised is her name.
  • Gregory A
    Anyhow, why should we listen to those who reject a God (a relatively simple addon) but then continue to believe in mermaids, unicorns etc.
    — Gregory A

I give up. Why?
    praxis

Why indeed. I mean mermaids are not super-natural, why not believe in them. Eh?
  • Gregory A
    ↪Gregory A Why are people theists? Why do people believe in God?
    a day ago
    baker

As a loser, a homeless person, someone sleeping in a car, yet with a message, can communicate with others wherever they are in the world I can't help but consider such an outcome so slanted in my favour can come about by mere chance. But, still don't let me stop you believing that a 12v powered tablet computer, a hotspot from my phone, like the Mount Rushmore memorial are simply Natural features of an uncaring universe.
  • universeness
    I mean mermaids are not super-naturalGregory A

So how do you categorise mermaids? Obviously they are not 'natural,' or at least they have never been physically discovered anywhere yet on planet Earth. I categorise mermaids as fictitious, just like god.
  • Gregory A
    for the benefit of III:

God belief is completely valid. IT'S A BELIEF. It purports no knowledge. Atheism, ditto, but the opposite.

Any arguments against beliefs that they should be supported by evidence is invalid. You can't demand evidence for something that is not knowledge.

This goes for both theists and atheists. It is futile to try to convince someone to discontinue his or her BELIEF.
    — god must be atheist

The assertion 'God is real' is an assertion of belief. But! To say you can't demand evidence of something that is not knowledge (being in receipt of the facts) isn't quite true as evidence of 'dark matter' exists without anyone knowing dark matter really exists. God too could be a theory, not simply a belief.
    god must be atheist
  • Gregory A
    The fact that the universe, in its eternal infinity, exists.
    — EugeneW

It would be a proof of god's existence if that were the only valid explanation. But other valid explanations exist, and they are not any less or more valid than the other. Therefore the only thing you can claim is that the infinite space and matter in it have existed forever; but the cause of their existence is not necessarily god, AND it is not necessarily the lack of god. Either beliefs are possible, therefore either beliefs are valid AS BELEIFS but not as knowledge.
    god must be atheist

A sure confirmation of Nature would be a non-existent universe, a hypothetical situation we could at least contemplate?
  • Gregory A
    I mean mermaids are not super-natural
    — Gregory A

So how do you categorise mermaids? Obviously they are not 'natural,' or at least they have never been physically discovered anywhere yet on planet Earth. I categorise mermaids as fictitious, just like god.
    universeness

I'd chosen mermaids to avoid the 'out' that tooth fairies allow by being super-natural. Your atheism says nothing about mermaids, unicorns, etc, so we need to believe you accept these as real as you do not protest their unlikely existence (up until now that is)? New species are discovered daily by the way.
  • universeness
    I'd chosen mermaids to avoid the 'out' that tooth fairies allow by being super-natural. Your atheism says nothing about mermaids, unicorns, etc, so we need to believe you accept these as real as you do not protest their unlikely existence (up until now that is)? New species are discovered daily by the way.Gregory A

Belief is just a 'measure of confidence' that a proposal is true.
    I have no problem with your 'positive level of confidence,' that god exists.
    A harmless personal faith in a god of your imagination that gives you comfort when you are scared is exactly that, harmless.
    I will however continue to fight fervently against any leakage from your theism or any organised theism, into politics, education, societal directives etc.
    Reading your posting on this thread in general, I think your analysis of atheism and atheists is contrived and insignificant.
  • universeness
    he at least could have answered some of the questions I askedEugeneW

I will look online at the ways available to contact Sean Carroll. He certainly does YouTube podcasts where he answers questions submitted to him. Did you send him an email and got no response?
  • EugeneW

From the link:

One increasingly hears rumors of a reconciliation between science and religion. In major news magazines as well as at academic conferences, the claim is made that that belief in the success of science in describing the workings of the world is no longer thought to be in conflict with faith in God. I would like to argue against this trend, in favor of a more old-fashioned point of view that is still more characteristic of most scientists, who tend to disbelieve in any religious component to the workings of the universe.

The title ”Why cosmologists are atheists” was chosen not because I am primarily interested in delving into the sociology and psychology of contemporary scientists, but simply to bring attention to the fact that I am presenting a common and venerable point of view, not advancing a new and insightful line of reasoning. Essentially I will be defending a position that has come down to us from the Enlightenment, and which has been sharpened along the way by various advances in scientific understanding. In particular, I will discuss what impact modern cosmology has on our understanding of these truly fundamental questions.

The past few hundred years have witnessed a significant degree of tension between science and religion. Since very early on, religion has provided a certain way of making sense of the world — a reason why things are the way they are. In modern times, scientific explorations have provided their own pictures of how the world works, ones which rarely confirm the pre-existing religious pictures. Roughly speaking, science has worked to apparently undermine religious belief by calling into question the crucial explanatory aspects of that belief; it follows that other aspects (moral, spiritual, cultural) lose the warrants for their validity. I will argue that this disagreement is not a priori necessary, but nevertheless does arise as a consequence of the scientific method.

Let's evaluate and criticize this introductory words of our beloved priest Carroll.

"... a more old-fashioned point of view that is still more characteristic of most scientists, who tend to disbelieve in any religious component to the workings of the universe."

Einstein and Hawking thought differently. We may add that a religious component doesn't necessarily mean a "component to the workings of the universe".

He writes:

"The past few hundred years have witnessed a significant degree of tension between science and religion"

This tension exists only between the biblical method of creation and the scientific method. The creation myth provided by science is just a description of the workings of creation, not of creation itself of which it by definition can't offer an explanation, no matter how advanced our theories or how small the gap or its closure. We simply don't know how gods let it be.

"In modern times, scientific explorations have provided their own pictures of how the world works, ones which rarely confirm the pre-existing religious pictures."

Indeed. How it works. No picture is offered to how the universe came to be. Stupid matter can't pull itself into existence.

Pope Carroll continues:

"Roughly speaking, science has worked to apparently undermine religious belief by calling into question the crucial explanatory aspects of that belief"

Then, roughly speaking, science is apparently undermining itself. It can offer no explanation for the existence of the universe it describes. Not because we don't understand the workings yet (and I'm pretty convinced I do already now, no haughtiness implied!) but we can't understand in principle.

Should I continue? Carroll is just a priest in disguise, proselytizing souls to turn to his apodictical creation myth, standing further from the truth than the wildest fantasies our contemporary religious friends.

No bad feelings @universeness. Everyone rows his boat how they want.
  • EugeneW
    Did you send him an email and got no response?universeness

Yes:

"Hi Sean Carroll! I was discussing on the philosophy forum. I'm writing about a cosmological model which tries to explain dark energy, particle/antiparticle asymmetry, mass generations, the nature of spacetime, etc. I think massless preons exist which make up quarks and leptons. Not as pointlike particles but as 6d structures of which three are curled up in Planck-sized circles (like circles on a cilinder). Their bindings in triplets creates massive quarks and leptons. In 3d they seem pointlike. Our universe contains equal numbers of both. 

The thing I wanna ask you about. If the universe consists of two infinite 4d spaces, divided by a Planck-sized wormhole (like the center of a torus, the torus being open on the outside), could it be two 3d universes are pushed into real existence from a virtual state? Like Hawking radiation? Could all matter (except gravity) be confined to 3d while expanding in a negatively curved 4d space (the Gaussian curvature on the mouth of a torus is negative). Maybe our universe is, together with a mirror universe (antiprotons, antineutrons, positrons, and antineutrinos) expanding from a central tiny mouth, and when the both have accelerated away to infinity, the stage is set for a new inflation around the mouth, and two 3d universes are spat out, which again expand to infinity, etcetera. Is there an argument that reasons against this? Thanks in advance!

He at least could have answered some thing...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.