• praxis

Well, the hyperbole of "countless" efforts aside, it appears that his efforts were designed to suppress the votes of Democrats.
  • NOS4A2

Well, the hyperbole of "countless" efforts aside, it appears that his efforts were designed to suppress the votes of Democrats. He votes by mail himself, btw.

How does one suppress votes by attempting to block fundamental changes to election laws?
  • flannel jesus
    easy, if the changes to election laws were designed to allow more people to vote...

In what world is blocking changes automatically good and not bad? Sometimes changes are good
  • praxis
    How does one suppress votes by attempting to block fundamental changes to election laws?NOS4A2

How is it a fundamental change? I've been voting by mail for years. It's claimed that Trump votes by mail.
  • NOS4A2

It just so happened to favor one candidate, one party, some people, some states, at the expense of the rest.
  • Mikie

Yeah, I figured that one would irritate you. Must be frustrating times for the Trump cult.

Sorry for piling on. But it’s just so hilarious.
  • praxis
    It just so happened to favor one candidate, one party, some people, some states, at the expense of the rest.NOS4A2

Can you explain how it favored one candidate? Trump voters are too stupid to put something in the mail?
  • NOS4A2

How is it a fundamental change? I've been voting by mail for years. It's claimed that Trump votes by mail.

Changes, plural.
  • Mikie
    Changing election laws to allow more people to vote during a pandemic. Election fraud. Why? It favored one party— and we know that because Biden won.

:up:
  • NOS4A2

Yeah, I figured that one would irritate you. Must be frustrating times for the Trump cult.

Sorry for piling on. But it’s just so hilarious.

I welcome it. The more emojis I get from you the better. It's all on record.
  • praxis

That doesn't explain how there was a fundamental change. Just more hyperbolic language?
  • flannel jesus
    perhaps you can go into detail?

A voting change favouring one party doesn't mean the voting change is bad. If a neighborhood of old conservatives couldn't vote one year because there was no easily accessible place to vote for them, and someone changes election laws to make sure they have a place to vote, is it bad just because they're mostly conservatives?

I don't think a change benefitting one party is in itself proof that that change is bad or unethical. Can you understand why I think that?
  • Mikie

Hey I just like to meet the person on their level.
  • NOS4A2

Changes to election laws—laws that were not there before are now in effect. There were hundreds of them a cross numerous states. I don’t know how to make it more clear.
  • NOS4A2

Why alter election laws in the first place?
  • Mikie
    More people got to vote in 2020.

Trump wins? Democracy in action.
    Biden wins? Fraud! Election interference.
  • praxis

Do you not understand that a change may not be a fundamental change?
  • praxis

If we're talking about the same thing, because of the circumstances involved, namely the pandemic.
  • Fooloso4
    It just so happened to favor one candidate, one party, some people, some states, at the expense of the rest.NOS4A2

Yes, it just so happens that allowing more citizens to vote and have their ballots counted may favor one candidate. Trump's fear was that in this case it would favor Democrats, but that is how this representative democracy works.
  • NOS4A2

Would you agree that lockdowns were suppressing votes, then?
  • flannel jesus
    it's a very general question, it's probably better handled on a specific level - why did they want to change this specific election law to this?

But, just as an example, if the existing law was crap for some reason, then changing it to be less crap might be good. Why change anything ever? Because some things can be improved. Maybe an election law was making it unreasonably hard for some people to vote, or a new law was going to make voting much more accessible to more people. Changes can be good. Surely you can think of changes that are good in general, not all changes make things worse in the world right?

The generic question "why change an election law?" has the generic answer "to make it better".
  • praxis
    I don’t.NOS4A2

Hi ChatGPT! Can you explain the difference between a minor change and a fundamental change to my simple-minded friend?

ChatGPT
    Of course, I'd be happy to help you explain the difference between a minor change and a fundamental change to your friend!

A minor change and a fundamental change refer to two different levels of alteration or modification in something. Let's use an example to make it clearer:

Imagine you have a car. Making a minor change to the car would involve things like getting a new paint job, changing the seat covers, or adding a sticker. These alterations don't drastically affect the car's overall functionality or structure. They are small adjustments that might improve the appearance or comfort, but the core nature of the car remains the same.

On the other hand, a fundamental change to the car would involve altering its basic structure or purpose. For instance, if you were to replace the engine with a completely different type of engine that runs on a different fuel source, that would be a fundamental change. It would likely lead to significant alterations in how the car performs and what it's capable of doing. This kind of change goes beyond surface-level adjustments and has a more profound impact on the overall nature of the object.

In essence, a minor change is something small and often cosmetic, while a fundamental change is something substantial that can alter the very nature or functionality of the thing being changed.
  • NOS4A2

I’m not sure they were changing election laws in the lead up to an election out of the goodness of their hearts.
  • flannel jesus
    Okay well the only way to investigate that is by looking at specific changes rather than general questions about change.
  • Mikie
    In NOS’s defense, there was a big push to suppress voting. It was done by the Republican parties in several states.

Trump was such a terrible president that people voted him out anyway, in spite of Republican interference and lies. I realize this must really be frustrating to the cult.
  • NOS4A2

Think for yourself for a second. Do you think changing a law is cosmetic and minor?
  • praxis

It obviously depends on the change. PLEASE READ WHAT THE AI WROTE FOR YOU.
  • NOS4A2

Changing laws is cosmetic and minor, according to praxis.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.