• Jedothek
    William Buckley was talking with Christopher Hitchens in 1984, you might be able to get it with

https://www.google.com/search?q=buckley+hitchens&oq=buckley+hitchens&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIICAEQABgWGB4yCAgCEAAYFhgeMggIAxAAGBYYHtIBCTIyODE4ajBqNKgCALACAQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:4443daf0,vid:Atk7V3W6oUc,st:0

or you could do a search on “buckley hitchens 1984 liberal crack-up.” Around 34:37 Hitchens says, “there’s an undistributed middle in your logic.”
    My question is: what is the undistributed middle?
    When I try to reconstruct what Buckley has just said, I get:

All agents who call for suicidal measures are at fault.
    The left called for suicidal measures [to be effected in Iran in the last days of the Shah].
    Therefore the left is at fault,

where of course the middle is distributed. How does Hitches understand Buckley and where is the fallacy? Hitchens could be mistaken of course, but he wasn’t stupid or dishonest, so what he said cannot be pure BS.
    What do you think?
  • flannel jesus
    All agents who call for suicidal measures are at fault.
    The left called for suicidal measures [to be effected in Iran in the last days of the Shah].
    Therefore the left is at fault,
    Jedothek

If this is truly the argument given, then I don't see an undistributed middle. Are you sure you got this part right?

[edit] after having watched the clip from about a minute before your suggested timestamp to the point where he says it, I don't think that it's obvious at all that the logic you laid out here is the thing he's calling an undistributed middle. That being said, I'm not entirely sure what he is calling that.
  • jgill
    For those, like me, who didn't know: Fallacy of the undistributed middle
  • tim wood
    If I can add to yours, a term in a classical syllogism is distributed when somewhere in the syllogism the important quality is said of all the members of that term.
    Example:
    All men are mortal.
    Socrates is a man.
    Socrates is mortal.

Three terms, man/men, Socrates, mortal.
    All men - men is distributed because something is said about all of them.
    "Mortal" is not distributed.
    Socrates is distributed, because something is said about all of Socrates - this is a little tricky, but not very tricky.

If man/men were not distributed, then it might read,
    Some men are mortal.
    Socrates is a man
    Socrates is mortal.

And the problem with that conclusion should be clearly evident.

Syllogistic reasoning is not too difficult, although a little strange at first. Worth the effort of learning.
  • Jedothek
    As i suggested, that syllogism was only an attempt on my part to reconstruct Buckley's argument: I suspected it was irrelevant to Hitchens' reply because, as we both said, it contains no undistributed middle.

I would appreciate any conjectures from folks as to what exactly was the argument from Buckley that Hitchens called fallacious.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.