• Lionino
    https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/teenager-charged-with-terrorism-over-sydney-bishop-stabbing-2024-04-18/

Muslim terrorist stabs Assyrian bishop in Sydney, the bishop was sent to the hospital and survived the injuries.
  • Lionino
    This stuff has been happening for years in the States. Started a bit later in England but has been going on for a while.

New Zealand is heading there, the brain damage can already be seen in England, Canada, and starting in Australia.Lionino

Rings a bell?
  • AmadeusD
    Of course. I've been monitoring this rather weird left-wing authoritarianism for a while now.

NZ is so small its almost a joke, and doesn't really matter.
    Luckily, one of my courses next semester (ours run Feb-June and July-Nov) has this disclaimer on the course guide page (that I, naturally, cannot locate to quote**) which basically says if you take this course, you're agreeing to hear people's views you don't like, and its up to you to deal with that. I quite like that the Phil department at UoA at least isn't particularly far down this avenue yet. Hopefully, it remains so.

** Found it:

"This course will treat you as adults. We will discuss a wide range of themes which may well challenge some of your beliefs, and we expect you to be civil and reasonable when engaging with this material."; and

"Trigger Warnings
    The University doesn't support a blanket policy of trigger warnings. Trigger warnings may be appropriate for in-depth or graphic depictions of events. In this course, we will refer to a wide range of horrors, atrocities, and distasteful events as examples. We don't believe passing mention of controversial issues generally requires trigger warnings. They may include:

Murder, sexual assault, child abuse, maiming, suicide, torturing people and animals, war crimes, massacres, oppression of individuals and cultures, sexism, racism, terrorism, cancers, abortion, euthanasia, religion, political events, sports, magic, alternative medicines, autism, mental health, disabilities, natural disasters, and anything else that may occur to the lecturer, tutor, or other students.

We will also encourage you to question taboo topics. However, because almost all subjects can be discussed, we expect higher standards of understanding, empathy, and tolerance between people on sensitive topics."
  • Lionino
    Old news but still relevant and funny.

• Outlander
    An armed gunman attempted to rob an Amazon delivery driver, who in turn shot and killed him.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/alleged-armed-carjacker-shoots-killed-by-ohio-amazon-delivery-driver/HLD7ROJHWBE2ZOQBDIHLMTPLTM/

Thoughts? :chin:
  • javi2541997
    Thoughts?Outlander

That could only happen in the USA...
  • Sir2u
    I live next door to El Salvador, I seriously hope this guy does not get caught with shit on his hands.
    A lot of politicians could learn something from him. Even with human rights groups screaming foul he appears to be getting the job done. The only problem is that a bunch of the bastards he missed are now causing problems here.
  • Lionino
    He is a cool guy, hopefully he doesn't suicide by shotgun to the back of the head. His Twitter profile bio says "philosopher king"; he should join TPF.
  • Sir2u
    :up: Shit has happened around here, and will continue to do so
  • AmadeusD
    The Sun's formatting is too bizarre to make the page readable, unfortunately.

But Murray rarely misses, despite being a bit of a dick.
  • Sir2u
    On a computer screen the format is ok, I never use the mobile for viewing anything unless it is an emergency.

But I do think he has it about right. I cannot imagine anyone asking for a moments silence for a mass murderer never mind an asshole like that guy.
  • AmadeusD
    The asshole being the deceased?
  • Sir2u
    The asshole being the deceased?AmadeusD

Ummm. Maybe that word is to nice for him, after all assholes are useful thing. But anyway I would love to been able to see him shitting himself while the helicopter crashed.
  • Outlander

And this is why my former English teacher was right again in his philosophy of "never discussing religion or politics with anyone" no matter how hard I pressed him on the two. :rofl:
  • Sir2u
    And this is why my former English teacher was right again in his philosophy of "never discussing religion or politics with anyone" no matter how hard I pressed him on the twoOutlander

I was an English teacher for many years. I used to avoid any discussion about religion, Being the only atheist in a roman catholic school sorts of puts you off things like that.
  • javi2541997
    I was an English teacher for many years.Sir2u

I wish I had you as an English teacher in my school. You seem to be a very dedicated person and the passion for teaching flourished when I had some debates with you about English irregular verbs and philosophy of language last year. Honduran folks were lucky to have you. I didn't have a 'native' English teacher until I started university. Bloody moocow...
  • frank
    So the US GDP is down and initial jobless claims are up. Wall St celebrates. Isn't that weird? The reason Wall St is happy is that it means Powell may lower interest rates a little sooner. Lower interest rates means investment becomes easier. The moral to the story is that if Wall St and Main St have diverging agendas, Wall St is going to win because it has the federal government backing it. The other moral to the story is that while the government is backing the well-being of Wall St, you should invest in it.
  • javi2541997
    The reason Wall St is happy is that it means Powell may lower interest rates a little sooner.frank

We are expecting the same from Christine Lagarde here in Europe. I think she may start to lower the interests as well and try to control the price of money in a more balanced way. When the interest rate went up, it was unbearable for most families to face the paying of mortgages and this sense of anxiety is stressful. In countries with low incomes, like mine's, shrinking interests could be a 'lifesaver' for thousands of families.

Let's see what the U.S. Federal Reserve and European Central Bank will do this summer...
  • frank
    I think at least by September, the Fed will lower rates.
  • javi2541997
    We have to wait until September then because the ECB will do whatever the Fed does.
  • frank
    Joined at the hip.
  • javi2541997
    Why does the government of my country love to sue or accuse people and businesses worldwide?

Spain fines Ryanair, easyJet, Vueling and Volotea 150 million euros for hand luggage charges

First the President of Argentina, now Ryanair.

The Ministry of Social Rights, Consumer Affairs and Agenda 2030 has fined Ryanair, easyJet, Vueling and Volotea 150 million euros for “abusive practices” when charging for hand luggage. The penalty is based on the infringements of extra charges for booking an adjacent seat to accompany minors or dependents, charging for the transport of hand luggage, being “opaque...”
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet