• Nemo2124
    The Barber of Seville shaves all the men of Seville apart from himself.

Who shaves the Barber of Seville?

• flannel jesusAccepted Answer
    Joe
  • Nemo2124
    Who shaves him, not what's his name.

Rephrase: Joe, the Barber of Seville... etc.
  • flannel jesus
    No, Who doesn't shave anybody.
  • Nemo2124
    Not sure what you mean, this is a paradox (Russell)...
  • flannel jesus
    the barber shaves all other than himself, Joe shaves the barber, but Who doesn't shave anybody. Russell gets shaved by the barber.
  • Nemo2124
    I thought about this and my best guess is that the barber goes to the nearest village outside of Seville.

I don't think this does it justice, so it remains a paradox.

That's all folks.
  • Sir2u
    He shaves himself while looking in the mirror. :cool:
  • javi2541997
    He shaves himself while looking in the mirrorSir2u

I thought the same, but @Nemo2124 stated that '... all the men of Seville apart from himself.'

We have a good paradox or riddle here. The Barber of Seville can only be shaved by another barber from another city or village. The quid of this paradox is the location of the barber, because he is the Barber of Seville,' not a barber from anywhere else. So, the big paradox is he can only be shaved by another barber, but not from Seville.

Then, the Barber of Seville needed to go to another site to shave himself, because if there was another barber like him in Seville, he would not be the only barber in the city.

You don't have any clue about this linguistic paradox. Surprisingly! When you ranted on my posts about the staircase paradox.
  • flannel jesus
    You don't have any clue about this linguistic paradox.javi2541997

This isn't a paradox. The sentence of the op is clearly, plainly, easily possible. Nothing remotely challenging about imagining a man shaving all men in his village except himself.
  • jorndoe
    The Barber of Seville shaves all the men of Seville apart from himself.Nemo2124

Should have been:
    The Barber of Seville shaves those who don't shave themselves.
    Who shaves the Barber then?
  • javi2541997
    This isn't a paradox.flannel jesus

It will be very informative what you consider (and please explain) a paradox, because according to your posts, none of the previous threads are paradoxes.

The sentence of the op is clearly, plainly, easily possible. Nothing remotely challenging about imagining a man shaving all men in his village except himself.flannel jesus

That's where your mistake pops up. You only understand paradoxes as mathematical challenges against common sense. Again, this is a linguistic paradox, not something related to algebra.

We have a linguistic paradox here because of the following premises:

A) The Barber of Seville shaves all the men of Seville

B) Apart from himself.

And C) Who shaves the Barber of Seville then?

The paradox is that the Barber of Seville can shave everyone in Seville, but there is not another barber who can shave him.
    If there are no more barbers in Seville apart from him... who shaves him, Sherlock?
  • flannel jesus
    someone from outside Seville, or someone who isn't a barber, or maybe there are more barbers in Seville but they aren't all called "the barber of Seville", and that title is reserved for him. All quite apparent solutions

Or maybe nobody shaves him, maybe he has a really long beard - or he doesn't grow a beard, because he's a trans man before the age of hrt
  • javi2541997
    or maybe there are more barbers in Seville but they aren't all called "the barber of Seville",flannel jesus

No. There aren't more barbers in Seville, this is the key of the paradox.

someone from outside Seville, or someone who isn't a barber,flannel jesus

You share my point then. It is a paradox because, although he is the one who shaves the people of Seville, there is not another who can shave him. So, he needs to leave the city to be shaved by a different barber of him.

Or maybe nobody shaves him,flannel jesus

It is not about if someone shaves him or not, but if there is a possibility to be shaved in Seville by a different barber apart from him!

This isn't a paradoxflannel jesus

You haven't explained what is a paradox yet! :blush:
  • flannel jesus
    You haven't explained what is a paradox yet! :blush:javi2541997

A paradox certainly ISN'T a simple story, ended with a simple question that has a simple answer.

I pour milk for everyone in my house except for me. Who pours milk for me?
  • javi2541997
    Mate, this is not a simple story. If you are an expert at recognizing paradoxes, why do you not try to define them or at least explain how they work to me. I am still waiting for your answer.

On the other hand…

I pour milk for everyone in my house except for me. Who pours milk for me?flannel jesus

The premise is badly written. The OP didn’t say “except” but “apart”. This means if there is someone, apart from A, who can commit the action.

In the paradox of the OP, A is the barber, who shaves others in the same city. But, paradoxically, there can’t be Y because there is not another barber apart from him. He can shave himself, but is there someone who can shave him?

The same happens in your irregular example. There could be a paradox if we say: you pour the milk for everyone in your house. You can pour the milk by yourself. But is there someone who could pour the milk apart from you?
  • flannel jesus
    when I Google "define apart from" I get:

Merriam: Other than, Besides, except for

You're stretching really far for all this my man.
  • javi2541997
    See! It is a linguistic paradox. You are getting closer to the approach of this thread. :smile:

The text states that besides adds something to the clause. It means "plus". Except (of) means minus; it has a meaning of excluding something. Apart from is a combination of the two, meaning plus / minus depending on the context.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/565669/difference-between-besides-apart-from-and-except-for-prepositions-vs-adv#:~:text=Except%20(of)%20means%20minus%3B,minus%20depending%20on%20the%20context.
  • flannel jesus
    I see your personal linguistic confusions, is that what you want me to see?
  • javi2541997
    No. I want you to see this:

“Apart from” and “except for” are different things.

The first means “plus”. So, is there a barber in Seville apart from the one who shaves the people and himself? It is cumulative. There could be the possibility that others could shave the barber. But who If he is the only one in Seville?
    The second means “minus”. Is there a barber except for the one who shaves others and himself? It is excluding. There cannot be a paradox because we already take for granted that the barber is the only one in Seville.
  • flannel jesus
    The first means “plus”. So, is there a barber in Seville apart from the one who shaves the people and himself? It is cumulative. There could be the possibility that others could shave the barber. But who If he is the only one in Seville?
    The second means “minus”. Is there a barber except for the one who shaves others and himself? It is excluding. There cannot be a paradox because we already take for granted that the barber is the only one in Seville.
    javi2541997

I'm not getting the impression from these words that you're entirely comfortable in English.
  • javi2541997
    I know I am debating correctly when you don’t know how to answer back to me rather than just attacking my English skills knowing that I am not a native speaker.

You give up on continuing debating on the paradox, right?
  • flannel jesus
    knowing that I am not a native speaker.javi2541997

I didn't know that, and it's not meant to be an insult, but it is clear from all your language confusions in this thread. You're trying to correct me in ways you don't understand. If English really isn't your native language, then it would make sense for you to be a little more humble about your interpretations of these words, rather than latching on to some other persons confusions on stack exchange.

I never debated a paradox here, there isn't one.
  • javi2541997
    You are the one who is correcting me and highlighting my grammatical mistakes, mate…

By the way, I tried to explain that “except for” and “apart from” are different. One is an adverb and the other is a preposition. When I translate into Spanish it makes a great difference if I use one or another in the sentence, but it seems in English it is not that important.

Let’s leave it there. You just discovered I suck at a language I am not native to, and we derailed from the main point of the thread which is a paradox, not proofreading my sentences.
    I experienced this before here in the forum. It is not the first time, and it will not be the last one…
  • flannel jesus
    You are the one who is correcting me and highlighting my grammatical mistakes, mate…javi2541997

Really? So it wasn't you who started the conversation about my use of "except"? I think it was.

On the other hand…

I pour milk for everyone in my house except for me. Who pours milk for me?
    — flannel jesus

The premise is badly written.
    javi2541997

You started the semantic conversation, and now you're crying victim.

Let's leave it there. Sure. You're the victim, let's all shed a tear for javi.
  • RogueAI
    There's no paradox here. Flannel is right.
  • javi2541997
    I didn't ask for your opinion.
  • unenlightened
    The Barber of Seville shaves those who don't shave themselves.
    Who shaves the Barber then?
    jorndoe

The barber of Seville sports a fine manicured beard, or else he shaves himself. Still no paradox.

To produce the paradox, the op needs rephrasing.

"The (male) Barber of Seville shaves all and only those men who do not shave themselves."

This Barber. who might be called @javi, or Jose, or Juan, some such throat clearing appellation, can only shave himself if he does not shave himself, and if he does shave himself, then he does not. Even the Spanish have some difficulty with learning to do this: British barbers regularly cut their clients throats instead and dispose of their bodies in meat pies, to avoid this sort of difficulty.
  • Moliere
    British barbers regularly cut their clients throats instead and dispose of their bodies in meat pies, to avoid this sort of difficulty.unenlightened

The USians contract it out and sell the meat pies to various NGO's funded by grants who distribute it to those "in need"
  • TonesInDeepFreeze

Symbolize:

Sy <-> y lives in Seville

My <-> y is a man

Hxy <-> x shaves y

Premises:

Sb & Mb

Ay((Sy & My & ~y=b) -> Hby)

~Hbb

Consistent with those premises:

~Ey Hyb

Ey Hyb

There is no paradox in any of this.

As mentioned, Russell's paradox is not "There is a b that shaves all who do not shave themselves except himself." Rather, Russell's paradox is "There is a b who shaves all and only those who do not shave themselves." Symbolized, Russell's paradox is:

Ay(Hby <-> ~Hyy)
  • jorndoe
    Figaro shaved Bartolo, but not Rosina though she didn't shave herself, at least I don't think she did, but what do I know — no matter, in a universe where Figaro is hairless, no such Figaro-shaving is applicable in the first place. Unless shaving a fake beard counts.

British barbers regularly cut their clients throats instead and dispose of their bodies in meat pies, to avoid this sort of difficulty.unenlightened

Canadians append a verbal "Sorry". :D

So, anyway, does the King of France shave himself or not? More importantly, have you stopped shaving your palms yet, well, have you?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment