• punos
    Two of my favorite turntablist DJs from back in the day.

Dj-Qbert @ The Summit [1998]

Qbert and D-Styles Q&A

D-STYLES IDA 2018 SHOWCASE
  • Punshhh
    One of my favourite albums. I like Tax Free Tax Free Tax Free. Do you have a link to this track? I haven’t been able to find one.
  • punos
    oops...
  • punos
    Amazing skill, just wow.

DJ Q-Bert Faderless Scratching:
  • Kizzy

Noises, noises, people make noises!
  • 180 Proof
    Baby, don't you let your
    dog bite me

"I'm in Love Again" (2:00)
    A-side single, 1956
    writers F. Domino & D. Bartholomew
    performer Fats Domino
  • punos
    Taking Five...
  • javi2541997
    @Alkis Piskas Hello, Alkis. I was listening to some versions of 'milo mou kai mandarini' yesterday afternoon. I'd want to share the ones I enjoyed the most with you. I suppose you'd like to listen to them whenever you have time. What a beautiful and charming tune this Greek traditional song has. :flower:

• Alkis Piskas
    Hi, Javi. Not so much in that music. "Ηeavy" oriental (Turkish) stuff. Although the song is Greek. It's traditional music of Smyrne, an old city of Turkey (hence the music) part of which has been inhabited by Greeks.
  • javi2541997
    It's traditional music of Smyrne, an old city of Turkey (hence the music) part of which has been inhabited by Greeks.Alkis Piskas

Interesting. I appreciate it for letting me know. I discovered another cool fact today because of you! :smile:
  • Paine
    A great example of how the piano was seen as the interlocuter playing against the other players

• javi2541997
    I was listening to this yesterday afternoon because of the Euros feeling. I don’t usually watch football, but you know when our nations play against each other... I have butterflies in my stomach. :broken:

• javi2541997
    If only I were able to understand such a beautiful language as Greek…

• John McMannis
    I’ve been listening to a lot of Sinatra lately. Makes me happy.
  • Amity
    Ears and mind totally wowed by an audio book: Terry Pratchett's 'Equal Rites', from the free Libby app.
    Narrated by Indira Varma, Bill Nighy reads the footnotes, Peter Serafonwicz is the voice of Death.
    Theme tunes for the novels have been composed by the Bafta-winning composer James Hannigan.

I have tried before but failed to 'get into' Terry Pratchett. What was wrong with me? Lack of imagination.
    However, listening to this...well...it amazes me how quickly I've been drawn in. Every nuance is picked up by the narrator whose voice/s captured my attention, bringing the characters to life. It's magic :sparkle:

Nighy said he was honoured to “bring to life one of the funniest, quirkiest and best-loved aspects of Terry Pratchett’s world … They are his personal commentary on the action, little snippets of information or funny asides,” he said. “They feel very much like the voice of the great man himself commenting on the action. I’ve enjoyed it enormously.”The Guardian - Terry Pratchett - new Discworld recordings (article more than 2yrs old)

The choice in Libbyapp is limited, so I looked around. Free Complete Discworld Audiobooks:

https://archive.org/details/discworld-audiobooks
  • AmadeusD
    I've been a massive Mike Patton kick recently, topping the list on Spotify for his solo work, Fantomas and nearing the top for Faith No More, Bungle, Peeping Tom, Kaada/Patton and a few others.

Unsure what it is about him. Everything is gold. I am an absolutely incredible vocal nerd, so this explains some of it. But he just does so much, across so many fields and genres.. Never ending source of impressive work.
  • Amity
    Reading about Kamala in Georgia:
    US elections 2024
    Atlanta rally: Harris tells Trump to ‘say it to my face’ and challenges him to debate
    VP touts prosecution record to cheering crowd after state leaders including Stacey Abrams take stage to show support
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jul/30/kamala-harris-atlanta-rally

Never been there. I've only ever visited Georgia via words, film or music. Here's a song I enjoy:

Rainy Night in Georgia - Brook Benton

A rainy night in Georgia
    Such a rainy night in Georgia
    Lord I believe it's rainin' all over the world
    I feel like it's rainin' all over the world

How many times I wondered
    It still comes out the same
    No matter how you look at it or think of it
    Well it's life, and you just got to play the game

Sunnier days ahead? 'It still comes out the same' - the sun's still there in the pouring rain... :sparkle:
  • Amity
    Here comes the sun! :smile:

Che bella cosa 'na jurnata 'e sole
    L'aria serena doppo 'na tempesta
    Pe' ll'aria fresca pare già 'na festa
    Che bella cosa 'na jurnata 'e sole

What a beautiful thing is a sunny day!
    The air is serene after a storm,
    The air is so fresh that it already feels like a celebration.
    What a beautiful thing is a sunny day!

'At the opening ceremony of the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp, "'O sole mio" was played in place of the Italian national anthem, whose sheet music had not been delivered to the band' -wiki.

'As a tribute to Maestro Pavarotti on his 59th birthday on 12th October, Adams shares with you their performance of 'O Sole Mio filmed in Modena, Italy on 13th September 1994.'

The sheer joy of it all... :cool:

Bryan Adams & Luciano Pavarotti - 'O Sole Mio
  • Amity
    Thanks for the introduction to Mike Patton.
    But he just does so much, across so many fields and genres.. Never ending source of impressive work.AmadeusD

Given my liking for Italian music, both classical and pop, I was delighted to find this:
    Mondo Cane is a 2010 album by Mike Patton. Featuring a forty-member orchestra and fifteen-piece backing band, the album contains a series of cover versions of 1950s and 1960s Italian pop music. Patton conceived of the album while living in Bologna, and became attracted to music he heard on the radio featuring pop singers backed by orchestras [...]
    The singer has described his admiration for Morricone's writing, feeling that the composer turned "what could be banal, surface-style pop into really deep, orchestrated, tense and compelling music". Several of the album's songs had been written by Morricone, including "Deep Down", written for the 1968 Mario Bava film Danger: Diabolik. Patton had been aware of the song for some time, having been a fan of the film and Morricone's score; however, the two musicians never actually met or worked together.
    Wiki - Mondo Cane - album by Mike Patton

Mike Patton's Mondo Cane-08- Deep Deep Down - Live at the Holland Festival in Amsterdam.
  • Amity
    More from Mike Patton :cool: :heart:
    Mondo Cane - Il Cielo In Una Stanza

Then again, there is Mina, his inspiration? :flower: :fire:
    Mina - Il cielo in una stanza (1960)
  • Kizzy

My name is Wepeel
    Got a box full of your toys
    They're fresh out of batteries
    But they're still making noise, making noise
  • Hanover
    Prince's solo at the end of this is conclusive proof for the existence of God.
  • Amity
    Prince's solo at the end of this is conclusive proof for the existence of God.Hanover
    Thanks, Hanover :smile:
    I don't know about the existence of God but Prince needed a Guardian Angel to stop his backwards fall from stage! An outstanding performance but OTT, I think, for the song 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.
    I prefer Eric Clapton in Concert for George. Watching this - the talent and togetherness of the line-up of wonderfully close musicians, including Dhani grinning. Something else. Just like his Dad, George :heart:

Concert for George | Live at the Royal Albert Hall | Full Concert 2002

Setlist:
    01. Sarve Shaam (Traditional)
    02. Your Eyes (Anoushka Shankar)
    03. The Inner Light (Jeff Lynne & Anoushka Shankar)
    04. Arpan (Ravi Shankar)
    05. Sit On My Face (Monty Python)
    06. The Lumberjack Song (Monty Python)
    07. I Want to Tell You (Jeff Lynne)
    08. If I Needed Someone (Eric Clapton)
    09. Old Brown Shoe (Gary Brooker)
    10. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth) (Jeff Lynne)
    11. Beware of Darkness (Eric Clapton)
    12. Here Comes the Sun (Joe Brown)
    13. That's the Way It Goes (Joe Brown)
    14. Horse to the Water (Jools Holland & Sam Brown)
    15. Taxman (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
    16. I Need You (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
    17. Handle with Care (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
    18. Isn't It a Pity (Billy Preston)
    19. Photograph (Ringo Starr)
    20. Honey Don't (Ringo Starr)
    21. For You Blue (Paul McCartney)
    22. Something (Paul McCartney & Eric Clapton)
    23. All Things Must Pass (Paul McCartney)
    24. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Paul McCartney & Eric Clapton)
    25. My Sweet Lord (Billy Preston)
    26. Wah-Wah (Eric Clapton & Billy Preston)
    27. I'll See You in My Dreams (Joe Brown).
  • AmadeusD
    Awesome isn't he?

Deep Down seems to be the most popular cut from that project. No complaints haha. Glad you've enjoyed!!

His album Corpse Flower done with Jean-Claude Vannier might also be up your alley!
  • AmadeusD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIU8TBJ7SYU And his behaviour/actions here prove there is none :lol:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.