• javi2541997
    Vector spaces may have irrational dimensions.Lionino

It turns to an uncountable dimension. Right? Or am I lost in something?

Now, I can't see the next step in your rule.
  • Lionino
    Interesting question. Usually, the dimension of a vector space is countable, but it can be finite or infinite.

A vector space of any given dimension, for example, with dimension π has a countable dimension of... exactly π. But under my definition we will have uncountably many subspaces of R2 that are not subspaces of R1, for example.
  • javi2541997
    But under my definition we will have uncountably many subspaces of R2 that are not subspaces of R1, for example.Lionino

I think I can see it. By uncountable in your definition, it means that there are infinite subspaces or dimensions. Right? It is not about to be countable but if the vector space has a dimension.
  • Lionino
    Uncountably many subspaces. There are uncountably many dimensions that a vector space may have, yes.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.