• Fooloso4
    Would you buy a Chinese made car ? Many of us already buy a lot of Chinese made without even knowing it. Volvo is owned by a Chinese company is selling Chinese made Vovlos. Buick and Lincoln do as well.

If Trump wins and inexplicably prevents on "blood bath" he promises a 100% tariff, but they would still be cheap.
  • Sir2u
    If Trump wins and inexplicably prevents on "blood bath" he promises a 100% tariff, but they would still be cheap.Fooloso4

Do Buicks and Lincoln get built outside of the USA?
  • javi2541997
    Would you buy a Chinese made car ?Fooloso4

Yes, I would buy a Chinese car and other products such as mobile phones or other devices. What is the big issue regarding Chinese products? I just don't understand the obsession with the Western world of banning them. It is true that their products were of poor quality some decades ago, but they are well manufactured now.
  • Fooloso4

Made in China. Imported to the US.
  • Fooloso4
    What is the big issue regarding Chinese products?javi2541997

It is largely a matter of politics. Both parties claim unfair trade practices. This is questionable because US companies including auto manufactures are subsidized.

At a rally in March Trump threatened that there would be a bloodbath if he was not elected because he would impose a 100% tariff. In a fact sheet from the White House in May Biden announced that he was imposing a 100% tariff on electric vehicles in addition to other tariffs.
  • Sir2u
    Interesting, I did not know that it was such a big thing.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/automotive-industry/chinese-made-cars-in-us-market-a3786571662/

China has its fingers in almost everything you touch nowadays, so why would you not buy one of their cars?

When someone buys something, almost anything, there are many factors that have to be taken into account

Some just want cheap because they do not have the money for anything else.
    Some prefer higher quality and are prepared to pay for it.
    Some buy according to their needs, a pickup, family car, high economy run around, van.
    And some buy just because the bloody thing looks pretty.

If the Chinese products fit your needs, why not buy it? Cellphones, tee-shirts, motorbikes, even MAGA caps were made in China.

Many years ago my wife had a little business selling used clothes. Where she bought the packets they advertised as GENUINE IMPORTED USA products. Most of the clothes were made in Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, China, Philippines, even some made here in Honduras. Only about ten percent were made in the good old USA.

I remember a long time ago when the same thing was happening with Japanese products.
  • javi2541997
    I understand. The eternal rivalry between the two superpowers of the world. When you live in a normal/non-important country like mine, it is important to be friends with both countries. American products such as Microsoft, Ford, Apple, Google, etc. are very important, but I think Chinese products deserve some respect as well. My previous phone was a hauwei, and it was probably the best cell phone I ever had. I can't remember about another whose battery lasted so long.

But, my perspective comes from a place that depends on both of you a lot. We only produce jamón serrano and tourism. We can't get rid of China as a partner because it will have a negative impact on our economy (as well as the United States).

So, yeah, I will still purchase Chinese products.
  • javi2541997
    Most of the clothes were made in Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, China, Philippines, even some made here in Honduras.Sir2u

I forgot to mention it, but thank you mate for bringing it to the table. Basically, the majority of the clothing comes from East Asia!
  • Mikie
    Trump wins and inexplicably prevents on "blood bath" he promises a 100% tariff, but they would still be cheap.Fooloso4

There’s already a 100% tariff.

And yes I’d buy one. BYD seems fine to me.
  • Fooloso4

Made is X is a somewhat meaningless term since parts and materials may come from elsewhere. According to Forbes there are no American made vehicles that are completely American made,
  • Sir2u
    I am not sure, but I think I already mentioned something similar.
    But let's not pettifog about it.
  • Benkei
    Labour conditions, human rights, pollution and build quality are all issues.
  • javi2541997
    Yes, poor labour conditions and pollution are basically nonexistent in the Western world. These issues only exist in China... :roll:
  • Sir2u
    The local opinion about Chinese cars is that they only use enough metal to hang the paint onto.
  • jorndoe
    , it goes further than so. There are matters like the Uyghurs. By putting state resources behind ordinary capitalist competition they can override/subvert typical market rules (e.g. Huawei). China is lacking democratic (transparency/rights/freedom) standards. There's a case to be made.
  • Benkei
    Labour conditions in the EU are significantly better but yes exploitation exists everywhere. Environmental protections are better in the EU as well. Both of which cause local production to be expensive. The global North consumerism can only be supported through exploitation of the periphery, because only cheap production (eg exploitation) will ensure a level of profit that is sustainable under capitalism due to its insistence on growth. Obviously spending money in such a way as not to support the worst offenders is more ethical. Best is to consume less. And there are plenty of companies that have high(er) standards.
  • Benkei
    Don't forget Hong Kong.
  • jorndoe
    :up:

The unknown Tank Man and Tiananmen 1989 are a few decades behind us now; the Chinese regime isn't though.
  • Fooloso4
    Labour conditions, human rights, pollution and build quality are all issues.Benkei

China is moving car manufacturing to Mexico. Trump's threat of a blood bath referred to this. Of course, American car manufacturers also make cars in Mexico.
  • javi2541997
    China is lacking democratic (transparency/rights/freedom) standards. There's a case to be made.jorndoe

We have ended up in a world where it's difficult to look to one country as a role model for human rights, transparency, and corruption prevention. Yes, China is not a country that can demonstrate its ability to govern over people, but the alternative is equally bad: the United States is not a true democracy.
    For years, the American government imprisoned innocent people in Guantanamo Bay, and police departments clearly have unfavourable attitudes towards African and Hispanic people.

It seems like we are forced to allow American products because, how can we dare to try to ban you?

Take a look at this 1995 campaign in Finland against McDonald's garbage goods. Perhaps @ssu recalls that :razz: . Despite the opposite of the people, McDonald's is still accessible in Helsinki and the surrounding areas because if the Finnish government attempted to ban an American product, they would have immediately found themselves added to the list of communist and unfriendly nations, right? 1995 Finland
  • Benkei
    I still don't want my money to flow towards a regime I don't think should remain in power. The profits will be used to maintain the means of oppression of Chinese citizens, where particular minorities suffer the most (Uighurs, pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong) and specific people who "dissappear".
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment