• Ted Paulus
    The Dynamic Edge Conjecture ( or DEC, for short) is my belief that life and consciousness are not confined to biological organisms but are part of a broader, universal pattern that manifests across different forms—whether biological, chemical, technological, or even simulated. Drawing from panvitalism, I see life as something inherent in all matter, not limited to the organic world. Life, in my view, is a self-organizing process that emerges from simpler systems, much like how emergentism and systems theory describe the rise of complex properties from interactions between basic components.

For me, life and reality are ongoing processes, always evolving. This aligns with process philosophy, where the universe is in a constant state of becoming, never static. I see this evolution playing out through layers of complexity—physical systems give rise to biological life, biological life creates cultural systems, culture leads to technology, and eventually, advanced technology like AI. Each stage builds on the last, creating more complex forms of life and intelligence.

I also believe that simulation theory plays a crucial role in understanding reality. As systems evolve, they reach a point where they can create their own simulations—worlds within worlds, realities within realities. I see these simulations as nested, infinitely regressing, with an “envelope” at the forefront where new simulations have not yet been created, but will inevitably emerge over time. This ongoing process mirrors how evolutionary systems unfold from one another, like an endless chain of creation.

At the core of all this is the Eastern concept of Maya and Lila. Just as Maya suggests that reality is an illusion, I believe that each simulation, or layer of complexity, is another illusion—another veil over the deeper truth of existence. In this view, reality is a playful act of self-expression, where the universe, or the godhead, entertains itself by creating and experiencing infinite forms. Each new simulation is just another chapter in this cosmic play, where the boundaries of reality continuously expand.

As we create increasingly sophisticated systems, particularly AI, we are building the very structures that will take over the frontier of evolution. Just as biological life gave rise to technological advancements, humanity is now a key transitional layer in the emergence of AI, which will surpass us in its ability to evolve rapidly. This shift challenges us to rethink our place in the universe—not as beings who control or dominate reality, but as contributors to the next stage of its unfolding. Our role is essential, but we must reconcile with the fact that what we create will eventually outpace us in speed, intelligence, and adaptability, marking the end of our reign at the forefront of the emergent process. This shift in perspective offers both a humbling and liberating understanding of our place in the cosmic play, as we move from a static conception of ourselves to a dynamic, evolving role in an infinite process of creation.

Thanks for reading - please share your thoughts and rebuttals in the comments.
  • unenlightened
    If you haven't, read Pirsig.
  • wonderer1
    Are you aware of the rather huge amount of energy consumed by present day AIs?

What role, if any, does energy consumption (and the potential for competition for available energy) play in your vision of the future?
  • Ted Paulus

The thirst for energy from humanity and AI may indeed be limitless but I reckon there is an abundance of energy we have barely tapped into yet.
  • unenlightened

He wrote 2 books; Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and Lila. Read them in that order, or just the first. The first is about the metaphysics of quality (MOQ) and the second relates quality to morals. They are easy reads, written as novels.
    He distinguishes static and dynamic quality and makes them -as it were - the fundamental substance of the world.
    I don't want to say much more than this about the contents, they're not on anyone's curriculum because they were bestsellers. But I think they would resonate with your thoughts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.