• Cadet John Kervensley
    The concept of free will has puzzled philosophers for centuries. Do we, as humans, truly have the freedom to make choices, or are our decisions predetermined by factors beyond our control? The paradox of free will forces us to confront the nature of our autonomy and the influence of external forces, whether they be societal, biological, or even cosmic.

● Determinism vs. Free Will
    Determinism argues that every action we take is the inevitable result of prior events. This could include genetic predispositions, upbringing, societal pressures, or even the laws of physics themselves. According to hard determinism, everything in the universe, including human behavior, follows a chain of cause and effect. If this is true, then our sense of free will is merely an illusion.

On the other hand, the concept of free will holds that we have genuine control over our actions and decisions. This implies that, while we may be influenced by various factors, we have the ability to choose a different path at any given moment. In this view, humans are autonomous agents responsible for their actions.

● The Problem of Responsibility
    The paradox becomes even more profound when we consider moral responsibility. If determinism is correct, and we are not truly free, can we hold individuals accountable for their actions? How can we justify punishment or reward if every action was already determined by external causes? This challenges the very foundation of our justice system and our ideas of morality.

On the flip side, if we accept free will as a fundamental truth, how do we explain the impact of factors like mental illness, addiction, or trauma? To what extent are our choices "free" when our minds and bodies are shaped by forces we cannot control?

● Can Both Be True?
    Some philosophers, such as compatibilists, argue that free will and determinism are not mutually exclusive. They believe that while our actions may be influenced by external forces, we still possess a degree of freedom within those constraints. For instance, while our choices may be shaped by our environment, we are still capable of reflecting on those influences and making reasoned decisions.

● What Do You Believe?
    This debate raises fundamental questions about human nature, morality, and the meaning of life itself. Are we truly free, or are we simply following a predetermined path? Is there room for personal responsibility in a deterministic world?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this paradox. Do you lean more toward free will or determinism? How do you reconcile the tension between autonomy and external influences in your own life?
  • Fire Ologist
    Determinism is happening. That’s a given. Things are the way they are because of the way their causes were, and things become what they become because of the way they are.

But people, at least, in reflection, remove themselves from the causal chain and make decisions. These decisions are essentially giving their consent to the fact of the causal chain.

So we create the conditions for freedom, namely, a position removed from the deterministic causal chain, by reflecting on the objects perceived to be within the causal chain, and then developing a future possible state, selecting one future possible state, and then, now consenting to this state in the selection, rejoining the causal chain to enact a physical and fact or result of one’s choice.

Sounds fantastical. But what is reflection but a view once-removed from the initial “flection” - it’s a reflection, and so removed from the initial stimulus. (Removed from the initial movement.)

We make this reflection in our minds and in this reflection can evaluate and make a “choice”.

So the question then becomes, is anyone in control of when they will stop to reflect and consider the possibility of a making a choice? Is anyone in control of which objects they will conceptualize about and consider as choices?

I think it is difficult to actually be free - one has to be free from oneself as well as the rest of the causal chain in order to be truly removed enough to make a truly free choice, but the mechanism for freedom exists in the mechanism of self-reflection.

And in the end, a free choice is more like consent than it is a development of what someone wants. We think of freedom as arising in a desire or what we want. Like “I want ice cream and so freely choose strawberry because I like strawberry better.” But life is more like this: “whether you like it or lot, whether you want it or not, you are going to eat ice cream and you are going to choose strawberry today - do you consent?”

Basically, we on all on the causal, deterministic roller-coaster ride of life, but we have the ability to reflect on this while we are twisting and turning and looping around the tracks - we can reflect on where we are headed and consent to it, take responsibility for it in our reflection, or we just continue along the ride, leaving all physical effects to their physical causes, never reflecting on it.

Freedom, therefore, goes hand in hand with reason. There is no room for freedom in a world without reflection (reasoning), and there is no space or time for reflection absent a moment or mind where one withholds consent.

My view is close to compatibilism, but I give the free agent, the reflecting mind, enough weight to actually impact the outcome and effect change in the causal chain - to be a cause.

We stop the chain (or remove ourselves from it) by reflecting, and we create a new, uncaused object out of our concepts and choices, then consenting to this choice within our reflecting minds, effect something back in the causal chain but now creating an effect based on our choice in reflection, not an effect based on the physical chain of causes only.

We invent ourselves, invent our choices, identify ourselves with those choices, then consent to our bodies which have physical causes and effects being identical to these choices and identities in reflection thereby closing the loop and rejoining the causal chain.

Really hard to explain and really hard to make a truly free decision. We are all slaves by default. If we can identify biases, physical forces, use reason, we might be able to choose something that is otherwise uncaused by anyone but this reflective process (which is ourselves).
  • Vera Mont
    What Do You Believe?
    This debate raises fundamental questions about human nature, morality, and the meaning of life itself.
    Cadet John Kervensley
    We ask those questions all the time, regardless where stand on free will.
    Are we truly free, or are we simply following a predetermined path?
    Of course we're not 'truly' free. In order to live, we must be constrained by the environment that nurtures us and the demands of at least subsistence. We are limited by our physical and mental capabilities. We are further restrained by the society on which we depend for security and co-operation. Individually, we may also have freedoms curtailed by dependents, family ties, obligations and contracts. At most, we have freedom in a narrow range of available choices.

Is there room for personal responsibility in a deterministic world?
    It doesn't matter. We experience life as a series of options and decisions. Whether by fate or intent, we judge, act and arrange our relationshipsas if all parties were free and responsible agents. And if it's predetermined that we so, we cannot change it. If we could stop judging and acting as if we are free, we would actually disprove determinism. There's your paradox.

How do you reconcile the tension between autonomy and external influences in your own life?Cadet John Kervensley
    By accepting my limitations with as much grace as I can muster, and becoming frustrated when I can't muster enough.
  • Patterner
    There is no absolute freedom. I am limited in various ways, due to the nature of my being. I cannot flap my arms and fly to Hawaii for the weekend. I cannot ingest dirt for nutrition. I cannot bear children. On and on.

I also cannot choose various preferences. I'm the only person I've ever heard of who doesn't like, to put it mildly, beets, watermelon, or cucumbers. I've tried, many times, but nothing I can do about it.

Love Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Chopin, Debussy, Bartok. Nothing I can do about that, and wouldn't want to.

I can choose what I listen to and when, what I have for dessert, and whether or not to murder someone. Those are decisions. Each time I do or don't do one of those things, it was not the one-and-only exact thing I was capable of doing. I literally could have chosen otherwise.

So it's fine to hold criminals accountable for their actions. They didn't have to commit the crime.

Of course, if none of us had the ability to do anything other than we did, and the murderer did not have the option of not murdering, those who hold criminals accountable for their actions can't choose otherwise, either.
  • kindred

In order to answer the question of whether we are truly free we first have to know or define what freedom is. If freedom is the choice to live and make decisions freely without negatively impacting the freedom, property rights and wellbeing of others as protected by law then we are free as long as we don’t overstep the mark in terms of the effects it will have on others. Though I may be free to steal someone’s car I must live with consequence of this decision which is the removal of my freedom/liberty upon being caught and found guilty of this crime.

Freedom to do as one pleases within the realm of possibility is freedom enough as long as we operate within the laws of the land which don’t necessarily restrict freedom by having imperatives and consequences on certain choice actions such as murder, theft etc.

I’m truly free when I’m not bound by the causality of actions leading to a choice, in this respect I have free will, as long as I can make acausal choices or decisions.
  • kindred
    There is no absolute freedom. I am limited in various ways, due to the nature of my being. I cannot flap my arms and fly to Hawaii for the weekend. I cannot ingest dirt for nutrition. I cannot bear children. On and on.Patterner

You’re restricted by the physical limitations of being human, would a bird capable of flying to Hawaii have more freedom than you in this scenario? The limitation can easily be overcome if you had your own private jet to fly to Hawaii whenever you pleased.

Freedom is not absolute in this sense because of the physical limitations imposed by the universe, for example we can’t (at least yet) go faster than light. Do such physical restrictions matter to you or would unlimited freedom only apply to a being such as God?
  • Vera Mont
    It pleases us - me, anyway - to believe that we have some limited freedom to choose within the given restrictions of physics, biology, environment and social organization. We operate on that assumption, and it mostly works. Since we have no other option, we might as well be pleased.
  • Samlw
    I believe we have free will when it comes to our decisions, and if you don't you are opening up to arguing that if people do not have free will, then everyone is not responsible for their actions, which we are. Obviously there are factors, and I wouldn't disagree that the environment you are brought up in/ are in, affects how you would approach certain decisions along with many other factors such as:

Health, (both mental and physical)
    financials,
    personality,
    morals,
    religion,
    family,

You could use these factors and the data that comes along with it to predict what certain people may or may not do in a situation however, if you get it right it doesn't mean free will doesn't exist, or your a god, it just means you have predicted and analysed the situation correctly.

My main issue with the argument of no free will would be the fact that if you believed in that you would have to argue that murderers and other heinous crimes are justified because the perpetrator simply had no choice, he HAD to kill those people, its not his fault.

Throughout writing this, I have argued to myself that you could punch someone in the face at any point in the day if you wanted to, but you don't because you don't want to. Maybe that's because you aren't aggressive or you are scared of the repercussions, it could be anything, but maybe that "not wanting" to do something even though you could do it at any point, takes away part of that free will. But even then with that thought it would still argue that free will is real, it just gets hindered.
  • Wayfarer
    I recall something Krishnamurti said. Krishnamurti, in case you don’t know, was an Indian spiritual teacher who lived from the late 19th c until 1983 or so, giving talks to audiences all over the world. When asked if the will was free, he would usually answer ‘of course not, as will is the instrument of desire’.

Food for thought.
  • flannel jesus
    Do you lean more toward free will or determinism?Cadet John Kervensley

Like most professional philosophers, I'm a compatibilist.
  • Echarmion
    My main issue with the argument of no free will would be the fact that if you believed in that you would have to argue that murderers and other heinous crimes are justified because the perpetrator simply had no choice, he HAD to kill those people, its not his fault.Samlw

Is that really a necessary conclusion though? Responsibility, guilt, justification are not ontological categories but ultimately human judgements. Free will is not logically necessary for these categories to function, it's just how they're mostly used.

Throughout writing this, I have argued to myself that you could punch someone in the face at any point in the day if you wanted to, but you don't because you don't want to. Maybe that's because you aren't aggressive or you are scared of the repercussions, it could be anything, but maybe that "not wanting" to do something even though you could do it at any point, takes away part of that free will. But even then with that thought it would still argue that free will is real, it just gets hindered.Samlw

"Freedom" needs a definition. It's not something which can simply be measured empirically. That definition needs to account for reasons, for a decision without reasons is contradictory. Freedom should be distinguishable from randomness. If that's the case, then it would seem that freedom must refer to a specific kind of reasons.
  • Echarmion
    According to hard determinism, everything in the universe, including human behavior, follows a chain of cause and effect. If this is true, then our sense of free will is merely an illusion.Cadet John Kervensley

I have always thought that the use of the term illusion presupposes a conclusion that's not supported by the premises. An illusion is specifically a phenomenon which appears to be one thing but is really another. But the premise of determinism does not supply the "other". Under determinism, effect follows cause, but this doesn't explain what a decision is. Determinism cannot replace will just as will cannot replace determinism.

They believe that while our actions may be influenced by external forces, we still possess a degree of freedom within those constraints.Cadet John Kervensley

This is far from the only compatibilist stance. As I outlined above, it's not obvious why freedom and determinism must conflict given that very few people would assume that "freedom" describes a metaphysical principle which would entirely replace determinism.

Though I may be free to steal someone’s car I must live with consequence of this decision which is the removal of my freedom/liberty upon being caught and found guilty of this crime.kindred

That's not the consequence, that's a punishment. A consequence would be that you live in a world where people may take your stuff.

I’m truly free when I’m not bound by the causality of actions leading to a choice, in this respect I have free will, as long as I can make acausal choices or decisions.kindred

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. When is a decision "causal" and when is it not?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment