• Noble Dust
    That's clearly not the case, and I hope he doesn't get banned. I think the next go around I have with him--and I'm sure we won't always be in agreement like we are here--I'll have a frame of reference and won't get too upset if he decides to end the particular conversation.Erik

What the fuck? You are ok with some random anonymous internet poster saying that "we're done here", and deciding that your conversation is over, without your own personal consent?
  • Michael
    Nah, "malevolent" rarely gets thrown out as a description for Trump, as opposed to Netanyahu or Putin, and you haven't even made an argument for him being malevolent, so even you're not sure.

Feel free to show what he's done that makes him malevolent any time.
    Thanatos Sand

Saying that you should kill the family of terrorists is a pretty malevolent thing to say. And if he's being honest then it shows him to be pretty malevolent.
  • Erik
    Like I said, I think I tried to judge him according to normal standards when in fact his personality is a bit idiosyncratic.

He reminds me a bit of Gassendi from the old PF. A somewhat cranky dude who was prone to be dismissive of others but slowly gained the respect of everyone there.
  • Banno
    I basically agree.

Sand is arguably a dickhead, but if folk know he is a dickhead, it's their fault if they get caught.
  • Thanatos Sand
    I appreciate your comments, Erik, but I'd also appreciate if you could show me where I was initially cranky. I'm not saying you're lying, but I'd just appreciate a point of reference for my own knowledge's sake.
  • Noble Dust

Get caught doing what?
  • Banno
    He reminds me a bit of gassendi from the old PF.Erik

He's no Gassendi.
  • Banno
    Spending their time talking about him instead of doing something useful.

I'm just pissed that this thread is not about me.
  • Thanatos Sand
    ↪Erik I basically agree.

Sand is arguably a dickhead, but if folk know he is a dickhead, it's their fault if they get caught.

It's hostile personal attacks like this that make it funny Banno (and others) is talking about me. I've certainly never called anyone a dickhead, and nobody has shown one post where I initiated hostility. Interesting.
  • Noble Dust
    [

:P So what is it that you do or don't like about Sand? I'm the last person to ask these questions seriously, but this situation merits the discussion.
  • Thanatos Sand
    Nah, "malevolent" rarely gets thrown out as a description for Trump, as opposed to Netanyahu or Putin, and you haven't even made an argument for him being malevolent, so even you're not sure.

Feel free to show what he's done that makes him malevolent any time.
    — Thanatos Sand

Saying that you should kill the family of terrorists is a pretty malevolent thing to say. And if he's being honest then it shows him to be pretty malevolent.

Then Obama is certainly malevolent, as well. Since he not only said that, but he actually drone struck and killed a 16 year old son of a terrorist. He also discussed drone striking Assange, a non-violent journalist who exposed American war crimes.
  • Noble Dust

Nope, what makes it funny is that you are the one that has perpetrated these hostile personal attacks all along.
  • Michael
    Then Obama is certainly malevolent, as well. Since he not only said that, but he actually drone struck and killed a 16 year old son of a terrorist. He also discussed drone striking Assange, a non-violent journalist who exposed American war crimes.Thanatos Sand

Again with the whataboutism. You asked for an example of Trump's malevolency. I provided it. What's the relevance of responding with an example of another malevolent person?
  • Streetlight
    Below this magic line, no more posts about forum personalities will appear.

--------------
  • Thanatos Sand
    Sorry, streetlight. I posted before I saw the line
  • Erik
    Apologies for that. I was crafting a tactful response and didn't see this warning.
  • Streetlight
    No worries! The line is magic because posts it prohibits will simply not appear : )
  • Erik
    He's no Gassendi.Banno

I'm not going to speak ill of the dead, but I think he's every bit as knowledgeable as Gassendi.
  • Banno
    Fair call.

I enjoy a discussion that gets deep into the ideas involved. Some might recall that I enjoy a proper one-on-one debate; something wiht real depth.

I haven't seen that sort of depth in Sand's work.

I happily admit that it might be I haven't made a study of his writing; but then I've not had cause to think that worth my while.

I admire a writer who can on occasions accept a point made by another, or show growth and change, or even change their mind. Again, not seen in Sand yet. But who knows?

There are plenty of less interesting writers.
  • Thanatos Sand
    Then Obama is certainly malevolent, as well. Since he not only said that, but he actually drone struck and killed a 16 year old son of a terrorist. He also discussed drone striking Assange, a non-violent journalist who exposed American war crimes.
    — Thanatos Sand

Again with the whataboutism. You asked for an example of Trump's malevolency. I provided it. What's the relevance of responded with an example of another malevolent person?

It's not 'whataboutism;" it's pointing out the preceding president, Obama, did exactly what you called Trump malevolent for. So, since I assumed you don't consider Obama malevolent, I pointed that out to counter your argument for Trump's malevolence.

But you clearly consider Obama malevolent, too. So, although I disagree with you on the "malevolence" issue, at least you're being consistent.
  • Banno
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
  • Banno
    Not going to happen.

But that's OK, since I've yet to achieve a longest thread record on the new site.

How many posts in 69 pages?
  • Streetlight
    1.4K replies, if the front page metric is to be trusted.

And the magic line is most certainly making it happen.
  • Erik
    Let's say he's the Continetal version of Gassendi, as the latter was an obvious partisan of Analytic Philosophy and dismissive of any who didn't share his views.

But perhaps you had a much better understanding of his personality and philosophical positions than I did.
  • Banno
    1.4K repliesStreetlightX

Not near the ten thousand of previous threads. I'll have to try harder.

And the magic line is most certainly making it happen.StreetlightX

Damn. Forgot you have the bucket and mop.
  • Banno
    Gassendi was a retired professional.
  • Banno
    malevolent

Malevolence requires a will to evil.

Narcissistic personality disorder is beyond good and evil.
  • Michael
    I've yet to achieve a longest thread record on the new siteBanno

This one already is (excluding the Shoutbox, of course).
  • Banno
    Really? Cool!

Now, to beat the shoutbox...
  • Michael
    So start a discussion titled "Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth?" or whatever it was. ;)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.