• Srap Tasmaner
    I didn't say that it does. I only said that it is an unusual situation. I cannot protect or infringe upon the rights of the person inside without protecting or infringing upon the rights of the person outside. I know of no other situation like this and no way around it.
  • Gregory

It's a unique situation but a beautiful one and it's specialness doesn't grant women rights to stop the life of their unborn
  • tim wood
    Living inside someone doesn't mean less rights.Gregory
    If I live in your house you have to provide me with utilities? C'mon!
  • tim wood
    It's a unique situation but a beautiful one and it's specialness doesn't grant women rights to stop the life of their unbornGregory

But in your argument, what obliges a woman to maintain that life?
  • Gregory

I said a woman has rights over her body not someone else's. Also, where is you infallible argument that proves when life rights begin? I show respect for life on this. You're willing to say "maybe in some reality it's not human so I'll kill it"
  • tim wood
    I said a woman has rights over her body not someone else's.Gregory
    And if in the exercise of that right her fetus dies, what's that to you?

Also, where is you infallible argument that proves when life rights begin?Gregory
    Right here. Life does not begin in the womb. Therefore on that argument, no "life rights" begin in the womb.

I show respect for life on this.Gregory
    Actually, in your ignorance, you don't, not least because you don't know what you're talking about.

You're willing to say "maybe in some reality it's not human so I'll kill it"Gregory
    For an anti-sophist, you aspire a lot. I've never even thought such a thing.

Since reason is beyond you, try for a simple relevant fact. Can you do that? Just a single, simple, relevant fact.
  • TheMadFool
    There are many more unwanted pregnancies than can be explained by failure of contraception. Irresponsible, lazy, careless, idiotic, heartless men...and women!
  • Gregory

So birth gives rights. Prove it
  • tim wood
    So birth gives rights. Prove itGregory
    Nothing to prove. I think everyone agrees. And "since time immemorial," always has agreed.
  • Gregory

Hell no they don't.
  • Gregory

You're saying that before birth you can take the life and after you can't. Why does the birth grant rights?
  • Gregory
    when dies it become a body,tim wood

Huh?
  • tim wood
    You're saying that before birth you can take the life and after you can't. Why does the birth grant rights?Gregory

I wish the f**k you were a responsible interlocutor and not the ignorant clown that you are. Even allowing for your shortcomings you're annoying. I never, ever said this.

Nor did I ever say that birth grants rights. i simply acknowledged that (to my knowledge), all responsible persons pretty much anywhere anytime have agreed upon and accepted that standard. Try to pay attention to the conversation and what is actually said.
  • Gregory
    If I live in your house you have to provide me with utilities?tim wood

Horrible

what obliges a woman to maintain that life?tim wood

Horrible

Life does not begin in the womb.tim wood

Do you admit you have no proof of this?

Who differs?tim wood

Some say only their race have rights
  • tim wood
    My bad. Should be, "Wnen does it become a body."
  • Srap Tasmaner
    it's specialness doesn't grant women rights to stop the life of their unbornGregory

That's plausible, but you're forgetting that the situation is unique. Maybe it does grant a unique right. Maybe not. But now at least it's clear that if the state wishes to protect or infringe upon some right, this would be the one, if it exists.

What I mean is, this is the clearer option, so we don't have to deal with the conundrum of the rights of a person only accessible to state action literally through another person. Under this approach, the rights of a person inside another and dependent upon them only come into it insofar as the outer person may, or may not, have the power of life and death over them. (What's that called in Roman law, @Ciceronianus?) Only as a limit, or the absence of a limit, on the behavior of a person who has a person living inside them and dependent on them.

And then that's what we'd have to decide, whether the outer person has such a right, and whether it is limited. How do we go about that?
  • Gregory
    I wish the f**k you were a responsible interlocutor and not the ignorant clown that you are. Even allowing for your shortcomings you're annoying. I never, ever said this.

Nor did I ever say that birth grants rights. i simply acknowledged that (to my knowledge), all responsible persons pretty much anywhere anytime have agreed upon and accepted that standard. Try to pay attention to the conversation and what is actually said.
    tim wood

No YOU are being dishonest. You say the unborn have no rights. You have no evidence. But you ask me to prove the contrary. I said we must assume rights unless proven otherwise. That's the natural human way of looking on this. You say a mother has no obligation to the unborn? What world do you live in
  • Gregory
    "Wnen does it become a body."tim wood

You need to come down.
  • tim wood
    Life does not begin in the womb.
    — tim wood

Do you admit you have no proof of this?
    Gregory

You really don't understand, do you. No life begins in the body. Think about it for a t least a second or two. If life began in the body, from what is it emerging?
  • Gregory
    And then that's what we'd have to decide, whether the outer person has such a right, and whether it is limited. How do we go about that?Srap Tasmaner

You are not talking about a right to life of the mother but the "right" of her to take the rights of the unborn
  • Gregory
    No life begins in the body. Think about it for a t least a second or two. If life began in the body, from what is it emerging?tim wood

It's a human inside a human. duh
  • tim wood
    HorribleGregory

HorribleGregory

You need to come down.Gregory

I task you with reason and not to be both ignorant and stupid, and you cannot do any of it! You want horrible? Look in a mirror!
  • Gregory
    You want horrible? Look in a mirror!tim wood

Well read over my responses, I'll read over yours, and have good day and come down
  • tim wood
    No YOU are being dishonest. You say the unborn have no rights.Gregory

Never did I say that. You are very confused.
  • tim wood
    You say a mother has no obligation to the unborn?Gregory

Never did I say this either.

Where I come from it's bad form to tell people what they said, if they didn't say it.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    You are not talking about a right to life of the mother but the "right" of her to take the rights of the unbornGregory

That is correct. She may, or may not, have exactly such a right and it may, or may not, be limited. Pregnant women are unique in a way we cannot pretend not to notice, just as the people -- granting your claim that a fertilized egg is a person, for the moment -- inside them are in a unique position.
  • Gregory
    But in your argument, what obliges a woman to maintain that life?tim wood
  • Gregory

Rights come from humanity
  • tim wood
    It's a human inside a human. duhGregory

Th "duh" would appear to be the apex of your intellectual achievement. You appear to be arguing that life begins in the womb. What life would that be and from what did it come?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.